Be Wary of LSAC

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
miller1787

Be Wary of LSAC

Postby miller1787 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:11 pm

I've already written on this topic in a different post below, but I just wanted to warn applicants to be wary of their dealings with LSAC. After initially starting a binding early decision application for one school, I decided that I wanted to apply non-binding, and as a result, decided to delete that application and start a new one. When my application was transmitted to the school in question, however, it arrived as a binding application. I am convinced that there was a technical glitch that caused my old, binding application, to be comibined with the new, non-binding one.

I have strong evidence, that I presented to LSAC, that indicates that I transmitted a non-binding application on my end to said school. In both my account (once you click on school list), and under the transmitted application link for completed applications, it showed a non-binding application. Nevertheless, LSAC refused to admit any mistakes. Moreover, they have now edited my account so that it shows the binding application they claim I transmitted. Luckily, I took screenshots of both before they changed it, but nevertheless, I am extremely frustrated with their inability to not only admit mistakes, but try to cover their own tracks.

If anyone is still submitting applications, I would save a copy of it before it is actually transmitted so that you have proof of the app on your end. I am not trying to be an alarmist, but this mistake on LSAC's end could potentially cost me serious $$ in scholarships.

*Edited for grammar--- woops. Sorry. My anger has me in a spell.
Last edited by miller1787 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rinkrat19

Re: Be Weary of LSAC

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:15 pm

*wary

Unless you actually mean 'weary,' as in 'fatigued.'

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:16 pm

miller1787 wrote:I've already written on this topic in a different post below, but I just wanted to warn applicants to be weary of their dealings with LSAC. After initially starting a binding early decision application for one school, I decided that I wanted to apply non-binding, and as a result, decided to delete that application and start a new one. When my application was transmitted to the school in question, however, it arrived as a binding application. I am convinced that there was a technical glitch that caused my old, binding application, to be comibined with the new, non-binding one.

I have strong evidence, that I presented to LSAC, that indicates that I transmitted a non-binding application on my end to said school. In both my account (once you click on school list), and under the transmitted application link for completed applications, it showed a non-binding application. Nevertheless, LSAC refused to admit any mistakes. Moreover, they have now edited my account so that it shows the binding application they claim I transmitted. Luckily, I took screenshots of both before they changed it, but nevertheless, I am extremely frustrated with their inability to not only admit mistakes, but try to cover their own tracks.

If anyone is still submitting applications, I would save a copy of it before it is actually transmitted so that you have proof of the app on your end. I am not trying to be an alarmist, but this mistake on LSAC's end could potentially cost me serious $$ in scholarships.

rinkrat19 wrote:*wary

Beat me to it.
Last edited by stillwater on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:16 pm

:D Came here to make the same correction. You and me, we're going to get along well.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:19 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

:D Came here to make the same correction. You and me, we're going to get along well.
8) *high five*

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:22 pm

LSAC screwed up one of my apps as well. They transmitted it without the 'Education' section, despite the fact that that section showed up fine when I previewed it. Only the heading of the 'Education' section showed up on the transmitted version - none of the questions or answers were there. When I emailed them, they fixed it and resubmitted the application within a couple of days, though.

It made me weary and wary.

kakaa001

Re: Be Wary of LSAC

Postby kakaa001 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:25 pm

I had a strange issue with LSAC as well. They didn't charge me an application fee for one of my applications, and I did not receive an application waiver whatsoever. I emailed LSAC and they said "Maybe this school waives application fees!" I also emailed the school about it, as its one of my top choices. The school said to "Contact LSAC."

It took a month for the school to contact me about this missing fee and informed me that my application was not under review. I sent them pdfs of all my email correspondance, and while the school waived the application fee (because of my early action to attempt to correct this), I'm still worried it jeopardized my chances because of the month. I didn't need the fee waiver.

And naturally, LSAC had nothing to say about the issue after contacting them once more (after the school contacted me).

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:27 pm

kakaa001 wrote:I had a strange issue with LSAC as well. They didn't charge me an application fee for one of my applications, and I did not receive an application waiver whatsoever. I emailed LSAC and they said "Maybe this school waives application fees!" I also emailed the school about it, as its one of my top choices. The school said to "Contact LSAC."

It took a month for the school to contact me about this missing fee and informed me that my application was not under review. I sent them pdfs of all my email correspondance, and while the school waived the application fee (because of my early action to attempt to correct this), I'm still worried it jeopardized my chances because of the month. I didn't need the fee waiver.

And naturally, LSAC had nothing to say about the issue after contacting them once more (after the school contacted me).

That's the beauty of bureaucracy :lol:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:37 pm

LSAC mis-typed one of my attended institutions as '[City] State University' not '[City] Community College,' so it showed that I was "missing" a transcript from a school I'd never attended. I called them. They fixed it. The end.

The moral of the story is: don't wait weeks to call and find out wtf went wrong. Be proactive. The people at LSAC are mostly pretty helpful.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:31 pm

That's pretty funny that they tried to cover their tracks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”