Which LoR's of these would you use?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jcm043

Which LoR's of these would you use?

Postby jcm043 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:02 pm

1- past professor/adviser/department head. (Will 100% use this letter.)
2-past professor, also an alumni of one law school i am applying to. She will write a specific letter for that school.
3- past CEO of company I worked for in college, exemplifying my work quality.
4- director in Dean's office of my undergrad college. Letter focuses on me personally, not academics or work info.
5- past employer/state senator. letter is very personal, I have known him since I was in elementary school.
6-former Assistant DA, alumni of one LS I am applying to, knows me very personally. ( will only use for that one school.)

I have been out of undergrad for two years, working.

I feel I am going to use #'s 1,2 & 5.

What is your opinion?

Kikero

Re: Which LoR's of these would you use?

Postby Kikero » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:40 pm

1, 2, & 5 look the best to me as well.

I assume that #5 does exemplify your work quality as well as say good things about you personally?

Also #6 should be very helpful for that particular school, I had a LoR from a professor who is an alumnus of a school I applied to last year, and that school gave me a much better offer than comparative schools (anecdotal evidence, I know, but I'm convinced it was a boost).

jcm043

Postby jcm043 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:11 pm

Kikero wrote:1, 2, & 5 look the best to me as well.

I assume that #5 does exemplify your work quality as well as say good things about you personally?

Also #6 should be very helpful for that particular school, I had a LoR from a professor who is an alumnus of a school I applied to last year, and that school gave me a much better offer than comparative schools (anecdotal evidence, I know, but I'm convinced it was a boost).

#5 will absolutely give work quality as well as personal recs. I know Alumni from each law school I am applying to. Maybe I should ask for letter, and yes, the letter would be personal.

Thanks for your insight.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:18 pm

You got 6 LoRs?... :shock:

jcm043

Postby jcm043 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:09 pm

lovejopd wrote:You got 6 LoRs?... :shock:

I could have plenty more. I'm a nice guy, what can I say. I make good impressions. I just wish I would have actually applied myself in undergrad instead of trying to catch every Widespread Panic show that I could.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:07 pm

jcm043 wrote:
lovejopd wrote:You got 6 LoRs?... :shock:

I could have plenty more. I'm a nice guy, what can I say. I make good impressions. I just wish I would have actually applied myself in undergrad instead of trying to catch every Widespread Panic show that I could.

I think it's more that you went out of your way to ask 6 people for LoRs and had them write them than that you were able to get that many.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”