Need your advice on my soon-to-be rejections

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
cmob
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:08 am

Need your advice on my soon-to-be rejections

Postby cmob » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:54 am

Before I begin, full disclosure: 171 LSAT Oct. 2011, 3.39 LSAC GPA, 1 year WE, age 22. This is about to be my cycle from hell, and I want all your opinions on options.

Subsequent to the receipt of my LSAT score in November, I began the application process into top-14 schools and some T25.

I had two LORs sent in at mid-November apps time. Everyone's all updated except for one LOR from an undergrad professor who had said he would be more than happy to forward the letter to LSAC. No update, no update, come first week of December where I go full freak-out mode. After pestering, I get a response saying that "oops, busy finals week. I'll mail it today/tomorrow".

As luck would have it, he didn't sign it. Professor goes AWOL over entire break (my boss wrote the other letter of rec, with no other credible backup options). Finally checks his e-mails in January, dismissing my panic but finally sends a signed letter when he "has access to a fax machine", on the first day of his spring semester, JANUARY 17th. For context, this is two days ago. K, apps active.

These next few months, I'm about to become the new guy in prison to adcoms. Most of my hopes are riding on NU's decision, but otherwise I'm in unpredictable territory. Do I have addendum options / follow-up options in my situation? Should I be willing to forfeit this cycle if I don't get into T14 and ED first day of next year's applications? Will someone at least tell me I'm beautiful?

Always appreciated -

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Need your advice on my soon-to-be rejections

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:58 am

I'm confused. You were waiting for a third LOR to submit all your apps? Why? Most schools only need 2 (and sometimes 1), right?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Need your advice on my soon-to-be rejections

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:00 am

You can always reapply. Whether or not you should reapply and/or ED depends on how you feel about sticker at a T14.

User avatar
cmob
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:08 am

Re: Need your advice on my soon-to-be rejections

Postby cmob » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:00 am

rinkrat19 wrote:I'm confused. You were waiting for a third LOR to submit all your apps? Why? Most schools only need 2 (and sometimes 1), right?


No - only two. #1 was done correctly in November. #2 was said professor in my story. I needed #2 to kick everything into gear. I mentioned I'm counting on NU because they only needed one.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Need your advice on my soon-to-be rejections

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:03 am

cmob wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I'm confused. You were waiting for a third LOR to submit all your apps? Why? Most schools only need 2 (and sometimes 1), right?


No - only two. #1 was done correctly in November. #2 was said professor in my story. I needed #2 to kick everything into gear. I mentioned I'm counting on NU because they only needed one.
Oh, bummer.

It was confusing b/c you said
I had two LORs sent in at mid-November apps time.


Worst thing that happens is you're not happy with anything you get, and you wait a year. If you feel like you'd be "settling" with whatever offers you end up with, a year is a small price to pay.

User avatar
jrthor10
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Need your advice on my soon-to-be rejections

Postby jrthor10 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:35 am

I am close to your numbers, same lsat and slightly higher gpa, and I went complete on apps a few weeks ago. I'll be interested to see how your cycle goes. The downturn in apps will help you and I--I think. As I posted elsewhere, GULC apps are expected to be down to 8,000 this year (from 12,000 last year) and other places, ie. Chicago, seem to be putting a crap load of people in WL. You could luck out.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Need your advice on my soon-to-be rejections

Postby 20130312 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:39 am

cmob wrote:Should I be willing to forfeit this cycle if I don't get into T14 and ED first day of next year's applications?

TITCR

cmob wrote:Will someone at least tell me I'm beautiful?

No.

GardnerofEden
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:06 am

Re: Need your advice on my soon-to-be rejections

Postby GardnerofEden » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:03 am

I'm in a similar position except LSAC still hasn't received the LOR I had faxed and mailed. I'm wondering if I should even bother anymore with this cycle.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Need your advice on my soon-to-be rejections

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:21 am

GardnerofEden wrote:I'm in a similar position except LSAC still hasn't received the LOR I had faxed and mailed. I'm wondering if I should even bother anymore with this cycle.


Almost, assuredly no...wait until next.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Need your advice on my soon-to-be rejections

Postby Samara » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:30 am

bk1 wrote:You can always reapply. Whether or not you should reapply and/or ED depends on how you feel about sticker at a T14.

TITCR Getting a second year of WE never hurts.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests