Addendum!! Is it worth it.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lulu_O

Addendum!! Is it worth it.

Postby Lulu_O » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:20 am

I had a 9 point jump in my LSAT score and a W on my transcript from my last semester of undergrad. I was going through a crazy time as I was being harassed on campus. I filed several police reports, wrote a few letters and finally got a No Contact Directive issued. The W came from the internship I dropped during the time I was being harassed. I also took the LSAT for the first time and did horribly worse than my practice tests. I still managed to get a 3.33 that semester and two of the courses I took we graduate courses.

I sent my apps in last week. Some schools have asked about why there was a jump and others haven't but will allow me too add additional documents to my file. Here's what I wrote:

"Beginning in November 2010, I became the victim of verbal and physical harassment that lasted for 5 months on the XYZ University Campus. During this time, I filed numerous police reports and wrote several letters. It was a challenging time and much of my focus was on preserving my quality of life while living on campus. In an attempt to ensure my wellbeing and continued success, I felt it was wise to focus on what could be done to protect myself and I chose to withdraw from my internship. I feel my state of mind also affected my performance on the LSAT during that time. Although it was a challenging time, it taught me several important life lessons that I believe will transfer well to law school. I have learned that despite adversity and challenges, I can still find a way to succeed. I learned that knowledge of the law can be beneficial. Most importantly, I came to realize that I do not ever have to be a victim. I can fight back and protect myself by learning more about the law and what the power of my pen can do for me.

Police reports and No Contact Directive can be provided upon request."

Is it worth it? Am I making excuses or making myself look like a victim??

chill

Re: Addendum!! Is it worth it.

Postby chill » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:27 am

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:38 am

Is it a non-punitive W? If so, I wouldn't mention it at all.

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:58 am

Lulu_O wrote:"Beginning in November 2010, I became the victim of verbal and physical harassment that lasted for 5 months on the XYZ University Campus. During this time, I filed numerous police reports and wrote several letters. It was a challenging time and much of my focus was on preserving my quality of life while living on campus. In an attempt to ensure my wellbeing and continued success, I felt it was wise to focus on what could be done to protect myself and I chose to withdraw from my internship. I feel my state of mind also affected my performance on the LSAT during that time. Although it was a challenging time, it taught me several important life lessons that I believe will transfer well to law school. I have learned that despite adversity and challenges, I can still find a way to succeed. I learned that knowledge of the law can be beneficial. Most importantly, I came to realize that I do not ever have to be a victim. I can fight back and protect myself by learning more about the law and what the power of my pen can do for me.

If you file this, then just the facts ma'am.

Beginning in November 2010, I became the victim of verbal and physical harassment that lasted for 5 months on the XYZ University Campus. During this time, I filed numerous police reports and wrote several letters (uh to who? your congressman?), until a No Contact Directive was issued. Because of stress from the harassment, I withdrew from my (name of internship on your transcript & semester/year), resulting in a W. I also believe it affected my performance on the LSAT during that time. Police reports and No Contact Directive will be furnished upon request.

In the end, no one cares about a W, but I think it's good to mention it because it does show that it affected your academic performance, which could bolster your argument that it also affected your LSAT.

ekbrown09

Postby ekbrown09 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:10 am

Last edited by ekbrown09 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:38 am

Normally, it's not necessary to write an addendum for a W. However, since it was an internship, you may want to consider one. If you do submit one, nsbane's version is the way to go.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:44 am

you withdrew. that's all? don't write an addendum for that.

You have to understand the only thing that matters is your LSAT and GPA, schools barely pay attention to the rest of the application or look at individual grades. imagine the effort to review every applicants individual grades! they don't care that much.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:16 pm

"Beginning in November 2010, I became the victim of verbal and physical harassment that lasted for 5 months on the XYZ University Campus. During this time, I filed numerous police reports and wrote several letters. It was a challenging time and much of my focus was on preserving my quality of life while living on campus. In an attempt to ensure my wellbeing and continued success, I felt it was wise to focus on what could be done to protect myself and I chose to withdraw from my internship. I feel my state of mind also affected my performance on the LSAT during that time. Although it was a challenging time, it taught me several important life lessons that I believe will transfer well to law school. I have learned that despite adversity and challenges, I can still find a way to succeed. I learned that knowledge of the law can be beneficial. Most importantly, I came to realize that I do not ever have to be a victim. I can fight back and protect myself by learning more about the law and what the power of my pen can do for me.

Police reports and No Contact Directive can be provided upon request
."

You just needed to be more concise; they just would like a brief overview.

I believe it's a good idea.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:20 pm

MrAnon wrote:You have to understand the only thing that matters is your LSAT and GPA, schools barely pay attention to the rest of the application or look at individual grades. imagine the effort to review every applicants individual grades! they don't care that much.

I'm sorry but that's a rather extreme statement that is not giving enough credit to admissions officers and those involved in the process.

This is just incorrect on so many levels...

chill

Postby chill » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:50 pm

splitbrain wrote:

Police reports and No Contact Directive can be provided upon request
."

You just needed to be more concise; they just would like a brief overview.

I believe it's a good idea.

Leave in the fact that you have documentation available on request, IMHO.

Lulu_O

Postby Lulu_O » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Thank you all! I really battled with whether I should send that in or not but the internship seems like a big deal seeing as it was upper division and it was 6 credits.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:37 pm

You were a victim. It sounds good to me. If you jumped 9 points on your LSAT, that is definately worth mentioning.

Lulu_O wrote:I had a 9 point jump in my LSAT score and a W on my transcript from my last semester of undergrad. I was going through a crazy time as I was being harassed on campus. I filed several police reports, wrote a few letters and finally got a No Contact Directive issued. The W came from the internship I dropped during the time I was being harassed. I also took the LSAT for the first time and did horribly worse than my practice tests. I still managed to get a 3.33 that semester and two of the courses I took we graduate courses.

I sent my apps in last week. Some schools have asked about why there was a jump and others haven't but will allow me too add additional documents to my file. Here's what I wrote:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”