should I submit extra essays?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
swtlilsoni

should I submit extra essays?

Postby swtlilsoni » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:47 pm

I submitted my apps about a week or two ago without any additional optional essays (diversity statement and/or WhyX). I am thinking of sending them in now (they said I can just email it to them). But my question is, would this look bad? Make me look like a slacker or something? Or would it only help.

gaud

Re: should I submit extra essays?

Postby gaud » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Is your application already under review? If yes, I'm not sure if I would.

Do you believe that you are a borderline candidate at these schools? If yes, I would send them in.

You can always ask the admissions office what their policy is on accepting those sorts of materials after your application has been submitted.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:59 pm

I know some schools consider the "optional" essays not very optional at all. (Northwestern, for one.)

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:59 pm

gaud wrote:Is your application already under review? If yes, I'm not sure if I would.

Do you believe that you are a borderline candidate at these schools? If yes, I would send them in.

You can always ask the admissions office what their policy is on accepting those sorts of materials after your application has been submitted.

It's actually both. I am a borderline candidate but my application is currently under review. The school said if I want to attach any additional documents I can email it to them, so they will accept it. I'm just worried about how it will look.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:09 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:
gaud wrote:Is your application already under review? If yes, I'm not sure if I would.

It's actually both. I am a borderline candidate but my application is currently under review. The school said if I want to attach any additional documents I can email it to them, so they will accept it. I'm just worried about how it will look.

Hmm.. do you believe that your essays have merit to them or are they just words thrown down on the page? Not like it really matters though because if I were in a situation like yours I would send them in.

Input from others may also be useful though.

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 pm

gaud wrote:
swtlilsoni wrote:

Hmm.. do you believe that your essays have merit to them or are they just words thrown down on the page? Not like it really matters though because if I were in a situation like yours I would send them in.

Input from others may also be useful though.

fwiw, I sent in a LOCI/updated resume to BU and I haven't had a decision rendered yet. Prior to sending it in I asked them if it would affect the order in which my application was reviewed and all they told me essentially was that they welcomed additional materials.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”