Can this get me in trouble at all?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jaeger

Can this get me in trouble at all?

Postby Jaeger » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Today, one of my "safe" schools sent me this email, several weeks after accepting me and making me a scholarship offer:

Dear xxx,

Based on information received from the Law School Admissions Council, I am pleased to inform you that your profile suggests you are a possible candidate for admission to the University xxxx Law School. I hope you will considering applying to xxxx Law School and have waived your application fee should you decide to do so.

....[edited but basically saying how much they'd value having me as a student]

Sincerely,

xxx

I found this rather annoying and hastily shot back this reply:

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to send me a fee waiver and encouraging me to apply. Unfortunately, it is a bit late. I have already applied and was accepted to the University xxxx Law School. If you'd like to reimburse the application fee, that would be fantastic. If not, I will continue to weigh your offer.

Thank you,

xxxx

I don't really intend on going to this school so I'm not too worried, but bad form?

Doorkeeper

Re: Can this get me in trouble at all?

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Bad form, yet hilarious.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:05 pm

I don't think you're going to get in trouble. I also don't think they will reimburse your application fee. But I agree, your email feels a bit catty.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:08 pm

This may be one reason why Illinois' former admissions dean coined a special phrase for law school applicants.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:01 pm

What a douche thing to do. Why even respond, and who cares about a fee waiver anyway?

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:04 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:What a douche thing to do. Why even respond, and who cares about a fee waiver anyway?

If I'm not going there, why wouldn't I want the $70 back?

lawhaus

Postby lawhaus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:53 am

I doubt schools check their mailing list twice before they send these advertising emails.
They overlooked, just delete it!

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:59 am

Jaeger wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:What a douche thing to do. Why even respond, and who cares about a fee waiver anyway?

If I'm not going there, why wouldn't I want the $70 back?

If its a safety school, who cares? I regularly reply to emails from TTTs "I will not be applying your law school. Do not contact me again."

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Curious1 wrote:If its a safety school, who cares?

Because people talk, and you never know who's going to read that e-mail and remember, or get pissed off and forward it to other deans of admission.

To OP, asking for a refund for an application fee after being given a waiver isn't necessarily bad form, but your e-mail does come off as a bit disrespectful. A good rule of thumb is that whenever you're committing something to a permanent form (which includes e-mail), pretend you're writing it to someone whose opinion you do care about.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:59 pm

I sent a similar email to WashU, albeit with a nicer tone and they sent me a form and check a couple weeks later (and eventually admitted me). I don't think it's an outrageous thing to ask for.

I got my head bit off by TLS for writing a withdraw from waitlist email (while I was a bit cranky) that basically said my situation has changed to where I don't see myself matriculating if admitted so I want to respectfully withdraw my app. The dean responded with the typical email: "thanks for letting us know, we'll withdraw your app, and good luck on your future endeavors".

Don't worry about it.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:13 am

JDizzle2015 wrote:I sent a similar email to WashU, albeit with a nicer tone and they sent me a form and check a couple weeks later (and eventually admitted me). I don't think it's an outrageous thing to ask for.

I got my head bit off by TLS for writing a withdraw from waitlist email (while I was a bit cranky) that basically said my situation has changed to where I don't see myself matriculating if admitted so I want to respectfully withdraw my app. The dean responded with the typical email: "thanks for letting us know, we'll withdraw your app, and good luck on your future endeavors".

Don't worry about it.

I actually got an email back that said they'd look into a refund. A bit surprised, but I'll take it.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:45 am

I don't think it was THAT snarky, but I have a dry sense of humor and I read it in a more light-hearted tone. To be honest, I think it probably made someone chuckle.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Not in trouble, but you might have just screwed yourself out of $$$

I asked for a fee waiver from ND, was told they only do through CRS... I ended up applying, then a week later got a fee-waiver.

I replied to our e-mail convo from lady who told me no to fee waiver originally with this:

I ended up receiving a fee waiver through CRS on November 7, but I applied to Notre Dame on November 2 (as of this e-mail it is still being transmitted on LSAC). I was wondering if there is any way I could have my application fee reimbursed?

Thank you,
XXXXXX
LSAC Account Number: XXXXX

and received this response:

Hello XXXXXX,

Thank you for your email. We will refund your application fee and it will be mailed to the address we have on file. Please allow two weeks for the check to be processed through our Accounts Payable Department.

Best wishes,

XXXXXX

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”