Letters of Recommendation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawquestions1

New

Letters of Recommendation

Post by lawquestions1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:54 pm

Hey, I am applying this fall.
I need to start figuring out which professors to ask letters of recommendation from and I was wondering if I would need to request an electronic copy of the letter or a physical letter or both. I was looking at the LSAC website and it doesn't really say what format the letter of recommendation needs to be. If my professors give me a physical copy, can I open it and scan it to upload it to my application online?
Thanks in advance.

mtyler19

Bronze

Re: Letters of Recommendation

Post by mtyler19 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:59 pm

lawquestions1 wrote:Hey, I am applying this fall.
I need to start figuring out which professors to ask letters of recommendation from and I was wondering if I would need to request an electronic copy of the letter or a physical letter or both. I was looking at the LSAC website and it doesn't really say what format the letter of recommendation needs to be. If my professors give me a physical copy, can I open it and scan it to upload it to my application online?
Thanks in advance.
No. They need to mail their own physical copy to LSAT themselves, you are not allowed to look at it because you signed a waiver on the letter of recommendation form.

lawquestions1

New

Post by lawquestions1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:05 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
Thanks in advance.
No. They need to mail their own physical copy to LSAT themselves, you are not allowed to look at it as you signed a waiver on the letter of recommendation form.
I wanted to ask my professors early, so they will have time and not shuffle me off midst other requests for letters of recommendation. Can they start sending in the letters now? If so, then should I start my LSAC application? Now being February to May range.

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:08 pm

lawquestions1 wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:
Thanks in advance.
No. They need to mail their own physical copy to LSAT themselves, you are not allowed to look at it as you signed a waiver on the letter of recommendation form.
I wanted to ask my professors early, so they will have time and not shuffle me off midst other requests for letters of recommendation. Can they start sending in the letters now? If so, then should I start my LSAC application? Now being February to May range.
If you've already signed up for CAS they can send them in and LSAC will process them. You don't have to start any actual applications yet (I don't think you can for fall 2013 until around September), they will just be there and already ready when you do start them later.

lawquestions1

New

Post by lawquestions1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:13 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
lawquestions1 wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:
Thanks in advance.
If you've already signed up for CAS they can send them in and LSAC will process them. You don't have to start any actual applications yet (I don't think you can for fall 2013 until around September), they will just be there and already ready when you do start them later.
Thank you!

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:17 pm

lawquestions1 wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:
lawquestions1 wrote:
mtyler19 wrote: No. They need to mail their own physical copy to LSAT themselves, you are not allowed to look at it as you signed a waiver on the letter of recommendation form.
Thank you!
No prob! :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”