Demographics

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nicolena

Demographics

Postby Nicolena » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:22 pm

I heard somewhere that minorities will get chosen over other students. Will checking the hispanic/latino box help my chances of getting into law school at all? My father is from Spain, so I've always been confused about what to put down.

iamrobk

Re: Demographics

Postby iamrobk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Yes, URM's do have it much better in terms of getting in to schools, but sadly having a Spanish father does not (to my knowledge anyway) make you a URM. URM's are basically African-Americans, Hispanics (besides Cubans), and Native Americans.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:17 pm

The only Hispanics to get a noticeable boost are Puerto Ricans and Mexicans. However, there is some anecdotal evidence that a non-PR/MA Hispanic may get a small boost. So if you decide to check the box, just know that you may not get a significant boost, if at all.

iamrobk wrote:Yes, URM's do have it much better in terms of getting in to schools, but sadly having a Spanish father does not (to my knowledge anyway) make you a URM. URM's are basically African-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans Hispanics (besides Cubans), and Native Americans.

In my opinion, the fix is probably closer to reality.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:30 pm

Nicolena wrote:I heard somewhere that minorities will get chosen over other students. Will checking the hispanic/latino box help my chances of getting into law school at all? My father is from Spain, so I've always been confused about what to put down.

Spain is in Europe. You're not latino, so I wouldn't check that box.

Postby 20130312 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:36 pm

To clarify, there are only four URM groups: African American, Mexican, Native American, Puerto Rican. No other race gets a URM bump, though you may get a slight advantage over applicants with similar qualifications if you write a great diversity statement.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:13 pm

If you are spanish, I think it is honest to say you are hispanic.

Largo219

Postby Largo219 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Last edited by Largo219 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAJAcinco

Postby JAJAcinco » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Granted the OP isn't Latina, but that doesn't mean she can't check the box that for Hispanic/Latino if her dad is from Spain

i say check away

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Largo219 wrote:I would be interested to see how the incoming classes would shape up across the country if race was not a part of the application process, as in never even asked for on the application....

I am not interested in it and it would probably be wise to not discuss it here.

Nicolena

Postby Nicolena » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:16 am

InGoodFaith wrote:To clarify, there are only four URM groups: African American, Mexican, Native American, Puerto Rican. No other race gets a URM bump, though you may get a slight advantage over applicants with similar qualifications if you write a great diversity statement.

What exactly do you write in a diversity statement though?

Also, do you think it would hurt my chances at by contacting the schools and asking what they feel I should check? On Miami's paper application that I viewed online it had Spain down under the clarifier, but then on LSAC it was just a yes or no answer.

FutureJayDee

Postby FutureJayDee » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:20 am

iamrobk wrote:Yes, URM's do have it much better in terms of getting in to schools, but sadly having a Spanish father does not (to my knowledge anyway) make you a URM. URM's are basically African-Americans, Hispanics (besides Cubans), and Native Americans.

I'm sorry if I seem ignorant, but is what you say true? I am new to the application process and thought that law schools choose the most qualified applicants regardless of anything else? I'm truly confused. For example, if caucasians had a better chance in the admissions process, this would certainly be detestable. But I must say that the opposite of that would be as well.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:31 am

FutureJayDee wrote:
iamrobk wrote:Yes, URM's do have it much better in terms of getting in to schools, but sadly having a Spanish father does not (to my knowledge anyway) make you a URM. URM's are basically African-Americans, Hispanics (besides Cubans), and Native Americans.

I'm sorry if I seem ignorant, but is what you say true? I am new to the application process and thought that law schools choose the most qualified applicants regardless of anything else? I'm truly confused. For example, if caucasians had a better chance in the admissions process, this would certainly be detestable. But I must say that the opposite of that would be as well.

It is a fact that law schools give boosts to URM's (which are: African Americans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, and Native Americans). That's just how it is.

And a heads up: TLS also has a policy against debating affirmative action.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 pm

bk1 wrote:And a heads up: TLS also has a policy against debating affirmative action.

+1

Back-up...slowly...

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:41 pm

FutureJayDee wrote:

White people DID have a better chance in the admissions process for most of collegiate history. That is the goal of Affirmative Action, even the playing field in a short amount of time. While there is a lot of equality today in the terms of selection, there is far less in terms of opportunity. Today's generation only knows equality. But look back at our parents, grandparent, g.grandparents. They had much better opportunities. The odds of going to college are much higher if your parents went, and up until the last generation, it was very difficult for black people to even be admitted. If my grandpa was poor because of racist policies, there will be a good chance that my dad will be poor as well, despite the fact that the policies don't exist anymore. And if my dad is poor, there is a good chance that I'll be poor, too. Affirmative action is trying to correct a 400 year old problem in a very short amount of time.

I'm not debating anything, just stating the facts about AA.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:59 am

Alright, I think the question's been sufficiently answered here.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”