Speeding Tickets? Really?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mr.Binks

Speeding Tickets? Really?

Postby Mr.Binks » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:17 pm

Evening mates,

My apologies if this has already been addressed. I was recently submitting some apps to schools that offered me fee waivers just in case my June scores don't come back as high as I'm shooting for. Anyway, I was going through W&L and Indiana-Bloomington and noticed they asked for an attachment addressing any traffic violations. What the hell? I was under the impression that addenda were meant for exceptional circumstances; not something as common as a speeding ticket.

Also, what am I supposed to say? "I was going faster than the numbers on the sign. A cop saw me. I got a ticket."

Once again, my apologies if this has already been discussed.

bk1

Re: Speeding Tickets? Really?

Postby bk1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:19 pm

TLS has a search function for a reason.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:37 pm

I didn't even offer explanations. And I had a lot of tickets. A lot.

I just listed date, charge, and disposition.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:12 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Evening mates,

My apologies if this has already been addressed. I was recently submitting some apps to schools that offered me fee waivers just in case my June scores don't come back as high as I'm shooting for. Anyway, I was going through W&L and Indiana-Bloomington and noticed they asked for an attachment addressing any traffic violations. What the hell? I was under the impression that addenda were meant for exceptional circumstances; not something as common as a speeding ticket.

Also, what am I supposed to say? "I was going faster than the numbers on the sign. A cop saw me. I got a ticket."

Once again, my apologies if this has already been discussed.

they just want evidence that you're not an egregious liar

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:20 pm

On XX/XX/XX I received a XXX ticket in XXX. I pleaded XXX and paid of fine of XXX.

That was hard.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:00 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:On XX/XX/XX I received a XXX ticket in XXX. I pleaded XXX and paid of fine of XXX.

That was hard.

16 was a long time ago. Plus, I didn't keep track of all the speeding tickets I received since then, so it's going to be a bit more difficult to find.

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:On XX/XX/XX I received a XXX ticket in XXX. I pleaded XXX and paid of fine of XXX.

That was hard.

16 was a long time ago. Plus, I didn't keep track of all the speeding tickets I received since then, so it's going to be a bit more difficult to find.

How many speeding tickets have you gotten? :shock:

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:58 am

Mr.Binks wrote:

That was hard.

I just put all the ones I could recall. I ended my disclosure with something like "these are all the tickets I can recall, but if any are not listed, it is not an attempt to conceal but rather one that is not on my driving record and I cannot recall it." Seemed to work OK, since I got my first approval from the Texas bar.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:34 am

iamrobk wrote:How many speeding tickets have you gotten? :shock:

Haha. Not that many--four total--but they were all before I was 18, so I can't really recall the exact dates, etc.

kalvano wrote: I just put all the ones I could recall. I ended my disclosure with something like "these are all the tickets I can recall, but if any are not listed, it is not an attempt to conceal but rather one that is not on my driving record and I cannot recall it." Seemed to work OK, since I got my first approval from the Texas bar.

Did you list the exact dates? Honestly, the only thing I can remember of mine is the year(s). I'm quite certain that none of them went on my record, even, but I was told that full disclosure is always the best way to go.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:57 am

I put what dates I could remember, years for others. It's not a big deal, the school won't care. But when you apply for the bar, they'll compare your application to your law school application and look for discrepancies. List what you can remember, the big deal is don't look like you're trying to cover things up.

Besides, if they aren't on your driving record and/or were expunged by the court, then you have no way of looking them up.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:51 pm

kalvano wrote:I put what dates I could remember, years for others. It's not a big deal, the school won't care. But when you apply for the bar, they'll compare your application to your law school application and look for discrepancies. List what you can remember, the big deal is don't look like you're trying to cover things up.

Besides, if they aren't on your driving record and/or were expunged by the court, then you have no way of looking them up.

also, you can buy a copy of your record from the BMV's website for less than five bucks, at least in Indiana. I'm guessing it's similar in other states. Like Kalvano said, if they don't have it on your BMV record and you forget to disclose it or can't find the right date, it's not gonna hurt you

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”