Rutgers-Camden to be absorbed by Rowan University? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mrtoren

Silver

Rutgers-Camden to be absorbed by Rowan University?

Post by mrtoren » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:24 pm

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/ind ... t_pla.html

"Rutgers-Camden law student Wali Rushdan said his choice to study there was directly impacted by Rutgers’ age-old reputation.

“I was presented with several options for law school when I was applying,” said Rushdan, an out-of-state student.
“The main attraction for me was the Rutgers brand,” he continued. “The name is synonymous with success and achievement, and Rutgers alumni and students worked very hard to establish that reputation.”

Rushdan said he’s slated to graduate in the spring. But he doesn’t know when the merger could occur, how it could effect his degree or what it could mean for his peers still far from graduating.

“This is very disturbing to us,” he said. “And there are lots of questions, and not a lot of answers right now.
“I’ve been hearing conversations in the halls with students saying, ‘If this happens, I’m transferring.’”"

Potential fall-out?

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Re: Rutgers-Camden to be absorbed by Rowan University?

Post by 2LT_CPG » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:29 pm

I know a kid who went to Rowan undergrad. I had gone to high school with him, but he dropped out during my sophomore year. I ran into him working as a gas station attendant while I was coming home from work once. That's my impression of Rowan. So probably not good.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:33 pm

Despite the change in name and identity, are there real implications for graduates' job prospects?

Lil Kev

New

Post by Lil Kev » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:57 pm

I'd think that there would be some small implications locally, but some large ones outside of the general area. A regional school with a name change doesn't seem like a recipe for success if you want somewhere outside of Philly/NJ.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:58 am

Seems to me like he'd keep his Rutgers brand - I can't see them calling the school "Rowan"; more likely, it'll be Rutgers-Rowan for that campus, with Rutger-Camden staying named as such. There's like 5 of them already.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lil Kev

New

Post by Lil Kev » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:10 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:This is such an incredibly bad idea. Rutgers has a far superior brand name in the region. Outside of the region, no one knows what a "Rowan University" is. The faculty would revolt against these changes.
It seems like the dumbest idea ever, really. Talk about killing any recognition that the Rutgers name had outside of the home state.

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Rutgers Newark is probably loving this whole thing.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:18 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:Rutgers Newark is probably loving this whole thing.
New Brunswick, too. Camden has always been the red headed step child.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Are you guys serious? Nobody outside of NJ cares about the "Rutgers brand" and everybody in NJ is going to know about this change. It has exactly 0 effect outside of 0Ls moving in from across the country for that "great Rutgers name" on their JD.

Lil Kev

New

Post by Lil Kev » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Nelson wrote:Are you guys serious? Nobody outside of NJ cares about the "Rutgers brand" and everybody in NJ is going to know about this change. It has exactly 0 effect outside of 0Ls moving in from across the country for that "great Rutgers name" on their JD.
I'm sure Philly and Eastern PA care about it. Probably Delaware, too.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:28 pm

No doubt, the turmoil will be driving a lot of students out of Camden's class and into Newark's.
Nelson wrote:Are you guys serious? Nobody outside of NJ cares about the "Rutgers brand" and everybody in NJ is going to know about this change. It has exactly 0 effect outside of 0Ls moving in from across the country for that "great Rutgers name" on their JD.
I think this is probably true. Its going to be a long, bitter battle before the faculty and students concede though. I just wish it would roll one way or the other before fall classes start.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:29 pm

orly?

--LinkRemoved--

Also, nobody said anything about their reputation outside of their region, so not sure y u tso mad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:30 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
New Brunswick, too. Camden has always been the red headed step child.
I meant Rutgers Newark Law. Since it's the 'other' Rutgers law school I'm sure they're kind of thrilled they can just go by Rutgers Law instead of Rutgers Newark Law. But I get your point regarding the undergrad colleges too. A lot of my high school buddies went to Camden and I imagine they're all kind of miffed by this.
I think anyone going to either Rutgers law school intends to work regionally. No one in this thread was claiming otherwise. Chill out. Not sure where you're from, but the Rutgers name is pretty well regarded in the PA-NJ-NY area.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:31 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
orly?

--LinkRemoved--

Also, nobody said anything about their reputation outside of their region, so not sure y u tso mad.
That's whats making me consider Newark over Camden at the moment. I don't want to be in the middle of the explosive legal drama that's about to go down.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:43 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
orly?

--LinkRemoved--

The profs are suing because they're worried the merger means Christie is gunning to eliminate tenure jobs. And they're probably justified since cost cutting is a stated reason for the merger. They're going to lose. The suit will have 0 effect on students at the law school.

And if you seriously think there's a difference in preftige between Rutgers-Camden and Rowan, I suppose you're entitled to your opinion?

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 pm

Nelson wrote:And if you seriously think there's a difference in preftige between Rutgers-Camden and Rowan, I suppose you're entitled to your opinion?
There is. I'm from SE PA. There's a significant difference in prestige. That's not opinion, that's fact. And no, I didn't go to either school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:47 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:
Nelson wrote:And if you seriously think there's a difference in preftige between Rutgers-Camden and Rowan, I suppose you're entitled to your opinion?
There is. I'm from SE PA. There's a significant difference in prestige. That's not opinion, that's fact. And no, I didn't go to either school.

+1

Errzii

Bronze

Post by Errzii » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:50 pm

So I have nothing of value to add to this thread as I don't know shit about either school. I was however curious enough to look up Rutgers employment stats and just found it interesting that they advertise themselves as "The 18th best law school for getting rich" (--LinkRemoved--)

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Errzii wrote:So I have nothing of value to add to this thread as I don't know shit about either school. I was however curious enough to look up Rutgers employment stats and just found it interesting that they advertise themselves as "The 18th best law school for getting rich" (--LinkRemoved--)
That's from an article from a magazine or something, I've seen it somewhere before. I don't feel like finding it but they didn't just make it up for themselves.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:54 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:
2LT_CPG wrote:

+1
+2, not sure where you're from Nelson.

Also,
Errzii wrote:"The 18th best law school for getting rich"
I lol'd

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:56 pm

I only applied to Newark because I really, really don't want to live in Camden for three years, to the point of Newark looking relatively attractive in comparison, but I feel like this thread is getting at an important issue. The fact that the Camden faculty is pissed does make it a problem for the students if a good portion of the faculty flee to other jobs. That's completely separate from the name change, which I'd argue DOES impact students despite every employer likely knowing about the change.

This is not akin to Penn State affiliating with Dickinson, where both parties had benefits to the new affiliation. The better analogy is a school like Drexel being bought by West Chester. Sure, the new name won't affect people this year because everyone knows about it. It does however, make a difference in five years when people have forgotten that Rowan Law used to be Rutgers Camden Law.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:56 pm

:shock:
Errzii wrote:So I have nothing of value to add to this thread as I don't know shit about either school. I was however curious enough to look up Rutgers employment stats and just found it interesting that they advertise themselves as "The 18th best law school for getting rich" (--LinkRemoved--)
:shock:

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:57 pm

IIRC, Forbes compiled the list. It was based off of salaries reported to Payscale which, as we all know, is one of the more scientific ways to determine such a fact.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Yeah this. I don't think anyone outside the region knows or gives a shit about Rutgers. I can't even begin to keep their 19 different campuses (campii?) straight.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”