How much does applying in one's home state matter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

How much does applying in one's home state matter?

Postby Geetar Man » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:39 pm

As the title states, how much does applying to a LS that is in your primary state of residence matter?

Does applying to a school in your state affect the adcoms decisions? Or do they not give a shit about that.

I know that numbers are the most important factors, but I'm looking for people's stories, in which where they had lower numbers than the school normally takes but since they have lived in the state their entire lives, the adcoms saw this in a favorable light for the applicant.

More specifically, I'm not talking about the T14. Rather, T15-T50.

Also, I know this isn't quantifiable. So dont even go there.

Any insight?

TIA!

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: How much does applying in one's home state matter?

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 pm

Geetar Man wrote:As the title states, how much does applying to a LS that is in your primary state of residence matter?

Does applying to a school in your state affect the adcoms decisions? Or do they not give a shit about that.

I know that numbers are the most important factors, but I'm looking for people's stories, in which where they had lower numbers than the school normally takes but since they have lived in the state their entire lives, the adcoms saw this in a favorable light for the applicant.

More specifically, I'm not talking about the T14. Rather, T15-T50.

Any insight?

TIA!


depends on the school. I got UT with sub-par numbers, likely because I'm a longtime Texas resident and I believe they have to take a certain % of Texas residents.

ETA: I know some consider Texas "T14" but my point is, if the school has a quota, it can work in your favor.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: How much does applying in one's home state matter?

Postby gaud » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:43 pm

I do not have a personal story, but I do know that there are law schools that have the 'bias'

UT Austin : --LinkRemoved--

UofA admits slight preference for in-state : http://www.law.arizona.edu/admissions/faq.cfm

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: How much does applying in one's home state matter?

Postby Geetar Man » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:04 pm

gaud wrote:I do not have a personal story, but I do know that there are law schools that have the 'bias'

UT Austin : --LinkRemoved--

UofA admits slight preference for in-state : http://www.law.arizona.edu/admissions/faq.cfm



FUCK YES. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. I'm a life-long resident of AZ (graduate of the UofA, undergrad in Tucson) and looking to get into the UA with a >25% gpa. Even though it's a slight preference, I think I have a good shot. I also know one of the associate deans. :)


I'm glad I asked, and I'm more glad that you posted this. Thanks!

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: How much does applying in one's home state matter?

Postby apollo2015 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:08 pm

If your numbers seem "too good to be true" for a school, you may have a greater likelihood of being Yield Protected if you are from out of state.

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: How much does applying in one's home state matter?

Postby Geetar Man » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:13 pm

apollo2015 wrote:If your numbers seem "too good to be true" for a school, you may have a greater likelihood of being Yield Protected if you are from out of state.



Unfortunately, this wouldnt apply to me anyway; my GPA is not that strong. However, I look to balance my sub-par GPA with some good (relevant) work experience and LORs from professors at the UA and alumni at the UA. Also, my LSAT should be above the 75% (assuming I score -4 to -7 from my average PT score).

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: How much does applying in one's home state matter?

Postby gaud » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
gaud wrote:I do not have a personal story, but I do know that there are law schools that have the 'bias'

UT Austin : --LinkRemoved--

UofA admits slight preference for in-state : http://www.law.arizona.edu/admissions/faq.cfm



FUCK YES. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. I'm a life-long resident of AZ (graduate of the UofA, undergrad in Tucson) and looking to get into the UA with a >25% gpa. Even though it's a slight preference, I think I have a good shot. I also know one of the associate deans. :)


I'm glad I asked, and I'm more glad that you posted this. Thanks!



Happy I could help!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Lexaholik, qiranger, rk42 and 9 guests