Updating LOR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsat2011

Updating LOR

Postby lsat2011 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:22 am

I'm planning to work for two years and apply to law school in 2013. I already have solid LORs from professors. Should I have them updated when I apply in two years time? Does it hurt to have slightly dated LORs?

Thanks!

bp shinners

Re: Updating LOR

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:02 pm

If the LoRs are dated (as in, they have a date on them; not they show their age), then I'd ask the professors to print out new copies with a fresher date.

Although I can't see how they'd be dated (as in showing their age) since the professors won't have formed any new opinions of you since you graduated. If anything, I think they'd be 'fresher' since they were written closer to the time period in which the profs knew you.

Nelson

Re: Updating LOR

Postby Nelson » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:04 pm

lsat2011 wrote:I'm planning to work for two years and apply to law school in 2013. I already have solid LORs from professors. Should I have them updated when I apply in two years time? Does it hurt to have slightly dated LORs?

Thanks!

I used letters dated 2010 for this cycle and it doesn't seem to have hurt me. I wouldn't worry about it. Schools recognize that most people don't keep in touch with undergrad profs that far out of school anyway.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”