Seat Deposit = Commitment?? (Specifically for UMich) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JDizzle2015

Silver

Seat Deposit = Commitment?? (Specifically for UMich)

Post by JDizzle2015 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:27 pm

I deposited to UMich more than a month ago, but with new law school decisions in January I'm having second thoughts about how committed I am to them. If I do end up going somewhere else all I lose is the deposit, right? Am I bound to attend if I already submitted my deposit? I didn't even really think about this when I gave them the money.

I'm worried because of this on lsac's website (http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp):

"Multiple-Deposit Notification
Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools."

Will I get in trouble if I decide on a different school?

(I didn't ED to Mich and am not bound by any ED contracts.)

thelaststraw05

Silver

Re: Seat Deposit = Commitment?? (Specifically for UMich)

Post by thelaststraw05 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:32 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:I deposited to UMich more than a month ago, but with new law school decisions in January I'm having second thoughts about how committed I am to them. If I do end up going somewhere else all I lose is the deposit, right? Am I bound to attend if I already submitted my deposit? I didn't even really think about this when I gave them the money.

I'm worried because of this on lsac's website (http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp):

"Multiple-Deposit Notification
Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools."

Will I get in trouble if I decide on a different school?

(I didn't ED to Mich and am not bound by any ED contracts.)
You won't get in trouble. They just inform them how many multiple deposits there are so that they can better plan how many people to admit. And I assume that by May 15, you'll have your mind made up.

What other schools are you now considering?

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:43 pm

Good to know, thanks! It's a tie between M and NU, with P not far behind. I'm leaning towards Mich for nonprofit/LRAP advantages and NU because my significant other will be working in Chicago for the foreseeable future and we've been talking about "the next step" in our relationship a lot--going to NU would seal the deal. Plus, I love everything about NU; it's the only school out of the three I've visited.

ETA: I'll definitely have my mind made up before the April deposit deadlines at the other schools... I just wanted to make sure that the decision is still mine to make.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:47 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:Good to know, thanks! It's a tie between M and NU, with P not far behind. I'm leaning towards Mich for nonprofit/LRAP advantages and NU because my significant other will be working in Chicago for the foreseeable future and we've been talking about "the next step" in our relationship a lot--going to NU would seal the deal. Plus, I love everything about NU; it's the only school out of the three I've visited.
Visit UMich and see how it feels. That will most likely make the decision for you.

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:49 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote: Visit UMich and see how it feels. That will most likely make the decision for you.
I'm banking so hard on this. It's been a ridiculously tough choice so far and I don't think I'm going to get anywhere until I see each school.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:03 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Visit UMich and see how it feels. That will most likely make the decision for you.
Dean Z also mentions this somewhere in one of her blog posts. IIRC,.she says you'd start getting phone calls around Jan-Feb trying to get you to make a decision if you're dual-deposited so they can plan. Not a big deal though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”