Minimal Computer Access -- Anything I need to be doing? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kring345

Bronze

Minimal Computer Access -- Anything I need to be doing?

Post by Kring345 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Hello everyone-

I have minimal access to the internet right now (in Afghanistan), so Im having a hard time staying on top of everything other than decisions and keeping in touch with family/friends. Is there anything that I need to start doing?

I dont want you all to do my homework, but Im getting results in, and Im becoming nervous that Im going to miss a deadline and not realize it. I made a list of seat deposit deadlines, but that's it.

Ive never had a loan before (UG was scholarship), so when do I need to fill out FAFSA? The only thing besides financial aid that I need to worry about is the seat deposits ... or am I forgetting about something?

Little help?

(Sorry for sounding like an ass-hat.)

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Minimal Computer Access -- Anything I need to be doing?

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:38 pm

Check with each school to figure out what they require:
FAFSA?
NeedAccess (like FAFSA, except 1000x times more of a pain. I *think* only required by some private schools)
Supplemental scholarship/aid apps/essays?
Deadline??

You can do FAFSA and NeedAccess any time after Jan 1. Some people wait until they have their W2s, which means they only have to do it once. Otherwise you do them with estimates and then go back later to correct the numbers and resubmit.

Determine which schools require parental info (yes, some do, no matter how old you are or how independend you are.) You can submit FAFSA without it to the schools that don't require it, and then add the parental info and submit to the schools that do.

I think a fair number of schools' aid deadlines are in March. You may actually need to submit your aid app before you even get a decision from a school. Otherwise it'd be too late.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Thanks! Those were the things that I was thinking about.

I'll start to get a list together in the next week or two about deadline for aid. The thing that concerns, me really, is that Im a veteran. So im not sure on GI Bill deadlines. I'll likely start to email all of the schools that Ive been accepted to (and have a desire to attend) and ask specific questions. But do any veterans have any specific advice before I do so?

Pretty ridiculous that I'll have to submit my parents income. I'm 27 years old!

Also, RinkRat, Im assuming youre a hockey player? I am. Looking forward to moving back to the NE/Midwest for hockey reasons! Right now (when not in AF), Im in San Diego. Not exactly ideal for hockey.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:38 pm

Should I start to consider paying 1 or 2 seat deposits? Or does it truly not matter until April-ish deadlines?

Anything else that I should be doing other than what rinkrat so kindly mentioned above?

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Kring345 wrote:Should I start to consider paying 1 or 2 seat deposits? Or does it truly not matter until April-ish deadlines?

Anything else that I should be doing other than what rinkrat so kindly mentioned above?
It doesn't matter when you pay the seat deposits as long as it's before the deadline. You should, however, start to narrow the field down and withdraw from some places that you know you won't be attending (since that will help others on the waitlist).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:44 pm

Kring345 wrote:Also, RinkRat, Im assuming youre a hockey player? I am. Looking forward to moving back to the NE/Midwest for hockey reasons! Right now (when not in AF), Im in San Diego. Not exactly ideal for hockey.
I am indeed a hockey player. I play in two low-level (but not quite beginner!) men's leagues in Oregon. I just signed up for my last season before leaving for law school. :cry: It breaks my heart to give it up for three years, but I can't quite see myself hauling hockey gear around on the Chicago subway, even if I could justify spending loan money on league fees (and even if I could find a Chicago men's league that would accept women--I don't like women's hockey much).
Maybe I'll get summer work back in Portland and be able to play a season then. A girl can hope!

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:47 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Kring345 wrote:Should I start to consider paying 1 or 2 seat deposits? Or does it truly not matter until April-ish deadlines?

It doesn't matter when you pay the seat deposits as long as it's before the deadline. You should, however, start to narrow the field down and withdraw from some places that you know you won't be attending (since that will help others on the waitlist).
Ah, indeed. Thanks.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Kring345 wrote:Also, RinkRat, Im assuming youre a hockey player? I am. Looking forward to moving back to the NE/Midwest for hockey reasons! Right now (when not in AF), Im in San Diego. Not exactly ideal for hockey.
I am indeed a hockey player. I play in two low-level (but not quite beginner!) men's leagues in Oregon. I just signed up for my last season before leaving for law school. :cry: It breaks my heart to give it up for three years, but I can't quite see myself hauling hockey gear around on the Chicago subway, even if I could justify spending loan money on league fees (and even if I could find a Chicago men's league that would accept women--I don't like women's hockey much).
Maybe I'll get summer work back in Portland and be able to play a season then. A girl can hope!
Yeah Im trying to figure out how i want to work that. I play for the Marine Corps right now, which is free and therefore amazing. (And by right now, I mean when Im in California and not Afghanistan). Not sure I could handle the cost. May have to hang them up for a bit. Wish law school wasnt so busy, or I'd try out for UMich (where I may attend). Im still NCAA eligible since I opted not to play in college (burned out after playing Junior B as a senior in high school and traveling all over the damn place and then going to school and playing for my HS on top of it all).

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Kring345 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Yeah Im trying to figure out how i want to work that. I play for the Marine Corps right now, which is free and therefore amazing. (And by right now, I mean when Im in California and not Afghanistan). Not sure I could handle the cost. May have to hang them up for a bit. Wish law school wasnt so busy, or I'd try out for UMich (where I may attend). Im still NCAA eligible since I opted not to play in college (burned out after playing Junior B as a senior in high school and traveling all over the damn place and then going to school and playing for my HS on top of it all).
It is a damn expensive hobby, that's for sure. I know my account balance would be a lot better off were I not spending about $50/week in fees. Sigh.
I wish I'd taken it up earlier in life and played hockey in college instead of rowing. I play with some ex DIII women sometimes and I'm fairly sure I could have been at least at their level if I had picked it up before adulthood. The things we learn too late!

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Kring345 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I have nothing meaningful to add, save UMD > Michigan. Just wanted to give a shout out for my alma mater.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”