(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: telling potential employers I will be going to law school

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:13 pm

lizaregina wrote:Sorry I wasn't clear, InGoodFaith. I've already been accepted to a law school I will be attending but I am deferring for two years.

I still would caution that there will be a stigma in the employer's mind.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:17 pm

Attrition among recent grads at their first job is ridiculously high in the first 2 years. I really don't think this is a huge moral dilemma.

LeftCoast

Postby LeftCoast » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:23 pm

LOL. Think about their commitment to you. It's nothing. Business turns south and you're gone. I recently went through this and didn't tell them anything because nothing is ever 100% (going to law school) and there was no way they could make a commitment to me that I would have a job forever.

PizzaShrapnel

Postby PizzaShrapnel » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Working for a pretty solid mortgage broker in SoCal. Told them in the interview straight up. They were stoked that I was and hired me on the spot. So there's that... most likely not the norm, but ya never know how they'll react.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:57 pm

LeftCoast wrote:LOL. Think about their commitment to you. It's nothing. Business turns south and you're gone. I recently went through this and didn't tell them anything because nothing is ever 100% (going to law school) and there was no way they could make a commitment to me that I would have a job forever.

Pretty much. Your employers are not your friends. It's a loose contract based on a rugged individualistic concept of at-will employment. Lie to them. At-will goes both ways.

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:08 pm

I was in an interview once between undergrad and law school. The interview was going extremely well, the interviewer liked me, I was doing a good job answering questions, engaging her, etc. Then, out of some sense of moral obligation or candor, I mentioned that I had plans to go to law school. The tone of the interview immediately changed. She wrapped things up cursorily, and recommended that I "contact their X city office that had a legal department." I never heard from them again.

Employment is at will. You don't have any obligation to tell a potential employer your future plans. If it makes you feel bad or unethical when they ask you what you see yourself doing in the future, don't lie, just speak generally about your goals and aspirations. Say: "I want to take on more responsibility, work on a team solving problems, work in a fast paced, intellectually stimulating environment that fosters the opportunity to grow both as an individual and a professional" or something like that. You're not going to get asked "so, are you going to law school?"

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Indifferent wrote:I was in an interview once between undergrad and law school. The interview was going extremely well, the interviewer liked me, I was doing a good job answering questions, engaging her, etc. Then, out of some sense of moral obligation or candor, I mentioned that I had plans to go to law school. The tone of the interview immediately changed. She wrapped things up cursorily, and recommended that I "contact their X city office that had a legal department." I never heard from them again.

Ah, I remember this happening a couple of times...

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:48 pm

When I interviewed for my job 2 years ago I said I'd like to go to law school in the future, possibly 5 years from now. However the job is a Contracts position so it probably interested them since becoming an attorney and working for this company would actually benefit them. Just don't mention anything.

landla

Postby landla » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:13 pm

I'd say it depends. It depends on the position, the field, and the company.

While what the majority thus far have said regarding many employers turning you away once knowing you will leave shortly and be distracted even sooner, there are other situations in which it is a benefit (as one poster above mentioned) and others where it simply doesn't matter. Use your judgment, since nobody other than you knows the parameters of your situation.

If you do lie, however, be sure not to suddenly start discussing law school or related plans. It is you own moral code as to whether it is a lie (people have different definitions) or morally wrong, but if you do this, be sure to follow through with it. You won't enjoy the results otherwise.

Also, if your employer is good with it up front and depending on the company, you may be able to utilize your position to gain contacts and such. (I've been able to do this by being honest about my plans. While both the company and I knew it was temporary, I made great contacts that I can likely utilize down the road in the corporate and legal world.)

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:43 pm

I was in the same position when I took my current job a year ago. I did not disclose. I didn't disclose throughout my application process to law school either. I only told them once I knew where i was going that I would be leaving in approx 5-6 months and they should start looking for a replacement now.

That's a much better approach to take then to tell them when you don't even have the job yet.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 pm

lizaregina wrote:Sorry I wasn't clear, InGoodFaith. I've already been accepted to a law school I will be attending but I am deferring for two years.

Okay, and when you applied did you tell law schools "I'm applying now but if I get accepted I'll have to defer for two years? Because it's pretty much a similar situation and I'm assuming you didn't tell them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”