LSDAS GPA Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SnowDude

LSDAS GPA Question

Postby SnowDude » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:38 am

Hello Top-Law-Schools.com forum! I will be applying to law school later this year during the 2012/2013 cycle.

I've begun the process of registering with the LSAC and I'm going to submit my college transcript at the conclusion of this semester. I've read that the LSAC creates a GPA based on +/- letter assignments derived from a number-based grade (98-100=A+ or 4.33, for example). I'm particularly interested in how the LSAC determines its LSDAS GPA for the strange schools that only issue full letter grades (like mine!) such as A, B, C, D, and F.

Sadly my school does not keep track of numerical grades; professors only enter a letter grade at the end of a course. I know this to be the case as I've seen them do it. That isn't to say that they personally don't keep a record somewhere, but it isn't listed on a transcript or to my knowledge anywhere else.

How would the LSAC calculate a GPA for a student of a school such as this?

Also, I'm sorry if this has been covered before (I'm sure it has) and I did try to search the forum before I posted but I didn't read anything that answered my question.

Thanks for your responses! :)

Tom Joad

Re: LSDAS GPA Question

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:45 am

I think most schools only show your letter grade on your transcript. Your LSDAS GPA will just use your full letter grades in its conversion, somewhat helping you if you would have had minuses and somewhat hurting you if you would have had pluses.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:21 am

SnowDude wrote:How would the LSAC calculate a GPA for a student of a school such as this?

A+=4.3 (only if your school specifically gives out A+)
A=4
B=3
C=2
D=1
F=0

SnowDude

Postby SnowDude » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Ah, good then! I take this to mean that my GPA will be relatively unchanged. That's very good news.

Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”