UC Davis VS UC Hastings (Which is harder to get in?)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Charles_Darwin

UC Davis VS UC Hastings (Which is harder to get in?)

Postby Charles_Darwin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:21 pm

I pretty much got a response from all the schools I applied for except for UC Davis and UC Hastings. This final stretch is killing me. I know Davis has a higher ranking but some say that Hastings is a better school and also harder to get in? Is this true even when Davis has a much higher ranking?

bk1

Re: UC Davis VS UC Hastings (Which is harder to get in?)

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:29 pm

1. They are peer schools.

2. For figuring out which is harder to get into: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:01 pm

Over the past few years, UC Davis has been better about catering to US News and Review's wishes. So, presumably those with lower numbers have a marginally harder time getting into Davis. Hastings has a lower acceptance rate, but accepts more people because more people apply to it.

aliceydu

Postby aliceydu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:08 pm

I just got a call from Hastings today saying I'm accepted. I'm still waiting to hear back from Davis though.
My GPA was 3.61 and LSAT was 161.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Charles_Darwin wrote:I pretty much got a response from all the schools I applied for except for UC Davis and UC Hastings. This final stretch is killing me. I know Davis has a higher ranking but some say that Hastings is a better school and also harder to get in? Is this true even when Davis has a much higher ranking?

The correct word is "into". Just sayin'. As for your question, I think Davis is the more selective school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:18 pm

PDaddy wrote:The correct word is "into".

Oh so you're the Grammar Police now?

aliceydu

Postby aliceydu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:29 pm

PDaddy wrote:
Charles_Darwin wrote:I pretty much got a response from all the schools I applied for except for UC Davis and UC Hastings. This final stretch is killing me. I know Davis has a higher ranking but some say that Hastings is a better school and also harder to get in? Is this true even when Davis has a much higher ranking?

The correct word is "into". Just sayin'. As for your question, I think Davis is the more selective school.

If you want to be meticulous, then the correct phrase is "get in to," and not "get into."

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:16 am

No, "get into" is correct. "get in to" is incorrect ("get in to" means "get in, in order to").

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:11 am

PDaddy wrote:

Why is get in incorrect?

defdef

Postby defdef » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:46 am

Would you say "I got in Hastings" or "I got into Hastings"?

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:50 pm

"get in" is also correct, because "in" can also mean "into," at least traditionally. Modern usage tends to differentiate the two, however.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”