Writing a LOCI BEFORE hearing a decision from adcoms

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
darkatillam2

Writing a LOCI BEFORE hearing a decision from adcoms

Postby darkatillam2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:25 pm

So I am wondering if I should write a LOCI before I hear back from the school. Right now I am at both medians at the school in question with weak softs (weak LORs both non-academic, weak work experience, solid PS tho).

The school didn't have a section for Why X, so I didn't bother. After more research it looks like it's the school I want to attend, and my friend who applied a day later than me already received an acceptance (she is URM, with roughly the same numbers).

Anyway, I thought maybe an LOCI in the style of a Why X essay might put me over the edge.

Thoughts?

masked kavana

Re: Writing a LOCI BEFORE hearing a decision from adcoms

Postby masked kavana » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:47 pm

I sent what amounted to LOCIs to most of my reach schools and also updated them on fall grades. For the most part it didn't help as I was dinged at most places but Cornell put me on reserve which was a surprise. I'd say it can't hurt to show interest.

landla

Re: Writing a LOCI BEFORE hearing a decision from adcoms

Postby landla » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 pm

There seems to be a lot of discussion on these boards regarding when it is appropriate to send them, which basically tells me that it is an individual decision. If you think it may help/add to the application, will blame yourself for not sending them if you get rejected, send them now. Unless they are horrendously written or about the wrong school, I don't think they can hurt your application.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”