LoR question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Easy-E

LoR question

Postby Easy-E » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:53 pm

I've read on here that people get dinged for having LoR from family or friends (obvious enough), and most schools strongly advise against this. I'm currently employed at the leading energy consultant in the state, which just happens to be owned by my mother and father. I was hoping to apply to Northwestern, and give their strong preference for WE, I figured an employer LoR recommendation would be useful in addition to the other two from my professors. The letter would not be written by one of my parents, rather the person who I answer to day-to-day (technical services manager). Would the fact the company is owned by my parents make this a poor idea for a LoR, or would it be a non-issue?

rinkrat19

Re: LoR question

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:00 pm

I think there still might be a little bit of suspicion that mom and dad could have put pressure on your boss to write you a good letter, but it's certainly better than if mom/dad actually were your supervisor.

So...maybe not as "good" a reference as a letter from a boss at a company your parents didn't own, but not a humongous red flag no-no like a letter from mom/dad would be.

Just my guess.

jcm043

Postby jcm043 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Will there be anyway of the admissions committee knowing your folks own the company? A letter from the your supervisor would be good no doubt. As the above poster stated, if the admissions committee knows your folks own this company, they will def. be suspicious of the letter.

Did you go through rounds of interviews for the position or did your folks just hire you?

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I think there still might be a little bit of suspicion that mom and dad could have put pressure on your boss to write you a good letter, but it's certainly better than if mom/dad actually were your supervisor.

So...maybe not as "good" a reference as a letter from a boss at a company your parents didn't own, but not a humongous red flag no-no like a letter from mom/dad would be.

Just my guess.

Yeah this has been my only "real" job (as in, not making cheese steaks and tossing pizza). I have two strong letters from college professors, so having this one wouldn't be a real deal-breaker. Would a school that highly values WE like NU view 2 years of work experience and no letter as suspect?

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:18 pm

jcm043 wrote:Will there be anyway of the admissions committee knowing your folks own the company? A letter from the your supervisor would be good no doubt. As the above poster stated, if the admissions committee knows your folks own this company, they will def. be suspicious of the letter.

Did you go through rounds of interviews for the position or did your folks just hire you?

I can't imagine why they would know who owns the company, it's not a Fortune 500 or anything like that, but the information isn't private or anything.

No, hired straight away. There was an open position, and I fit the requirements. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm some over privileged shit though, I work as much and as hard as anyone else (often more, since I live with my employer :oops: ).

jcm043

Postby jcm043 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:22 pm

emarxnj wrote:
jcm043 wrote:Will there be anyway of the admissions committee knowing your folks own the company? A letter from the your supervisor would be good no doubt. As the above poster stated, if the admissions committee knows your folks own this company, they will def. be suspicious of the letter.

I can't imagine why they would know who owns the company, it's not a Fortune 500 or anything like that, but the information isn't private or anything.

No, hired straight away. There was an open position, and I fit the requirements. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm some over privileged shit though, I work as much and as hard as anyone else (often more, since I live with my employer :oops: ).

I have heard NW is big on WE, I have no idea if they "require" a WE LoR. All in all, when applying to law school, honesty is key. When you grad law school and go to take the bar, all this info will be included and reviewed by the states bar association. I would try and contact some NW alumni get their take on it.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:37 pm

jcm043 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

I have heard NW is big on WE, I have no idea if they "require" a WE LoR. All in all, when applying to law school, honesty is key. When you grad law school and go to take the bar, all this info will be included and reviewed by the states bar association. I would try and contact some NW alumni get their take on it.

Sounds like a good idea, I can probably find someone on here. Thanks.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:16 pm

This is from Northwestern's website:

"One letter of recommendation is required as part of the admissions process. The letter should be completed by someone
who can evaluate your professional work-related performance (current or former supervisor, clients or co-worker)."

I think you'll be just fine getting the letter from your supervisor, though. Sign the part of the LoR form that says you waive your rights to look at the letter. That way even if the school somehow knew that your parents owned the company, the letter would be assumed to be written in confidentiality.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:35 am

Kikero wrote:This is from Northwestern's website:

"One letter of recommendation is required as part of the admissions process. The letter should be completed by someone
who can evaluate your professional work-related performance (current or former supervisor, clients or co-worker)."

I think you'll be just fine getting the letter from your supervisor, though. Sign the part of the LoR form that says you waive your rights to look at the letter. That way even if the school somehow knew that your parents owned the company, the letter would be assumed to be written in confidentiality.

Great to know, thank you very much.

So it seems like rather than WE being highly valued at NU, its pretty much a prerequisite (and certainly in the case of a splitter like me).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”