Rutgers-Camden to be absorbed by Rowan University? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
highlander1

New

Re: Rutgers-Camden to be absorbed by Rowan University?

Post by highlander1 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:23 pm

mrtoren wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:
mrtoren wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:Would a LOCI be a god idea for me at this point? Highlighting military service, commitment to PI law practice, love of the Philadelphia area in which I grew up, etc. Including a commitment to attend if admitted.
Were you wait listed?
No, still in review, I'm just assuming that the long amount of time it's taking for a decision is indicative of them waiting on what their yield is looking like.
Honestly, I've never really seen someone write an LOCI before they're waitlisted. If you're on track to get rejected, a letter won't save you. In fact, it might hurt you if you seem impatient. Just hang tight and the initial decision should come in the next week or two. If you're waitlisted, I would send an LOCI shortly thereafter.
TITCR

Fletcher Reed

New

Post by Fletcher Reed » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

crossarmant

Silver

Re: Rowan Takeover To Be Implemented By July 1st

Post by crossarmant » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:"Christie told reporters...Wednesday that the restructuring of Rutgers, Rowan...will happen by July 1."

"He said he was undeterred by vocal opposition from Rutgers-Camden faculty, students and alumni, who have gathered 13,000 signatures on an online petition to block the merger."

" "I'm not going to let anybody keep the Rutgers name unless they're being governed by Rutgers,'' Christie said Wednesday. "So, I'm supporting my plan, we're going to move forward with my plan and my plan's going to be implemented. The people at Rutgers-Camden need to get ready for that." "

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 37575.html
I mean, it's going to happen regardless of how much huff-and-puff people here do. It sucks for those here, but what can you really do? As much as it sucks to see, with the huge 15 place drop this year, and numbers looking even worse for next year, I feel that without a doubt RU-C/Rowan will tumble well out of the TT range next year. Nothing about the staff or make up of the faculty/facilities changes, merely student interest in attending. :?

Fletcher Reed

New

Post by Fletcher Reed » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:53 pm

Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:
crossarmant wrote:I mean, it's going to happen...As much as it sucks to see, with the huge 15 place drop this year, and numbers looking even worse for next year, I feel that without a doubt RU-C/Rowan will tumble well out of the TT range next year.
TITCR

I came across the article on a local Philly newspaper's website. I don't have a dog in this fight any longer, but I thought it might be helpful for those still trying to make a decision.

It's because of honest points-of-view like yours that helped me make an educated decision. I'm thankful I didn't fall victim to the complacent and even ignorant "don't worry it's not likely to happen; everything will be okay" attitude.
Oh Fletcher, your wisdom is ever so appreciated.

Talks are being held to devise a compromise right now and it sounds like a consortium is at the top of the agenda. Only you would label a subjective, speculative opinion an "honest point-of-view." Speaking of which, since you're not a stakeholder, why are you still here?

EDIT - And for the record, Chris Christie, the man you believe turns words into action, is not privy to the meetings. He has not been invited and he was shocked to hear they were going on. Legislators, school officials, and even George Norcross see Christie as a petty child. They're working around him to satisfy the opposition and one of the key discussion items is letting the school keep its name. Nothing is set in stone, but these power players are recognizing that the opposition will flare up again. Politicians need to offer an olive branch of peace to constituents who, by a margin of 80-20 in South Jersey, do not want this.
Last edited by mrtoren on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:41 pm

mrtoren wrote: Talks are being held to devise a compromise right now and it sounds like a consortium is at the top of the agenda. Only you would label a subjective, speculative opinion an "honest point-of-view." Speaking of which, since you're not a stakeholder, why are you still here?

EDIT - And for the record, Chris Christie, the man you believe turns words into action, is not privy to the meetings. He has not been invited and he was shocked to hear they were going on. Legislators, school officials, and even George Norcross see Christie as a petty child. They're working around him to satisfy the opposition and one of the key discussion items is letting the school keep its name. Nothing is set in stone, but these power players are recognizing that the opposition will flare up again. Politicians need to offer an olive branch of peace to constituents who, by a margin of 80-20 in South Jersey, do not want this.
Let's pause for a minute and say that this entire merger is halted right now, hands down, all plans dropped. As it stands right now, the applications flowing into this school, as emails from the Dean have pointed out, are much lower in number and quality as they were over the past few years. Sure they're trying to cut down to a smaller class size and throw more cash at students, et al. but the damage has already been done for the next few foreseeable years. In 2013 it will very likely fall into the TTT zone and probably by a huge margin too, considering a change in median LSAT from 2011 to 2012 was only like 1-2 points made it fall 15 points. I can only imagine what will happen when the credentials for c/o 2015 come in. Even before all of this, the rankings have been on a downward trend: 77 in 2009, 80 in 2010, 84 in 2011, 99 in 2012.

I'm not trying to trash the school or say it's a bad place, to the contrary, almost all of my professors have been fantastic and have been incredibly helpful, same with every other faculty or staff member I've come across. But those qualities will not net you jobs. And in this recession, that's what should matter; not good vibrations or school spirit or enjoying the facilities or liking the student body. Otherwise there's no use in even coming to law school. As it is, for c/o 2011, only 29% had firm jobs of any kind with a median salary of $60k, with some as low as $23k (a far cry from the reported $110k they had in 2009/10) and that's with less than half reporting salaries (Only 7 out of some 250 students got BigLaw). Over 40% get state and local clerkships but employment information does not show what happens to these people after these positions (Average salary: $43k), I have no idea how many of these people even find legal work after that year in the high-stakes world of traffic court. 12% are unemployed after 9 months and 8% are working non-professional business jobs. Only 34 even were able to cross the river to PA, most everyone is in NJ. The numbers just don't lie. Maybe a couple of years ago with a clear picture of Rutgers's future it may have been a good idea to come here, but it just doesn't look like that right now, especially given the cloudy picture of the fate of this place. Look for yourself: --LinkRemoved--

I can only imagine those numbers getting worse with the talks of mergers and changes in leadership and drops in applications and lower credentials, etc. Hope & Optimism are admirable traits, traits that as law students, many of us forget to have. Sometimes, however, that Hope & Optimism become willful blindness and naivete when not properly checked. Not only are the rankings of this school falling into the TTT category, so are all of the signifiers that would keep it out like quality of admitted students and employment. This is all before they even announced any sort of merger with a lesser school. Take this as you will but when you look at the actual statistics it does not paint a pretty picture for Rutgers-Camden regardless of whether it becomes Rowan or not.

BostonNJ

New

Post by BostonNJ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:42 am

Cross, I am at the same school and I am shocked and disturbed by the negativity and some of the out of wack conclusions you are making. I and most of my class mates love it here at Rutgers. I already have a summer internship lined up and many 1L's in our class have paid internships in Philly! You should know they are in our classes!

The merger is farrrrr from certain. It will not pass by July 1, Christie has said if it doesn't pass by July 1 it never will! On top of that Save Rutgers.org has raised lots of money, I mean a staggering amount of money to fight this from alumni. This fight has not even started and the politicians are already sweating, wait until the media campaign is in full swing, public opinion on this will be 100% anti merger.

Relax about the rankings, a good man was put to head the rankings committee, one of my professors, I am very confident he will make sure we are back in the 80's by next year. BTW the merger didn't hurt our ranking, the firing of the Camden Police did! This year they are taking half the number of kids, and are buying lots of high LSAT scores. Rutgers will be fine, and I and most at the school are confident that we will not lose our name!

Fletcher Reed

New

Post by Fletcher Reed » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

drmguy

Silver

Re: !

Post by drmguy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:--ImageRemoved--

from http://saverutgerscamden.org/ - Click on the "More Information about the Proposed Merger" link on the bottom left for a plethora of facts regarding the merger.
Who are you?

50/56 of your posts have been about Rutgers.

Do you work in the admissions office at a competing school or something?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Fletcher Reed

New

Post by Fletcher Reed » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:
drmguy wrote:Who are you? 50/56 of your posts have been about Rutgers. Do you work in the admissions office at a competing school or something?
I was seriously considering RU-Camden, especially after being admitted after my Feb. LSAT score was sent. I spent a lot of time in here posting my concerns about the merger. I now plan on following the merger through to its inception to see whether or not I made the right choice. Also, the link I posted has valuable information for those attending and still considering whether or not to attend.
This is retarded. I'm not even sure why you'd strongly consider RUC with your ties/numbers anyway.

Fletcher Reed

New

Post by Fletcher Reed » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:52 pm

Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:57 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Fletcher Reed wrote:
drmguy wrote:Who are you? 50/56 of your posts have been about Rutgers. Do you work in the admissions office at a competing school or something?
I was seriously considering RU-Camden, especially after being admitted after my Feb. LSAT score was sent. I spent a lot of time in here posting my concerns about the merger. I now plan on following the merger through to its inception to see whether or not I made the right choice. Also, the link I posted has valuable information for those attending and still considering whether or not to attend.
This is retarded. I'm not even sure why you'd strongly consider RUC with your ties/numbers anyway.
My 1st LSAT was 154. I wasn't sure if I'd even get offered the Jump Start program. I'm not here to bash the school, I just posted a good link. In all seriousness, it's important for everyone attending/considering attending to know what's happening.
Fair enough re your first LSAT score, and nice improvement. That said, I would think said improvement/expanded options (and not the merger) would be your chief reason for wanting to go elsewhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:23 am

Fletcher Reed wrote:
Fletcher, I know you're arrogant enough to think that you're this hallowed informer on the merger...but you're not. Anyone who wants know anything about Rutgers-Camden's current situation has a magical tool at their disposal: Google. All you've done in this thread is copy those Google links and provide wildly speculative commentary that favors an apocalyptic ending. Its a scary world out there, but I think we can manage without you.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:31 am

mrtoren wrote:
Fletcher Reed wrote:
Fletcher, I know you're arrogant enough to think that you're this hallowed informer on the merger...but you're not. Anyone who wants know anything about Rutgers-Camden's current situation has a magical tool at their disposal: Google. All you've done in this thread is copy those Google links and provide wildly speculative commentary that favors an apocalyptic ending. Its a scary world out there, but I think we can manage without you.
Don't get hasty. He specifically said that you should PM him if you want to call out his trolling.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Fletcher deleted his post before my response was finished. I've reposted it so he holds true to his words.
Fletcher Reed wrote:
mrtoren wrote:Fletcher, I know you're arrogant...
I just have one final question for you and will make a promise to you that you will never hear from me again if you honestly answer my question.

Can you swear on your life and everything important to you that one of the reasons you are moving from Illinois and attending Rutgers Law School in Camden, New Jersey is because you feel a sense of responsibility to the local Camden, NJ residents?

I couldn’t help noticing you appeared as a Star-Ledger Guest Columnist and stated such.

If you redeem yourself and honestly answer that, I’ll disappear from this thread forever.
I wondered how long it would take you to find that.

Fletcher, I'm the second son of two working parents. I grew up in a household that was safe, stable, and loving. My neighborhood and my schools were quiet and crime was rare. Accordingly, I was given opportunities that many people in this country will never have. I feel an obligation to give back not only to a city like Camden, but to change the lives of as many disadvantaged people as I can.

Such compassion may sound foreign to someone like you, but I believe that it is my calling.

So what were my other reasons for selecting Camden? There are several. First and foremost is economics; nearly every decent law school in my home market is private. I received scholarships to several, but I couldn't justify sticker price if I lost them. Knowing that, I had to look outside of my home market and the only other place in the country where I have immediate family is near Philadelphia. Camden, therefore, was a logical choice. The comparatively low tuition was also a draw; as I said earlier, I'm not really in this for the money. I have no aspirations of going into BigLaw or any other kind of private practice. Finally, I felt a connection to the city and to the school. I've only visited a couple of times, but sometimes you know when it feels right.

Hopefully that appeases you.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:40 pm

tfleming09 wrote:Fletcher be ghost-deletin', ya'll
He also REALLY likes posting "d"

Assuming he edited and they weren't edited by a mod

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:09 pm

Wait there are 11 pages of a thread defending the honor of Rutgers-Camden and I didn't post in it? :lol:
Also, merger ain't happening. Way too much drama and opposition from what I've heard lately.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39 pm

drmguy wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:Fletcher be ghost-deletin', ya'll
He also REALLY likes posting "d"

Assuming he edited and they weren't edited by a mod
I noticed that as well

BostonNJ

New

Post by BostonNJ » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:26 am

Ditto,
Legislators hate hot button topics in NJ, they try to stay clear of them. Now that All eyes are on them, they are extremely cautious of the issue, non of them are articulating their points at all, they all talk "POLITICO TALK," avoiding the question with very general cometary, thinking that people are stupid and don't notice. They understand that if the merger fails and they hurt Rutgers, the blood will be on their hands! There is almost zero support here in NJ for this merger. The only ones who are interested are some in office here, which is certainly not enough. It is starting to collapse under its own weight. However there may be some strong and beneficial partnerships with the new Rowan Medical School. I think a compromise to bring the two schools together in a consortium will prevail, its equitable and makes sense, and I think what the people want will finally get through to the decision makers.

joeyc328

Bronze

Post by joeyc328 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:03 am

Wait listed with a 152 LSAT seems to be the one year I can get into this school, but still a risk especially when I want to focus in IP and they have one professor who teaches anything IP related

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:15 am

joeyc328 wrote:Wait listed with a 152 LSAT seems to be the one year I can get into this school, but still a risk especially when I want to focus in IP and they have one professor who teaches anything IP related
Probably wrong thread. This is where people incessantly argue about the fact or fiction/benefit or catastrophe of the potential Rowan/Rutgers-Camden merger.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Sun May 06, 2012 5:03 pm

I hate to thread necro, but this just proves my point that even if the merger fails, the harm is already done to Rutgers-Camden.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_bob_braun/2012/0 ... iet_c.html

"Faculty members and students are leaving, applications are crashing through the floor. The trustees had before them documents showing that, for example, its law school has been able to persuade only 25 new admits to sign up and come so far this year. Who wants to go to the "New Rowan University Law School" when they thought they were going to Rutgers?"

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Merger is dead, dead, dead anyway, thanks to the Trustees :D.

presidentk1

Bronze

Post by presidentk1 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:49 pm

rutgers is a total mess

its too fragmented and they always choose the WORST cities in NJ , it doesn't get worse than Newark and Camden

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”