dropping a senior thesis Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
catwomangirl

Bronze

dropping a senior thesis

Post by catwomangirl » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Was on my application in the fall. I might drop it now....have heard from most schools i applied to (all T14).
I have lots of other softs. Will they care? Will they hate me? Rescind?

srfngdd6

Bronze

Re: dropping a senior thesis

Post by srfngdd6 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:47 pm

I thought about dropping my thesis and ultimately decided not too...I don't think it sends a good message whatever the reason for doing it is although I don't really think schools will care all that much and fwiw I'm really glad i finished mine

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:48 pm

They won't hate you for it and it won't change your odds at getting in. You may want to email and update.

But as someone else who dropped a senior thesis because I wanted my last year to go easier, I wanted to say that I regret that. It's a really great experience to present your research, and I wish I had.

But of course, it depends on the circumstances and what you're hoping to get out of doing a thesis.

catwomangirl

Bronze

Post by catwomangirl » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:52 pm

Thank you both for your input.
It's been tough going, and I think I went into the thesis for the wrong reasons--I was never especially passionate about my topic, so it's a bit like getting my teeth pulled.
I've already been working on it for nearly a year, so I certainly learned a lot.

I was thinking that the crunch of visiting schools/competing for scholarships/ other obligations would just be too much, and I'd wind up doing nothing effectively.

catwomangirl

Bronze

Post by catwomangirl » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:10 pm

bump

I'm freakin out man!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:42 pm

This isn't the type of thing that the school's will rescind an offer for. That's generally limited to failing classes and failing to graduate.

I can pretty much guarantee no one at the admissions office said, "Well, I'm on the fence about this catwomangirl, but she's writing a thesis, so let her in!"

Send a letter to the schools that you're actually considering attending to let them know the change, but someone will probably just print out the e-mail and put it in your file to be forgotten.

Alternately, you can call the schools up and ask them how they'd want you to handle a situation where you decided to drop your thesis.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”