Freaking out: How bad is it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JDProspect

Freaking out: How bad is it?

Postby JDProspect » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:38 pm

I was contacted by a school that I applied to asking me to provide information about my tribe. Apparently I accidentally answered yes to a question asking if I'm a member of a tribe. FML I have no idea how this happened!!!! Will they believe that it was an honest mistake and not toss my application out due to that?

ben4847

Re: Freaking out: How bad is it?

Postby ben4847 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:39 pm

JDProspect wrote:I was contacted by a school that I applied to asking me to provide information about my tribe. Apparently I accidentally answered yes to a question asking if I'm a member of a tribe. FML I have no idea how this happened!!!! Will they believe that it was an honest mistake and not toss my application out due to that?

Maybe.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:41 pm

JDProspect wrote:I was contacted by a school that I applied to asking me to provide information about my tribe. Apparently I accidentally answered yes to a question asking if I'm a member of a tribe. FML I have no idea how this happened!!!! Will they believe that it was an honest mistake and not toss my application out due to that?

Personally, I think if you call and are pretty heartfelt about explaining your mistake it's not THAT bad. It's obviously not awesome, and there's certainly a chance they'll toss your application, but people make mistakes on apps all the time. I dunno, it's kind of hard to say without BEING the school, but from my totally uninformed 0L perspective, I think it will probably be okay.

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Did you misbubble this on your application or in your LSAT/LSAC profile?

If merely the application, the school should understand that you made a mistake, although you may be penalized for it.

If you misclicked on your LSAT/LSAC profile, you should probably contact LSAC and get that fixed. I would also follow up with any schools you have outstanding applications with.

JDProspect

Postby JDProspect » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:49 pm

Indifferent wrote:

Did you misbubble this on your application or in your LSAT/LSAC profile?

If merely the application, the school should understand that you made a mistake, although you may be penalized for it.

If you misclicked on your LSAT/LSAC profile, you should probably contact LSAC and get that fixed. I would also follow up with any schools you have outstanding applications with.

It was for the school application. I double checked all my other apps and everything is fine on those.

snehpets wrote:
Personally, I think if you call and are pretty heartfelt about explaining your mistake it's not THAT bad. It's obviously not awesome, and there's certainly a chance they'll toss your application, but people make mistakes on apps all the time. I dunno, it's kind of hard to say without BEING the school, but from my totally uninformed 0L perspective, I think it will probably be okay.

I sent an e-mail response. I then read your advice and called the school. They have fixed the error, but now I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't reflect poorly and my application gets tossed out.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:51 pm

If it works out ok, let us know and we can all try it. hee hee

JDProspect

Postby JDProspect » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:53 pm

ben4847 wrote:If it works out ok, let us know and we can all try it. hee hee

On the bright side now I know my application is under review :? Trying to see the positive side of it

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Call back and say, "I'm not Native American, I'm white." If they ask why you checked a box say it must have been a mistake. They won't care.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Call back and say, "I'm not Native American, I'm white." If they ask why you checked a box say it must have been a mistake. They won't care.

You make so much sense.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:10 pm

Campagnolo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

You make so much sense.

What I mean is, don't call and act too sorry about. You seem guilty.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

WRONG. cry and accept your doom. telling the truth in a professional manner like this NEVER WORKS!

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

You make so much sense.

Ya, DF has a point.

JDProspect

Postby JDProspect » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:17 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

You make so much sense.

Ya, DF has a point.

I don't feel guilty. It just makes me feel stupid. After all the time and effort I screwed up by making a stupid mistake.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:52 pm

JDProspect wrote:I don't feel guilty. It just makes me feel stupid. After all the time and effort I screwed up by making a stupid mistake.

They get thousands of applications every year; mistakes happen all the time.

We're only human.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:11 pm

God forbid you be human.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

You make so much sense.

You sound like you speak from experience. :D

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:13 pm

mail them a Tribe Called Quest album

charliep

Postby charliep » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:23 pm

i mistakenly identified myself as an international student on an application. they said it was no big deal, although i don't think international students get a boost, so it may be different

surfer

Postby surfer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:40 am

Desert Fox wrote:Call back and say, "I'm not Native American, I'm white." If they ask why you checked a box say it must have been a mistake. They won't care.

I agree. They won't care. Don't worry about it. Just be polite.

Ofta3184

Postby Ofta3184 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:44 am

I think the only reason they would penalize you is for being careless

surfer

Postby surfer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:02 am

You have to realize, its the secretary or student volunteer (or whatever) who will take care of this for you. The admissions committee will probably never even know. These people are professionals, and I think they're more practical than most applicants believe.

Besides, when you say you are part of a tribe on the apps, they always ask which tribe. So if you didn't put a tribe there, then it was obviously a mistake. They were probably just calling you to finalize your file before it even gets to the committee room.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:15 am

Worker and Parasite wrote:mail them a Tribe Called Quest album

So so seconded.

But a 179 LSAT and NA status has to be pretty desirable.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”