Rutgers-Camden to be absorbed by Rowan University? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
highlander1

New

Re: Rutgers-Camden to be absorbed by Rowan University?

Post by highlander1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:17 pm

ths115 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:I can tell you that 3 is a straight up lie. Also, did you really just say the RU-C campus is surprisingly delightful? I think you got lost and ended up in Philly, because there is nothing delightful about the RU-C area.

4 additional faculty added recently all who were aware of the pending merger...
@InGoodFaith
I normally don't make personal attacks, so I apologize if you're sore after reading this:
Four additional very qualified faculty are coming over to RU-C. Also, if you think the administration lied about #3, go ahead and support your accusation with facts. Honestly, if you were not at Dean's Law Day (to speak with members of the RU-C administration) or if you do not possess solid information regarding the matter, enjoy a nice big bowl of stfu. You're a 0L, who has no idea what he/she is talking about. I sincerely doubt that you have any inside connections to RU-C.
Also, I didn't get lost into Philly. There's a pretty big bridge separating the two. (Unless you thought that I swam across the body of water during Dean's Law Day, I don't know why you felt the need to comment on my personal reaction to the area). There were bunch of RU-C banners.... and big Rs on the windows.... Idk... maybe I did get lost and strayed away to Philly. (I'm being sarcastic btw).
Last edited by highlander1 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:47 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

highlander1

New

Post by highlander1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Okay. I accept your post, unlike the one you deleted earlier.
But here is my opinion in contrast to your opinion:
Granted that Dean's Law Day was in part a recruiting event (but really, many schools try to "recruit" their students in during their ASWs), it was also a social event to meet faculty, alumni, and the students. I honestly networked well during that event, and had a lot of fun. So, to me, it wasn't just a "recruiting event" The students and administration were not obsessed in trying to lock their students down for the year.

RU-C law administration is in no way biased. During dean's law day, they were very transparent and honest about realistic prospects of the merger, etc. The school is respectable in the sense that they do not manipulate or trick their prospective students. The alumni, gave honest (less glorified) responses to those who asked about the legal market and the opportunities available from RU-C. Not to mention that despite their less stunning career placement numbers form the CO2011, RU-C revealed them, in full to the students who wish to obtain them. So, no. In my opinion, the RU-C administration does not try to pull a fast on you.

Between... "some predict" and a stated fact from the head dean, I would stick to what is actually going on right now. None of the professors withdrew or expressed concerns on withdrawing. Source: head Dean (information retrieved on 3/31/12). Perhaps you can also consider, if RU-C wanted to give out only "one-sided" information, why would they not shun their professors for publically stating their "belief"-not a solid occurrence- in a mass exodus?

@Fletcher, I assume you withdrew your application from RU-C? You asking in the CO2015 thread when the deadline for the seat deposit is and all.
Last edited by highlander1 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:29 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:44 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:49 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:I've personally asked professors at the law school. Some are certainly considering leaving. Obviously, there is an incentive to lie to prospective students at AspieFest 2012!.
Good luck in this economy. Considering it is one thing, actually going through with it is another.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:53 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

highlander1

New

Post by highlander1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:54 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:I've personally asked professors at the law school. Some are certainly considering leaving. Obviously, there is an incentive to lie to prospective students at AspieFest 2012!.
LOL. I guess it's the head dean's word against yours (whoever you spoke to).
Not to mention that the head dean has a pretty good track record, and you're InGoodFaith on a website forum

Let me help make this post make more sense:
Head dean told everyone who attended Dean's Law Day that:
-NONE of the faculty have approached him, expressing considerations about leaving. They are staying.
Whoever attended Dean's Law Day can confirm this.

Also... If I am a professor... would I reveal my potential personal career decisions to a 0L? At the same time, not express to the my concerns at all to the HEAD DEAN- my employer?
Hey, who knows?

*idk if it's an April Fools joke/glitch. But the random comments about Ken, however awesome he is or not, is not from me.
Last edited by highlander1 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:10 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
mrtoren wrote:
Good luck in this economy. Considering it is one thing, actually going through with it is another.
Fair enough, but let's not try to pretend that there won't be faculty issues if this merger goes through.
Oh, the faculty are going to sue the ever-living shit out of anyone and everyone they can to slow it down if, God forbid, it actually goes through. But the reality of the matter is that Rutgers-Camden doesn't really attract the finest legal scholars in the nation to begin with. If this was Harvard..sure, the professors could probably bounce around pretty easily. Camden's faculty are essentially trapped..that's why they're squawking.

People have to go where they feel comfortable. There are so many different variables to this merger that are shifting daily; its impossible to tell which way it will go. We have our Rutgers degrees guaranteed. We'll be interviewing for jobs in a little over a year and a half. I doubt anything will be decided by that point. If it is, I doubt the legal challenges will be resolved. If they are, so be it. To quote one of my favorite movies, "Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it."

At some point, the person you are matters more than the circumstances of your past. You make your own opportunities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:01 am

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:29 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:...there is nothing delightful about the RU-C area.
Probably because Camden is one of the most crime-ridden cities in the United States of America, ranked number two in murders, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft according to CQ Press’s 2011-2012 City Crime rankings. Other sources state that this is because of the infiltration of violent gangs throughout the city.
fletcher is angry because he hasn't gotten an acceptance letter yet

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:41 pm

mrtoren wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
mrtoren wrote:
Fair enough, but let's not try to pretend that there won't be faculty issues if this merger goes through.
Oh, the faculty are going to sue the ever-living shit out of anyone and everyone they can to slow it down if, God forbid, it actually goes through. But the reality of the matter is that Rutgers-Camden doesn't really attract the finest legal scholars in the nation to begin with. If this was Harvard..sure, the professors could probably bounce around pretty easily. Camden's faculty are essentially trapped..that's why they're squawking.

People have to go where they feel comfortable. There are so many different variables to this merger that are shifting daily; its impossible to tell which way it will go. We have our Rutgers degrees guaranteed. We'll be interviewing for jobs in a little over a year and a half. I doubt anything will be decided by that point. If it is, I doubt the legal challenges will be resolved. If they are, so be it. To quote one of my favorite movies, "Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it."

At some point, the person you are matters more than the circumstances of your past. You make your own opportunities.
actually, i spoke with one professor on deans law day who recently turned down an offer at penn to continue teaching at rutgers

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:05 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
MarcusAurelius wrote:
You're right bro, Camden is actually a lush green paradise where it's all well-to-do people jogging with Golden Retrievers that fart rainbows.
the rutgers camden area isn't ugly at all nor is it dangerous

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:13 pm

MarcusAurelius wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
MarcusAurelius wrote:
You're right bro, Camden is actually a lush green paradise where it's all well-to-do people jogging with Golden Retrievers that fart rainbows.
the rutgers camden area isn't ugly at all nor is it dangerous
I can personally vouch for the occasional rainbow fart too.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:18 pm

MarcusAurelius wrote:
Fletcher Reed wrote:
Probably because Camden is one of the most crime-ridden cities in the United States of America, ranked number two in murders, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft according to CQ Press’s 2011-2012 City Crime rankings. Other sources state that this is because of the infiltration of violent gangs throughout the city.
I am not a 0L, but I am an NJ native, and I can say that if anything, fletcher's picture of Camden is too rosy. I wanted to work in NJ district court last summer (located in Newark, Trenton, and Camden, all 3 of them some of the worst parts of NJ), but I was afraid to even be making a daily drive into Camden so I held off on applying to the judges there. Perhaps the school itself is in a relatively safe part of the town, but please do not so hastily write off the warnings as to the dangers there. I personally know 1 person who has been shot there (luckily it was in the leg and he recovered just fine), and another person who had his car stolen.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:23 pm

kaiser wrote:
MarcusAurelius wrote:
Fletcher Reed wrote:
I am not a 0L, but I am an NJ native, and I can say that if anything, fletcher's picture of Camden is too rosy. I wanted to work in NJ district court last summer (located in Newark, Trenton, and Camden, all 3 of them some of the worst parts of NJ), but I was afraid to even be making a daily drive into Camden so I held off on applying to the judges there. Perhaps the school itself is in a relatively safe part of the town, but please do not so hastily write off the warnings as to the dangers there. I personally know 1 person who has been shot there (luckily it was in the leg and he recovered just fine), and another person who had his car stolen.
was your friend shot on rutgers camden campus? was the other person's car stolen on rutgers' campus? no and no.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:24 pm

kaiser wrote:
MarcusAurelius wrote:
Fletcher Reed wrote:
The federal court is located across the street from the school and neither are in an even remotely bad area. I don't like areas in other parts of town, and I choose not to go to those areas. Last year at ASW one of the judges at the federal courthouse said that none of the employees at the courthouse have ever had any problem whatsoever in the 20 some odd years he has been there.
Last edited by drmguy on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:30 pm

drmguy wrote: The federal court is located across from the school and neither are in an even remotely bad area. I don't like areas in other parts of town, and I choose not to go to those areas. Last year at ASW one of the judges at the federal courthouse said that none of the employees at the courthouse have ever had any problem whatsoever in the 20 some odd years he has been there.
Well thats the kind of confirmation I was going for. As my post mentioned, I did not know how cloistered off the school was from the unsafe parts of the city, so I didn't think it was prudent to write off the safety concerns. But if your independent confirmation of this is true, then that certainly eases the concerns in going to Camden.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:34 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
drmguy wrote:
The federal court is located across from the school and neither are in an even remotely bad area. I don't like areas in other parts of town, and I choose not to go to those areas. Last year at ASW one of the judges at the federal courthouse said that none of the employees at the courthouse have ever had any problem whatsoever in the 20 some odd years he has been there.
Oh yeah I don't doubt that. USC is in Watts for Christ's sake. Plenty of schools are in shitty places but are relatively safe. It's just funny that people are defending the city of Camden as not a shithole, when it is.
no ones defending the city of camden as a whole, just one small section of the city of camden - the area where rutgers is located

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:35 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
drmguy wrote:
The federal court is located across from the school and neither are in an even remotely bad area. I don't like areas in other parts of town, and I choose not to go to those areas. Last year at ASW one of the judges at the federal courthouse said that none of the employees at the courthouse have ever had any problem whatsoever in the 20 some odd years he has been there.
Oh yeah I don't doubt that. USC is in Watts for Christ's sake. Plenty of schools are in shitty places but are relatively safe. It's just funny that people are defending the city of Camden as not a shithole, when it is.
I won't lie, I accidentally drove down the wrong street one day and I was very uncomfortable. Even then, it was my fault for seeing my surroundings go to hell and not turning around.

EDIT: This was multiple miles away from campus.

In recent years rutgers has gone even further to fix the problem by basically buying up all the surrounding area.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:39 pm

ALLOW ME TO SHOW YOU SOME STATISTICS:

--LinkRemoved--

scroll down to page 8

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Here's USC's data:

http://capsnet.usc.edu/dps/asr/document ... rt2011.pdf

USC's data is deceiving because it separates the crime between different "areas."

Here's the bottom line. If you aren't a moron you won't have a problem at RU-C. The only incidents occur when people don't act smart. When people say not to walk to the liquor store in the bad part of town in the middle of the night then you probably shouldn't. The same thing goes for any campus.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:35 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:38 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”