Talk to admissions after waitlist?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
melanne89

Talk to admissions after waitlist?

Postby melanne89 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:10 pm

I was waitlisted at my top choice and I was wondering, is it appropriate to make an appointment with admissions, and/or mention that I am waitlisted at the tour? I do have some pertinent questions, but primarily I was hoping to build a connection with some of the admissions people.

I knew a couple of students from one school that got off the waitlist in part by getting known by faculty and staff. Is this appropriate?

I am still planning on sending a LOCI as well.

adeina

Re: Talk to admissions after waitlist?

Postby adeina » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:34 pm

I have heard from a couple Stanford alumni that scheduling a visit and talking with admissions is a good idea. This seems counterintuitive, because we're told not to for undergrad, but it's been suggested--without me asking--repeatedly. I don't know if other schools look down on it, but seems like you should give it a shot!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:46 pm

For the most part, it's a good idea. Law schools like admitting students who are excited about attending that school. If they didn't outright reject you, they think it's possible you would fit in with the class. Show up, demonstrate enthusiasm, be professional, and the school will take note.

It's not an automatic admit from the waitlist, but it's certainly something that they consider when moving people into the admitted column.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:41 pm

Visiting sounds like a really good idea.

melanne89 wrote:I was waitlisted at my top choice and I was wondering, is it appropriate to make an appointment with admissions, and/or mention that I am waitlisted at the tour? I do have some pertinent questions, but primarily I was hoping to build a connection with some of the admissions people.

I knew a couple of students from one school that got off the waitlist in part by getting known by faculty and staff. Is this appropriate?

I am still planning on sending a LOCI as well.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”