Do law schhols factor in the difficulity of a major.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eblees

Do law schhols factor in the difficulity of a major.

Postby eblees » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:24 am

for example if an English major received a 3.8 and biomedical engineering major received a 3.7.

yngblkgifted

Re: Do law schhols factor in the difficulity of a major.

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:50 am

Short answer: no.

I guess if two applicants were the same across the board, difficulty of major could be a tie breaker, but this scenario is highly unlikely.

Basically, schools want high GPA and high LSAT. USWNR doesn't report difficulty of majors.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:51 am

Some of what you don't gain in admissions you get back in IP hiring bump. Since it's all about employment in the end, this isn't such a bad trade.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:54 am

IAFG wrote:Some of what you don't gain in admissions you get back in IP hiring bump. Since it's all about employment in the end, this isn't such a bad trade.

credited

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:57 am

also, if your gpa is really low, it is probably a bit better for it to be low in something really hard than in something easy. I think if the difference between the two hypotheticals doesn't affect the median, then there is a difference.

Liquox

Postby Liquox » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:22 pm

also biochem/biomed. i asked a t20 prof of law how majors factored. he said if the lsats are similar and the gpa isn't off by that much (.1 isn't that much), they're more likely to pick the major that isn't represented as much. on the other hand, if your gpa's a 3.5 like mine, the 3.8 eng major has the upper hand with the same lsat score.

LawperaMan

Postby LawperaMan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:09 pm

According to many of the deans in the "How to get into the top law schools" book, it both helps and hurts. They give you some credit for the difficulty of the coursework, but worry that hard science majors lack writing and interpersonal skills. If you have a science background, make sure you nail you PS and highlight any writing classes or any thing similar you may have taken

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”