One Bad Undergrad Semester...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Eirhoff73

One Bad Undergrad Semester...

Postby Eirhoff73 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:29 am

I broke one of my metacarpals on my right hand after the beginning of this semester (and yes, I'm right handed). This and the fact that I signed up for twenty three credit hours this semester has me a little concerned about my GPA. If I'm typically a 4.0 student, can I explain away a semester if I had a broken hand?

By the way, the thing that saved my butt this semester (so far) is my Dragon app for my MacBook. I wrote a twelve page essay for a Environmental Science in a matter of a couple hours. I can't recommend it enough.

sunynp

Re: One Bad Undergrad Semester...

Postby sunynp » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:48 am

No, you won't explain away your semester with a broken hand. No one will care. You should take fewer hours and keep your 4.0 if at all possible. Take another semester to graduate if you have to do so.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm not trying to be rude but just honest, since I'm in a similar situation

My 2nd semester freshman year I received a 0.00. My family experienced multiple deaths / I stopped attending class and was stupid enough to not even withdrawal. I tried to get the semester expunged but had no success. Since that semester I've had all 4.0's. If you take away that semester my GPA is a 3.9+. With that semester my GPA is a 3.48... My cycle has gone 100% of what my numbers would predict it would have gone. I wrote an addendum but schools still only care about the numbers

Rock the LSAT and minimize the damage to your gpa

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Taking 23 credit hours is insane. You may get a good grade(it's all you want though) but you do not fully learn/prepare/understand the course materials... :lol:

By the way, do NOT choke a baby to death. It makes me wanna barf :cry:
Last edited by lovejopd on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

d.schoenfeld16

Postby d.schoenfeld16 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Why in the world would you take 23 credit hours in a semester? If you truly want to go to law school, they don't care about honors or course load or anything other than your actual GPA number.

Eirhoff73

Postby Eirhoff73 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:06 pm

I was sending an inquiry about a class and it was added onto my schedule. I figured that I could handle it. I have had success with eighteen credit hours and will do just fine with 23. I just worry that it won't be a 4.0 semester. If I get one semester of 3.5, that won't kill my GPA all that much. As far as slowing down goes, I don't have the luxury of time. I have a goal of 40 for law school.

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:00 am

I don't see a credible way to explain why a subpar semester is based solely on having a broken hand - especially when one is taking 23 credit hours (on paper/transcripts, the latter would seem the obvious reason why someone would slip in their GPA).

There are usually disability services on campus where students can have notes taken for them by other students in their class. Or asking professors for notes before classes. Ambidexterity is always an option. And one could always type papers and use the computer with one hand.

If the school is not accommodating or lacking in resources, then a logical person would likely want to know why, in light of these deficient resources, you continued to take 23 credit hours when your hand hindered your academic success.

^And I hope you don't mean taking 40 credit hrs/semester during law school. I don't it's realistic to think you can "James Franco" your way through law school. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say that the "40" was intended to be 4.0 GPA...still super optimistic, but whatever.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:32 am

cylon_clone wrote:^And I hope you don't mean taking 40 credit hrs/semester during law school. I don't it's realistic to think you can "James Franco" your way through law school. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say that the "40" was intended to be 4.0 GPA...still super optimistic, but whatever.

Or age. Look at the OP's name. Born in 73 would mean 39. Wants to be in law school by 40.

Eirhoff73

Postby Eirhoff73 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:49 am

dolfan0516 wrote:
cylon_clone wrote:^And I hope you don't mean taking 40 credit hrs/semester during law school. I don't it's realistic to think you can "James Franco" your way through law school. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say that the "40" was intended to be 4.0 GPA...still super optimistic, but whatever.

Or age. Look at the OP's name. Born in 73 would mean 39. Wants to be in law school by 40.

We have a winner!

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:39 pm

Eirhoff73 wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:

We have a winner!

Sorry, I was distracted by the hand strangling a baby to focus on the name. :?

But, what's an extra semester when it could mean avoiding 23 credit hrs with a broken hand? Not trying to sound like an ageist, but once you reach 40 it's already a little later in life.

Eirhoff73

Postby Eirhoff73 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:48 am

cylon_clone wrote:
Eirhoff73 wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:

We have a winner!

Sorry, I was distracted by the hand strangling a baby to focus on the name. :?

But, what's an extra semester when it could mean avoiding 23 credit hrs with a broken hand? Not trying to sound like an ageist, but once you reach 40 it's already a little later in life.

Give the baby thing a rest (not a real choking).

Three of the credits were not intentional. Long story.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”