Rutgers-Camden to be absorbed by Rowan University? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:45 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drmguy

Silver

Re: Rutgers-Camden to be absorbed by Rowan University?

Post by drmguy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:46 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Look, I've lived near Camden my entire life. Camden is terrible. Yes, Rutgers campus is fairly safe. HOWEVER, in order to get on the freakin' campus, you still have to journey through Camden. Even when you're driving in, it's pretty scary. You can easily be mugged or shot or whatever at a red light.
I don't really agree with this. If you live in the bad area then of course you drive through bad area to get to school. If you live in the victor/dorms/anywhere not bad there are no issues driving to campus.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:59 pm

drmguy wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Look, I've lived near Camden my entire life. Camden is terrible. Yes, Rutgers campus is fairly safe. HOWEVER, in order to get on the freakin' campus, you still have to journey through Camden. Even when you're driving in, it's pretty scary. You can easily be mugged or shot or whatever at a red light.
I don't really agree with this. If you live in the bad area then of course you drive through bad area to get to school. If you live in the victor/dorms/anywhere not bad there are no issues driving to campus.
+1

Those who live have lived in or around the area will know enough to find a safe route to and from school. Its Camden, not Kabul. Those who are new to the area (myself included) probably shouldn't even consider living outside of the University District. Sure, the crime rate is high, but it sounds like it generally targets a select group of people who are looking for it. With a bit of common sense, students will be immune from it.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:11 pm

:o

ths115

New

Post by ths115 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:09 pm

Complete and utter BS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Let me clear things up. Camden is not Somalia.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:15 pm

ths115 wrote:

Complete and utter BS.
I can assure you this is not BS. Camden, at least in its bad parts, is one of the most dangerous places in the entire country, and a few years ago was even ranked number 1. Again, as many people mentioned, the school is cloistered off and in what sounds like a safe area, but DO NOT assume that the rest of the city is safe to walk around. Again, I know someone who was shot and someone else who had his car stolen. Neither were at Rutgers Camden (which people say is in a safe area), but it goes to show how unsafe some of the other areas can be. I myself am an NJ lifer. I have been to all the best, and all the worst parts of the state. When people speak about Camden, Trenton, and Newark, they are not joking around with you. You need to keep your head up in these places.

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:33 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:36 pm

from philly lived around camden my entire life...ive seen it said that its not somalia or kabul...thats true...buts its about as close as it gets in America

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:38 pm

I think it is smart for students to have a balanced perspective. Don't think of the school as some oasis of safety and peacefulness. At the same time, don't think of it as walking into a war zone. Yes, the school appears to be relatively isolated from the violence and criminal activity that the city is known for. But students looking to attend school there need to understand and be cognizant of the practical realities of their surroundings in making their decisions. So just be smart, and be informed. I think that advice would serve you well in making any decision, and this one is no different.

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 pm

kaiser wrote:I think it is smart for students to have a balanced perspective. Don't think of the school as some oasis of safety and peacefulness. At the same time, don't think of it as walking into a war zone. Yes, the school appears to be relatively isolated from the violence and criminal activity that the city is known for. But students looking to attend school there need to understand and be cognizant of the practical realities of their surroundings in making their decisions. So just be smart, and be informed. I think that advice would serve you well in making any decision, and this one is no different.
this is credited

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:41 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:I won’t post all negative news facts. The serial rapist who is responsible for raping three young women at knife- and gunpoint within 1.5 miles of the Rutgers-Camden campus has been apprehended. I guess the area around the school really is safe now.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=8555379
i like this guy

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:51 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:
Fletcher Reed wrote:I won’t post all negative news facts. The serial rapist who is responsible for raping three young women at knife- and gunpoint within 1.5 miles of the Rutgers-Camden campus has been apprehended. I guess the area around the school really is safe now.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=8555379
i like this guy
Fletcher is our go-to guy for news clip wisdom.

Fletcher, find me an article involving a violent criminal act against a Rutgers-Camden student. Oh, and student-on-student crime doesn't count. Go!

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:55 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:Rutgers Camden Student Stabbed To Death

http://gleaner.rutgers.edu/2010/11/22/s ... of-murder/

Student-on-student doesn't count? Where do you form your logic? I can't wrap my mind around it. Student-on-student would certainly matter in the context of the conversation regarding the dangers of living on or near RU-Camden. Btw--the attacker in the above article that you challenged me to find was not a student.
The area immediately surrounding campus is fine. That said, I wouldn't step too far off.
Camden is a pretty run-down/dangerous area, but this is still hyperbole. The New Jersey Aquarium/Susquehanna Bank Center are very big draws, and most patrons somehow manage to travel there/back home without being the victims of muggings or drive-bys.

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:15 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:24 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Camden is a pretty run-down/dangerous area, but this is still hyperbole. The New Jersey Aquarium/Susquehanna Bank Center are very big draws, and most patrons somehow manage to travel there/back home without being the victims of muggings or drive-bys.
The chances of an aquarium patron becoming a victim of violent crime while spending a few hours at a public attraction in Camden are way less than a 24/7 resident of the city. It's hard to compare the two.
The point is that if you exercise some semblance of common sense, you'll be fine. I know the area very well myself and can tell you that coming into Camden from Philadelphia or points further East, once you hit the city limits it's a very short drive (no more than 1/4 mile) into campus. Camden is a very compact city, after all.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:29 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:Rutgers-Camden Student Stabbed To Death

Student-on-student doesn't count? Where do you form your logic? I can't wrap my mind around it. Student-on-student would certainly matter in the context of the conversation regarding the dangers of living on or near RU-Camden. Btw--the attacker in the above article that you challenged me to find was not a student.
The boyfriend killed her. Show me a violent crime involving an unrelated resident and a student.

Student-on-student crime is not indicative of Camden's danger. All universities possess it to some extent. Boyfriend-on-girlfriend crime isn't either. I want you to show me where a Camden resident committed a violent crime against an unsuspecting student. The absence of an article so far demonstrates its rarity. Do a search, see if you find anything.

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:34 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:42 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:43 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:
mrtoren wrote:
The boyfriend killed her. Show me a violent crime involving an unrelated resident and a student.

Student-on-student crime is not indicative of Camden's danger. All universities possess it to some extent. Boyfriend-on-girlfriend crime isn't either. I want you to show me where a Camden resident committed a violent crime against an unsuspecting student. The absence of an article so far demonstrates its rarity. Do a search, see if you find anything.
What if she met him at a Camden bar and he's a Camden resident? Btw--many articles are archived and not searchable.

Anyway--you had the perfect chance to blow my argument apart if you noticed that the murder took place about 18 miles from Camden. But I did follow your instructions which challenged me to find an article with a violent crime against an RU-Camden student.
This is just getting dumb. Camden is quite dangerous. Anyone who thinks otherwise is sorely kidding themselves. That said, being an RU-Camden student is far and away from a death sentence. I know plenty of sheltered kids from Haddonfield and Cherry Hill and beyond who go to school there and have adjusted themselves past the point of living in constant fear.

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:49 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:52 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:58 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:Rutgers-Camden Student Stabbed To Death

she was stabbed in her lindenwold apartment, not in camden. read the article, JACKASS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”