LSAT/GPA ratio

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KevinP

Re: LSAT/GPA ratio

Postby KevinP » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Last edited by KevinP on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Philosopher King wrote:
I suck at standardized tests. I never took the SAT or the ACT and did just fine in college. Having Asperger's doesn't help. The LSAT is too rigid. I think about things differently than other people do so no standardized test will really work well for me. The best way to describe it would be to say I see the world through a different paradigm than "regular" people.

Thinking about things differently is not a good way to succeed in law school.

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:26 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:
I suck at standardized tests. I never took the SAT or the ACT and did just fine in college. Having Asperger's doesn't help. The LSAT is too rigid. I think about things differently than other people do so no standardized test will really work well for me. The best way to describe it would be to say I see the world through a different paradigm than "regular" people.

It absolutely can be. It is I who will come up with that unique argument that others don't think of. I'm very analytical too. I have been told I think about stuff too much. I got rejected for a job and I called the interviewer and he said I was too analytical and that's why I didn't get selected.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Philosopher King wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:

It absolutely can be.
It is I who will come up with that unique argument that others don't think of. I'm very analytical too. I have been told I think about stuff too much. I got rejected for a job and I called the interviewer and he said I was too analytical and that's why I didn't get selected.

Excuse me, are you in law school?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:31 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Philosopher King wrote:
hoos89 wrote:they're #2 in the country!

That's not true. This is a bad school. People are trying to mock me and I won't have any of it.

So there are schools out there that agree with you, in that they don't emphasize LSAT scores at all. Your problem it seems is that you think you are better than those schools.

Look, law schools accept transfer students for the 2nd year because they understand that good qualified students can slip through the cracks if their GPA or LSAT isn't high enough. If your philosophy degree has prepared you for law, then be confident about it. Go to the highest ranked school you can get into, get high grades with your philosophy skills, and then transfer to a top 10 school.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:32 pm

Philosopher King wrote:
hoos89 wrote:they're #2 in the country!

That's not true. This is a bad school. People are trying to mock me and I won't have any of it.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon thee.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:35 pm

I am so tired of seeing Philosopher King all over TLS. Bitching. Moaning. Just give it up.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 pm

jrthor10 wrote:I am so tired of seeing Philosopher King all over TLS. Bitching. Moaning. Just give it up.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:38 pm

vpintz wrote:
jrthor10 wrote:I am so tired of seeing Philosopher King all over TLS. Bitching. Moaning. Just give it up.

Your avatar is exceptionally awesome.

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:39 pm

kalvano wrote:
vpintz wrote:

+1

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 pm

citykitty wrote:
kalvano wrote:
vpintz wrote:

+1

<3 thanks c':

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:57 pm

unfortunately its just the way this works. my standardized test scores have been rather average but honestly I haven't made a B since my freshman year of high-school. I was not accepted to any impressive colleges and I ended up enrolling in a state school on partial scholarship. It is looking like I will be going to a TTT school and I may be looked down upon by many on this site but honestly you will never meet most of these people so don't let it get you down. My advise is to use this as motivation to be the best law student you can be and try to minimize debt as much as possible wherever you decide to go. Just remember if you are really willing to work you can still be successful in law, people graduate from T14 and go unemployed and people get 100k+ jobs from TTT.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:59 pm

Last edited by Bumi on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawhaus

Postby lawhaus » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:10 am

Philosopher King wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:

It absolutely can be. It is I who will come up with that unique argument that others don't think of. I'm very analytical too. I have been told I think about stuff too much. I got rejected for a job and I called the interviewer and he said I was too analytical and that's why I didn't get selected.

so so so many things provoking about this statement.
How did you get into college without the SAT/ACT? Not to mention, if the LSAT is the ONLY standardized test you took, how can you say you are one of those people who suck at standardized test? That looks more like an excuse for _______.
I think the problem is that you put yourself above other people (regardless of how much you actually know).
special snowflake much?

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:00 am

Asperger's- significant difficulties in social interaction, alongside restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests

Such as harking on one inane argument for months.

Not to be a dick, but for the people arguing with this guy, this seriously explains so much.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:09 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:06 am

kalvano wrote:The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon thee.

This response did not get the recognition it deserved so:

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Going back to the original topic of this thread, I read an article on Helium and I think I get what the index means. But what I don't understand is why a higher number means GPA is worth more. Maybe I still don't get it. If anyone could try to explain it more clearly to me I would appreciate it.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Philosopher King wrote:Going back to the original topic of this thread, I read an article on Helium and I think I get what the index means. But what I don't understand is why a higher number means GPA is worth more. Maybe I still don't get it. If anyone could try to explain it more clearly to me I would appreciate it.

Sounds like someone needs to take some 8th grade math.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:51 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:33 am

Philosopher King comes off as... odd. But goddamn, are all law students so angry and mean?

Don't answer that.

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:40 am

Gail wrote:Philosopher King comes off as... odd. But goddamn, are all law students so angry and mean?

Don't answer that.

I sure hope not. I haven't encountered this level of cruelty since fifth grade.

Postby 83947368 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:45 am

Last edited by 83947368 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”