Admissions help-What are my chances

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
quantum1618

Admissions help-What are my chances

Postby quantum1618 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:14 pm

Here is my profile. I was wondering what tier of schools I should look to apply to. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Top 75 Liberal Arts College
Major: Economics and Mathematics
LSDAS GPA: 3.30 (My LSDAS GPA for my last 2 years of undergrad is 3.85. My sophomore year I had some health issues that led to 2.7 for the year. My freshman GPA is pretty ugly too)
LSAT: 171
Interests: Tax law, International Law, Business Law
Other Information: Graduated three years ago and entered the Marine Corps as an Officer, and looking to apply to law school for fall 2013 admissions.

spleenworship

Re: Admissions help-What are my chances

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:22 pm

quantum1618 wrote:Here is my profile. I was wondering what tier of schools I should look to apply to. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Top 75 Liberal Arts College
Major: Economics and Mathematics

LSDAS GPA: 3.30 (My LSDAS GPA for my last 2 years of undergrad is 3.85. My sophomore year I had some health issues that led to 2.7 for the year. My freshman GPA is pretty ugly too)
LSAT: 171
Interests: Tax law, International Law, Business Law
Other Information: Graduated three years ago and entered the Marine Corps as an Officer, and looking to apply to law school for fall 2013 admissions.

I removed everything unimportant. Personally I would hit the whole T25. The T3 is probably out, but USMC might work it out for you... I think Yale and Harvard have both taken previous military with lower scores in the last decade or so. You really aren't losing much except some cash by applying there, even if you aren't likely to get in. T4-6 are stretches for you, but not impossible, from what I have seen.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:26 pm

I think the lowest GPA Yale took last cycle was a 3.6. I would assume HYS is out. CCN is a big reach. The rest of the T14 is a possibility.

quantum1618

Postby quantum1618 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:38 pm

I don't really understand why an admissions committee would not take into account the major or the school I attended. Don't get me wrong, but there is a very large difference between getting an A in basket weaving 101 and an A in Abstract Algebra (which involves a lot of logic, analysis, and deep intellectual thought that, in my humble opinion, would led to success in law school). Also, does a strong upward grade trend not have any bearing on admissions decisions? It is my understanding that in the case of a low GPA, a very strong upward grade trend will be viewed favorably.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:43 pm

quantum1618 wrote:I don't really understand why an admissions committee would not take into account the major or the school I attended. Don't get me wrong, but there is a very large difference between getting an A in basket weaving 101 and an A in Abstract Algebra (which involves a lot of logic, analysis, and deep intellectual thought that, in my humble opinion, would led to success in law school).

Yeah, but consensus seems to be that it doesn't matter *all that* much, and should only be thought of as a tie-breaker. After all, USNWR rankings only factor LSDAS GPA, with no weighting system (as far as I'm aware of).

quantum1618 wrote:Also, does a strong upward grade trend not have any bearing on admissions decisions? It is my understanding that in the case of a low GPA, a very strong upward grade trend will be viewed favorably.

It will be viewed *somewhat* favorably, but again an upward trend will probably only really matter as a tie-breaker.

Overall, hard classes and an upward trend may give you the push if you're already somewhat qualified for the school(s) in question, but it's not like URM status (in that it won't make an unacceptable candidate acceptable).

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:49 pm

quantum1618 wrote:I don't really understand why an admissions committee would not take into account the major or the school I attended. Don't get me wrong, but there is a very large difference between getting an A in basket weaving 101 and an A in Abstract Algebra (which involves a lot of logic, analysis, and deep intellectual thought that, in my humble opinion, would led to success in law school). Also, does a strong upward grade trend not have any bearing on admissions decisions? It is my understanding that in the case of a low GPA, a very strong upward grade trend will be viewed favorably.

It's not hard to understand if you realize why they care about LSAT and GPA in the first place. It's all about the USNWR rankings, and they do NOT list your major or school in these. Therefore, they couldnt care less about what you majored in or where you went.

EDIT: It could matter very little at the margins. It could possibly matter a tiny little bit.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:03 pm

quantum1618 wrote:I don't really understand why an admissions committee would not take into account the major or the school I attended. Don't get me wrong, but there is a very large difference between getting an A in basket weaving 101 and an A in Abstract Algebra (which involves a lot of logic, analysis, and deep intellectual thought that, in my humble opinion, would led to success in law school). Also, does a strong upward grade trend not have any bearing on admissions decisions? It is my understanding that in the case of a low GPA, a very strong upward grade trend will be viewed favorably.

You should think of it this way, selective law schools are going to want applicants who stand out and are unique in some way, either with excellent LSAT scores, excellent GPA, or excellent, rare softs - or URM status. At the end of the day there are so many majors, some easier or harder than others, that there's no way too objectively measure that. And there will be plenty of "hard majors" with great GPA's applying as well.

I also went to a law school fair a year or so ago and the question I kept hearing 0L's ask the reps was "I have a strong upward trend will that be taken into consideration" and the reps nodding their head yes, so that's again not a unique thing for you. Don't count on adcoms caring about GPA trends. The only soft that makes a difference for you is being a marine.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:19 pm

They don't care about anything but GPA/LSAT/Outstanding softs. Sorry, but it is true except for a few schools. And even then, those three are still their primary categories for sorting. Being a Marine is good for you... otherwise your numbers are your numbers.

Harvard will take a 3.9/178 who majored in Basket Weaving and Interpretive Dance over a 3.5/172 Math/Philosophy major 95% of the time. Seriously. Look at the statistics.

quantum1618

Postby quantum1618 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Thank you every one for the responses. They certainly provide the insight I was looking for. Also, thanks to everyone else for providing me with more information on the criterion for admissions. Although economics and mathematics were interesting majors, I suppose I would have been better off majoring in basket weaving and interpretive dance :D. I wish everyone the best of luck in admissions (should you be applying) and the best of luck with the rest of studies/career (should you be at that point).

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:54 pm

quantum1618 wrote:Thank you every one for the responses. They certainly provide the insight I was looking for. Also, thanks to everyone else for providing me with more information on the criterion for admissions. Although economics and mathematics were interesting majors, I suppose I would have been better off majoring in basket weaving and interpretive dance :D. I wish everyone the best of luck in admissions (should you be applying) and the best of luck with the rest of studies/career (should you be at that point).

Look on the bright side - if law doesn't work out, you're in a hell of a better place to start a career than those of us that majored in useless liberal arts.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:34 pm

coldshoulder wrote:
Look on the bright side - if law doesn't work out, you're in a hell of a better place to start a career than those of us that majored in useless liberal arts.

+10000

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”