Sending a why xxx essay after applying?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Beachbum89

Bronze

Sending a why xxx essay after applying?

Postby Beachbum89 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:02 am

I sent all of my applications in back at the end of October and have heard back from just over half the schools I applied to. I still haven't heard back from my top choice and was wondering what people's thoughts are on sending a Why xxx essay as an addendum? I used the same personal statement for each school so there was nothing very school specific in my essay other than a quick blurb at the end. At the time I didn't know but it seems like a lot of people write a why xxx essay as an addendum for a lot of law schools. I'm a pretty borderline applicant at this school so I'm trying to do anything to give me a boost. I'm pretty confident I could write a very good essay on why I want to attend as I've visited and attended a class and researched it pretty heavily. Would it be wise to go ahead and write one and send it off to the admissions office? Do these things make a difference even when schools don't ask for a why xxx essay in their application? I was just under the impression that if a school didn't ask for a certain kind of essay it's for a reason so I only did what was listed.

Thanks for any advice.

ganggreen

Bronze

Re: Sending a why xxx essay after applying?

Postby ganggreen » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:44 am

Beachbum89 wrote:I sent all of my applications in back at the end of October and have heard back from just over half the schools I applied to. I still haven't heard back from my top choice and was wondering what people's thoughts are on sending a Why xxx essay as an addendum? I used the same personal statement for each school so there was nothing very school specific in my essay other than a quick blurb at the end. At the time I didn't know but it seems like a lot of people write a why xxx essay as an addendum for a lot of law schools. I'm a pretty borderline applicant at this school so I'm trying to do anything to give me a boost. I'm pretty confident I could write a very good essay on why I want to attend as I've visited and attended a class and researched it pretty heavily. Would it be wise to go ahead and write one and send it off to the admissions office? Do these things make a difference even when schools don't ask for a why xxx essay in their application? I was just under the impression that if a school didn't ask for a certain kind of essay it's for a reason so I only did what was listed.

Thanks for any advice.

I would say go for it since you could write something genuine... it's your first choice and you've visited before, so you're clearly interested. I've seen a lot of people here post that there's no harm in emailing admissions with your "why xxx" essay while your app is under review.

I didn't write a single optional "why" essay because I figure admissions officers would see through the BS (I had no clear first choice and hadn't visited most schools). Many people swear that you need a Why UVA, but I didn't do it and got in with my crap LSAT. But in your case, you're going to mean what you write, so I'd recommend doing it.

mel2010

Bronze

Re: Sending a why xxx essay after applying?

Postby mel2010 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:20 am

Unless you are super busy, it can't hurt, right? A couple schools I felt well-qualified for had optional "why" essays; I didn't write any and was waitlisted. It could be because they figured I would be headed somewhere else with my numbers, or it could be because I didn't fit what they were looking for. But it can't hurt, particularly if you can make one sound sincere.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�