How Detrimental is it to apply in February?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Geneva

Re: How Detrimental is it to apply in February?

Postby Geneva » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:08 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Geneva wrote:So far, applying in Jan/Feb doesn't seem to have had an impact on my cycle. We'll see what happens with my app to Harvard (not holding my breath), but in at several T14 schools with my super late apps. Just saying.

No worries, you wouldn't have gotten in to Harvard anyway.

Just checked your profile on LSN and am relieved to know that you haven't been accepted to any of the places I am considering. You sound like a huge douchebag.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:09 pm

IMO, TLS overstates the importance of applying early. I'm sure it is important, but I feel like it doesn't matter as much as some think it does. If you have the numbers you'll get in. If you are on the bubble then you should try to apply early.
Last edited by Mr. Pancakes on Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:16 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Geneva wrote:So far, applying in Jan/Feb doesn't seem to have had an impact on my cycle. We'll see what happens with my app to Harvard (not holding my breath), but in at several T14 schools with my super late apps. Just saying.

Really uncalled for...

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:18 pm

Geneva wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Just checked your profile on LSN and am relieved to know that you haven't been accepted to any of the places I am considering. You sound like a huge douchebag.

Careful, I am retaking and applying next year. I might go to the same school as you out of spite.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:23 pm

splitbrain wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Really uncalled for...

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:IMO, TLS overstates the importance of applying early. I'm sure it is important, but I feel like it doesn't matter as much as some think it does. If you have the numbers you'll get in. If you are on the bubble then you should try to apply early.

acrossthelake wrote:But 170/3.7 is borderline at top schools, so outside of Yale, an earlier application date def. would've been preferable.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:...

--ImageRemoved--

SpoonForkSpork

Postby SpoonForkSpork » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Anything is possible if you submit on Leap Day.

n.britt

Postby n.britt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:37 pm

I applied last minute (my LORs weren't in until after some deadlines), and so far I've heard back from 3 schools (Wisconsin, UPenn, and NYU) and am in at all 3. I'm still waiting to hear from Northwestern and Harvard. Schools save spots knowing that many strong candidates might not apply until the deadline. I really don't think it's worth waiting a year because of the unsubstantiated idea that your chances are "drastically" reduced by applying later in the cycle. If a school wants you, they'll take you - they don't care when you apply.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:42 pm

n.britt wrote:I applied last minute (my LORs weren't in until after some deadlines), and so far I've heard back from 3 schools (Wisconsin, UPenn, and NYU) and am in at all 3. I'm still waiting to hear from Northwestern and Harvard. Schools save spots knowing that many strong candidates might not apply until the deadline. I really don't think it's worth waiting a year because of the unsubstantiated idea that your chances are "drastically" reduced by applying later in the cycle. If a school wants you, they'll take you - they don't care when you apply.

exactly. if you are so borderline that the timing is dispositive, you may not have gotten in to begin with. just saying.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:20 pm

n.britt wrote:I applied last minute (my LORs weren't in until after some deadlines), and so far I've heard back from 3 schools (Wisconsin, UPenn, and NYU) and am in at all 3. I'm still waiting to hear from Northwestern and Harvard. Schools save spots knowing that many strong candidates might not apply until the deadline. I really don't think it's worth waiting a year because of the unsubstantiated idea that your chances are "drastically" reduced by applying later in the cycle. If a school wants you, they'll take you - they don't care when you apply.

If Harvard doesn't take you with those numbers, you can rest assured knowing it was probably your late application.

MichelFoucault

Postby MichelFoucault » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:16 am

Lil Kev wrote:
d.schoenfeld16 wrote:
Lil Kev wrote:You might as well wait until the next cycle. Makes no sense to apply this late. I mean, go for it and aim high, but if you get shut out from schools you should be able to get into, well... That'll speak for itself.

I love how everyone on this site automatically just says, "wait for next cycle."

Well, why the fuck would you wait until February and expect to get everything you want? Go get a job for a few months, make some cash, and enjoy life before law school begins to suck what little soul you have left out from the pores of your body.

This. Unless your 25 or older

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:23 pm

hamsamitchguy03 wrote:Does applying at the deadline or a few weeks before affect your chances?

If so by how much?

Prolly not by much.

They are desperate for applicants as smart people realize law school is a mistake.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:33 pm

NoJob wrote:
hamsamitchguy03 wrote:Does applying at the deadline or a few weeks before affect your chances?

If so by how much?

Prolly not by much.

They are desperate for applicants as smart people realize law school is a mistake.

are you trying to troll as many threads as you can?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:23 pm

MichelFoucault wrote:
Lil Kev wrote:
d.schoenfeld16 wrote:
Lil Kev wrote:You might as well wait until the next cycle. Makes no sense to apply this late. I mean, go for it and aim high, but if you get shut out from schools you should be able to get into, well... That'll speak for itself.

I love how everyone on this site automatically just says, "wait for next cycle."

Well, why the fuck would you wait until February and expect to get everything you want? Go get a job for a few months, make some cash, and enjoy life before law school begins to suck what little soul you have left out from the pores of your body.

This. Unless your 25 or older

Meh. I was above 25 and wish I had waited a year and retook, in retrospect. Prolly could've gotten NU. Oh well, life moves on.

ETA: though I do think TLS tells too many people to retake. Most of them won't do significantly better, IMO, and then will have wasted a year. You gotta look at each individual on a case by case basis.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:Prolly not by much.

are you trying to troll as many threads as you can?[/quote]

I really think TLS overestimates the importance of applying early. so far, i don't think it has had an impact on my cycle. i've gotten in pretty much everywhere that i expected to. the schools i'm still waiting on are reaches and my harvard app probs would have just been held if i applied early.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:36 am

Geneva wrote:I really think TLS overestimates the importance of applying early. so far, i don't think it has had an impact on my cycle. i've gotten in pretty much everywhere that i expected to. the schools i'm still waiting on are reaches and my harvard app probs would have just been held if i applied early.

How do you know the alternate results? There are many people who applied 2 cycles and had drastically different results. Me included.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:38 am

r6_philly wrote:
Geneva wrote:I really think TLS overestimates the importance of applying early. so far, i don't think it has had an impact on my cycle. i've gotten in pretty much everywhere that i expected to. the schools i'm still waiting on are reaches and my harvard app probs would have just been held if i applied early.

How do you know the alternate results? There are many people who applied 2 cycles and had drastically different results. Me included.

I mean you see very high numbers getting rejected from schools they should've gotten into on LSN all the time and you're like "?????????" and you click and they applied in like February. I doubt Sept vs. November matters very often, though probably more often with Sept. v. Dec., but by Jan/Feb it starts to be pretty noticeable.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:00 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Meh. I was above 25 and wish I had waited a year and retook, in retrospect. Prolly could've gotten NU. Oh well, life moves on.

ETA: though I do think TLS tells too many people to retake. Most of them won't do significantly better, IMO, and then will have wasted a year. You gotta look at each individual on a case by case basis.

I was over 25 when I waited and retook. Best decision I ever made. Also,

1) A lot of the retake advice occurs during the same cycle. TLS tells people year round to retake, and many of those retakes could occur without forcing people to wait an extra year.

2) You don't have to do significantly better to make a retake worthwhile. Even a 1-2 point improvement can have a drastic impact on a cycle.

3) A year away from law school does not automatically mean a person "wasted" a year.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:02 pm

I didn't even retake and it was well worth reapplying.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:05 pm

FWIW, I'm super borderline and I'm convinced that applying early gave my cycle a boost.

RachaelRachelle

Postby RachaelRachelle » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:00 pm

I applied to all my schools in February and still am applying for some this week (with fee waivers). So far I've gotten into all of them, so I think people are overstating how much it matters. Probably matters more for financial aid.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:02 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Valid point. On the other hand, I have been accepted to a bunch of T14s that TLS wisdom suggests I shouldn't have bc of the tardiness of my applications. E.g. I applied to Berkeley right before deadline and was accepted despite being out of state and having less than stellar numbers. People on TLS said that it wasn't worth the application fee to apply at that point, and yet...in. Incidents like these make me question the importants of timing.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:06 pm

RachaelRachelle wrote:I applied to all my schools in February and still am applying for some this week (with fee waivers). So far I've gotten into all of them, so I think people are overstating how much it matters. Probably matters more for financial aid.

LOL at this being just a throwaway consideration.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Geneva wrote:Valid point. On the other hand, I have been accepted to a bunch of T14s that TLS wisdom suggests I shouldn't have bc of the tardiness of my applications. E.g. I applied to Berkeley right before deadline and was accepted despite being out of state and having less than stellar numbers. People on TLS said that it wasn't worth the application fee to apply at that point, and yet...in. Incidents like these make me question the importants of timing.

If you buy a powerball ticket and win the jackpot, does that mean it's easier to win the lottery than what other people say? If you place 1 bid on a biglaw firm at OCI and get an offer, does it mean it's easier to land a biglaw job than people say? If you don't study for torts at all and score a A+, does it mean it's eaiser to score a A+ than other people say?

People are not making arbitrary conclusions. The schools themselves explain how "rolling admissions" relate to timing of the application. Your counterexample illustrate exceptions to the general understanding of how the admission process works.

You can search the threads or browse school website FAQs to see how the timing affects candidate chances.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”