Rutgers-Camden to be absorbed by Rowan University? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IHeartPhilly

New

Re: Rutgers-Camden to be absorbed by Rowan University?

Post by IHeartPhilly » Mon May 07, 2012 3:22 pm

crossarmant wrote:I think the main, and most troubling, part is that regardless of how a merger plays out, the damage has been done to the law school for the next several foreseeable years. I mean, they're trying to fill a 250 person class and yet only 10% of that have even deposited, which they may change their mind before August. The numbers of the class have fallen a long way, students and faculty are fleeing, applications have taken a nose-dive, and employment statistics are getting worse and worse each year. RU-C already fell 15 spots this year even before the merger talk, so next year they are without a doubt going to be balls deep in the TTT range which is going to be very very difficult to claw out of. I just fear that despite all this rampant blind optimism, the worst may still happen regardless of whether it is called Rutgers or Rowan.
So...Fletcher wins?

BostonNJ

New

Post by BostonNJ » Thu May 10, 2012 6:50 pm

I think that the merger is definitely dead, truly no one likes it and it will not be realized the way Christie envisions. However again there may be a strong collaboration between Rowan and Rutgers, and possibly talks about combining them as "Rutgers South." Rowan's name has been dragged threw the mud in recent months, they have mismanaged there accounts and debt, they have only interim management (no one wants to be the president), they misrepresented SAT scores, they had a "secret operation" to hide facts from the media, they hired an out of state school to do the report (big no no), and are viewed as a hostile force trying to hurt a school that many in NJ have lots of pride in. At this point I do not even think that Rutgers faculty want to even collaborate with Rowan because of the bad blood that has tarnished this relationship, however if they are forced to it may happen as a consortium.

As for Rutgers hurting from this, that is definitely true. The whole system has suffered because people do not think that the school is as rock solid as they previously thought. Folks in Newark are worried that they maybe next. People here do realize that as long as we keep the name the law school can be salvaged and will maintain a similar rank as its sister school in Newark. We need Christie to just come out and finally let everyone know that the school will not lose its connection to Rutgers. This may take time because he needs to find a way to spin it where it does not look like he is contradicting himself.

However with the help of Lautenberg and many many others I do not think anyone has anything to worry about in the long run. The school has plenty of time to salvage its class, and for a fact I know that they are willing to forgo a big class in-order to maintain quality students, even with the big economic loss in tuition. Rutgers NB has indicated to the Camden folks to maintain standards and not to worry to much about the economics, that they would help flip the bill to maintain the reputation of the schools students.

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Wed May 16, 2012 7:30 pm

There's a reference to the Rut-Ro disaster in in the otherwise funny Seinfeld video featuring Mayor Booker and Christie. At least they realize it's making people angry.

Anyway, the news stories as of late see to be indicating a compromise or a failure of the merger. More or less true?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu May 17, 2012 8:38 am

Failed mergers are so TTT.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:53 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:30 pm

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/ ... UMDNJ.html

Merger nixed. More independent Rutgers-Camden with it's own trustees, as well as a shared board with Rowan.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:39 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:http://www.philly.com/philly/education/ ... UMDNJ.html

Merger nixed. More independent Rutgers-Camden with it's own trustees, as well as a shared board with Rowan.
Sounds about right :). Not shocked Sen. Norcross is involved for a multitude of reasons.
Last edited by keg411 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:40 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Scottie2Hottie

New

Post by Scottie2Hottie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:56 am

Last edited by Scottie2Hottie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Scottie2Hottie wrote:Any guesses unto what this will do to the rankings next year?
No effect/stop the downward slope/up/down
Unlikely the stop of the merger will do anything for helping the huge slip in the rankings it'll take next year. The c/o 2015 have already deposited and the employment stats even before the merger were on a grossly downward trend. It'll probably be a few more years until it's back up to where it was, if it gets there at all.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:54 am

Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:13 pm

See, this is why Christie's bullying tactics are no good. If he had been more open to compromise originally and not such an asshole and a half about it, they could've worked something out a lot sooner. I'm also not surprised about the small enrollment number. Law school enrollment is down in general and people are definitely scared away by the merger BS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BostonNJ

New

Post by BostonNJ » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:49 am

So it looks like Rutgers will remain in South Jersey. Rutgers NB will have full academic control and governance over the school. Professors will be tenured and Students will continue to get Rutgers Degree's. Future construction projects especially focusing on health and bio sciences will be done through a joint board. Its looking good for Rutgers Camden, there will be much more development in town, more students, more opportunities for cross decipline degrees, and most of all much more money staying at Rutgers Camden.

It will take time to bounce back from all the damage that this threat of a full on merger would have had, but since that is now behind us, the school needs to continue to focus on bringing top students and must start investing heavily in graduate housing, the library expansion project, and some more top flight faculty.

I think next year our rankings will prob stay similar, maybe a small bounce back, but in two years we will be moving up. Furthermore talks of combining Rutgers Camden and Newark are now on the fast track. These two schools maybe merging sooner then expected, so try to get into Rutgers Camden now while you can, because the schools selectivity will sky rocket once that happens.

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:20 pm

BostonNJ wrote:So it looks like Rutgers will remain in South Jersey. Rutgers NB will have full academic control and governance over the school. Professors will be tenured and Students will continue to get Rutgers Degree's. Future construction projects especially focusing on health and bio sciences will be done through a joint board. Its looking good for Rutgers Camden, there will be much more development in town, more students, more opportunities for cross decipline degrees, and most of all much more money staying at Rutgers Camden.

It will take time to bounce back from all the damage that this threat of a full on merger would have had, but since that is now behind us, the school needs to continue to focus on bringing top students and must start investing heavily in graduate housing, the library expansion project, and some more top flight faculty.

I think next year our rankings will prob stay similar, maybe a small bounce back, but in two years we will be moving up. Furthermore talks of combining Rutgers Camden and Newark are now on the fast track. These two schools maybe merging sooner then expected, so try to get into Rutgers Camden now while you can, because the schools selectivity will sky rocket once that happens.
This is new information. Where are you getting this news from? And if they are "combined" where will the actual law school be located? Camden? Newark? New Brunswick? Barnegat lighthouse? (oh God please let the last one happen, I would love to go to school on the beach).

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:50 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:58 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
BostonNJ wrote:I think next year our rankings will prob stay similar, maybe a small bounce back, but in two years we will be moving up. Furthermore talks of combining Rutgers Camden and Newark are now on the fast track. These two schools maybe merging sooner then expected, so try to get into Rutgers Camden now while you can, because the schools selectivity will sky rocket once that happens.
This is new information. Where are you getting this news from? And if they are "combined" where will the actual law school be located? Camden? Newark? New Brunswick? Barnegat lighthouse? (oh God please let the last one happen, I would love to go to school on the beach).
I haven't read anything about Camden and Newark merging, and considering how diligent I've been on Rutgers' current events I'm inclined to believe it's totally false.
There's a mention of it here:

http://crab.rutgers.edu/~johnwall/lawletter.pdf

3rd paragraph from the bottom:

"Rutgers University could have the finest public law school in the Northeast, if we maintain our ties to the University. As President McCormick knows, long before the University of Medicine and Dentistry Advisory Committee began its work, the Schools of Law in Camden and Newark were actively pursuing avenues of cooperation with the aim of ultimately creating “Rutgers Law”, which all agree would have a presence in New Brunswick. That process is on- going – indeed, we held a faculty meeting just last Monday to discuss the next steps – and it holds the promise of raising the national stature of legal education and scholarship at Rutgers to unprecedented heights. Accepting the Committee’s merger recommendation would not simply undo all of the progress that we have made in the service of Rutgers on this front, it would preempt this extraordinary opportunity for the University. Rutgers could have an elite public law school, placing it in league with the finest state research universities, all of which have first-class law schools. But this can only be realized if Rutgers Law combines the strengths of the law schools in both Camden and Newark."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:28 pm

As a NJ resident, I would support that so fast. Better yet, it would help conserve state resources in that instead of having to pay $$$ for two law schools, they'd only have to support one. I could see a Rutgers Law (NB) ending up along the lines of a strong regional school like UMN, Wisconsin, UNC or UIUC (pre-scandal).

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:54 pm

keg411 wrote:As a NJ resident, I would support that so fast. Better yet, it would help conserve state resources in that instead of having to pay $$$ for two law schools, they'd only have to support one. I could see a Rutgers Law (NB) ending up along the lines of a strong regional school like UMN, Wisconsin, UNC or UIUC (pre-scandal).
+1000. But seriously, could we have the single Rutgers Law on the beach?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:56 pm

ru2486 wrote:
keg411 wrote:As a NJ resident, I would support that so fast. Better yet, it would help conserve state resources in that instead of having to pay $$$ for two law schools, they'd only have to support one. I could see a Rutgers Law (NB) ending up along the lines of a strong regional school like UMN, Wisconsin, UNC or UIUC (pre-scandal).
All in favor of Rutgers - LBI?

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:08 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
Aye aye! But in all seriousness, a single Rutgers Law is actually a fantastic idea, as opposed to the fucking mess that Christie is trying to create by merging RU-C into Rowan.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:13 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
It's too bad Monmouth University is a private school or they could use those buildings if y'all really want Rutgers Law - Jersey Shore :lol:.

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:39 am

keg411 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
It's too bad Monmouth University is a private school or they could use those buildings if y'all really want Rutgers Law - Jersey Shore :lol:.
If MU was a public school and we did end up with Rutgers Law - Jersey Shore, I'd expect you to transfer back keg411.

BostonNJ

New

Post by BostonNJ » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:07 am

now are you inclined to think its false?
InGoodFaith wrote:
ru2486 wrote:

BostonNJ

New

Post by BostonNJ » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:10 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
BostonNJ wrote:I think next year our rankings will prob stay similar, maybe a small bounce back, but in two years we will be moving up. Furthermore talks of combining Rutgers Camden and Newark are now on the fast track. These two schools maybe merging sooner then expected, so try to get into Rutgers Camden now while you can, because the schools selectivity will sky rocket once that happens.
I haven't read anything about Camden and Newark merging, and considering how diligent I've been on Rutgers' current events I'm inclined to believe it's totally false.

Not very diligent are you?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”