Letter of Rec from University President??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jcm043

Letter of Rec from University President??

Postby jcm043 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:40 am

The current President of the University I attended has offered to write a letter of Rec for my law school application. I need to know if this letter will help in any manner. He was NOT the president while I was attending the University but I fostered a relationship with him while working for the local senator. I'm sure he can write about what I did as an undergrad and also how I help with issues while working for the senator. Would this letter help?

I already have three strong letter of recs. One from my professor/adviser/dept head, one from a professor and then one from the senator. (The senator has known me since I was very young and I also worked for him. letter is very personal.)

Thanks for the help....

mrtoren

Re: Letter of Rec from University President??

Postby mrtoren » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:04 pm

I wouldn't do it. It sounds like you're using the letter for its power and prestige instead of its honest assessment of your abilities. Schools will frown on these obvious attempts to sway them.

jcm043

Postby jcm043 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:07 pm

mrtoren wrote:I wouldn't do it. It sounds like you're using the letter for its power and prestige instead of its honest assessment of your abilities. Schools will frown on these obvious attempts to sway them.

Exactly what I was thinking. Just FYI - He offered to write the letter for me, I did not ask him.

Thanks for the input.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:11 pm

The most effective types of LORs are those that most accurately describe you. If the University President cannot adequately attest to your academic ability, that is to say your reading, writing, research, and communication skills; your leadership ability; or your work ethic, then they are probably not the best writer of a recommendation. There is a big difference between handing someone your resume, having them write up a little blurb and siging their name on fancy letterhead versus having someone who can commit to writing a very detailed letter about your abilities. Law schools aren't looking to see who you know...they want to know what you know and how you went about learning it. And, tbf, most students who know "people" would use them in other (more effective) ways than just writing a LOR (i.e. meet and greet/personal phone call if their an alum, etc). If this was my application, I would not feel comfortable having this person write my letter.

Alas, it is your file and ultimately you must do what you think is best. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”