How important is it where you went to undergrad?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bdm261

How important is it where you went to undergrad?

Postby bdm261 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:47 pm

I will graduate in December 2012 from the University of Akron in Akron, OH with a B.A. in Interpersonal/Public Communication.

I am really worried where I went to UG will keep me out of law school. On all the lists of 'undergrad institutions represented' on LS websites and view books, I never see "University of Akron" on the list. I am worried my school is looked at as being like 'DeVry' or something.

Is University of Akron taken seriously by law schools. Even at Akron's law school, I don't even think a lot of U Akron grads are represented.

Did anyone go to a similar ranked school or U of A and get into LS?

FeelTheHeat

Re: How important is it where you went to undergrad?

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:47 pm

You are fine. Do well on the LSAT.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:52 pm

It's easily one of the least important parts of your application; you're fine.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:02 pm

I felt the same way (also went to a public university in Ohio that's not OSU) but it didn't hurt me in the slightest (it may help if they are looking for certain quotas to fill). Good luck.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:04 pm

It's probably the twelfth most important tiebreaker between you and a person with otherwise identical application packages, just slightly more important than astrological sign and favorite food.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:13 pm

The reason some schools might not be well represented by top law schools is not because LS have a low opinion of it, but because individuals who take the LSAT from those schools generally score poorly. LS won't care at all about your school

My UG LSAC report

Hasn't hurt my cycle at all

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:14 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Image

Dat LSAT :shock:

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:25 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:Image

Dat LSAT :shock:

haha its just a local school 10 minutes from my house that's known as high school's around here "13th grade." Its basically a slight step up from community college / a teacher making factory.

The average student here is also.. really, really, really dumb. The questions that get asked in class just makes me feel bad for the professors for having to teach at such an institution tbh

I only knew of 3 students that took the LSAT in October with me, 1 told me his score (it was a 140 I think), the other 2 just stated they "REALLY" bombed it.

It is kind of amusing that if I state i had a 167 there I'm looked at like I'm some all-knowing deity. On TLS its low as hell lol

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:37 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:The average student here is also.. really, really, really dumb. The questions that get asked in class just makes me feel bad for the professors for having to teach at such an institution tbh

I'm pretty sure that's true of most schools.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:The reason some schools might not be well represented by top law schools is not because LS have a low opinion of it, but because individuals who take the LSAT from those schools generally score poorly. LS won't care at all about your school

My UG LSAC report

Hasn't hurt my cycle at all

My favorite part is that the like forty percent of the students have a 3.8 or higher. This is where I get cranky about all undergrads counting the same.

SehMeSerrious

Postby SehMeSerrious » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:58 pm

TBF standardized tests aren't really a good measure of anything (though obviously there is a generally correlation between success and testing.)

I know some geniuses who graduated with high honors from MIT, Carnegie Mellon, and other top engineering instituations with high GPAs (some got accelerated Master's as well) that bombed the LSAT hard - to the point that they couldn't get into a T1 school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”