Anyone applying with an MD?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby surfer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:35 am

I'm curious to know if there's anyone applying with an MD, DO, or DVM. There probably aren't very many, but there must be a few. I'd be interested in networking with others who are in my situation. What are your career interests?

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:37 am

Why do you want to go to law school?

User avatar
Errzii
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:09 am

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby Errzii » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:39 am

I don't mean any disrespect, but IMHO it is insane to want to waste the time/money to pursue J.D. when you have a M.D. in hand.

User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby surfer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:44 am

Tom Joad wrote:Why do you want to go to law school?


I'm planning to become a patent attorney.

User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby surfer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:45 am

Errzii wrote:I don't mean any disrespect, but IMHO it is insane to want to waste the time/money to pursue J.D. when you have a M.D. in hand.


No problem. You're welcome to your opinion. I'm not planning to spend much money on law school (if any). So it's not a hardship. Medicine will always be there should I decide to return.

KingsBench
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:21 am

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby KingsBench » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:59 am

With all due respect, what you "plan to become" and the reason why you're doing something are not the same thing. What are the reasons why you're leaving the medical field/what's motivating you to leave the security of medicine to take a gamble at law school?

User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby surfer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:05 am

KingsBench wrote:With all due respect, what you "plan to become" and the reason why you're doing something are not the same thing. What are the reasons why you're leaving the medical field/what's motivating you to leave the security of medicine to take a gamble at law school?


I asked a very specific question in my OP, and I'm simply looking for an actual answer to that question.
Last edited by surfer on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:08 am

I remember a guy posting several months ago that he was a long-time doctor and was looking to apply. So, yes.

User avatar
mdpello
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby mdpello » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:10 pm

I'm a MD...Univ of Washington School of Med 1994 grad., Board Certified in my specialty, Chairman of my Dept. blah blah blah. I am applying this cycle for LS with average LSAT and decent undergrad gpa. Have received one acceptance thus far with some $$...no rejections yet. PM me if you want......good luck.....M

btw384
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby btw384 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:32 pm

surfer wrote:
KingsBench wrote:With all due respect, what you "plan to become" and the reason why you're doing something are not the same thing. What are the reasons why you're leaving the medical field/what's motivating you to leave the security of medicine to take a gamble at law school?


I asked a very specific question in my OP, and I'm simply looking for an actual answer to that question.

Unfortunately, you will soon learn that nobody at TLS cares about your questions. They are only here to tell you to retake your LSAT and to scare you away from law school in general. Many of the posters are not current applicants, but butthurt 2L/3Ls who had a bad law school experience and are doing everybody the (non-)favor of scaring them away from attending because the economy is terrible and because some dude with a blog claiming to be a Biglaw attorney told them not to attend and rabble rabble rabble.

As per your question, I don't know anyone on the boards who is applying with an MD, but I wish you luck in your search.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:55 pm

surfer wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Why do you want to go to law school?


I'm planning to become a patent attorney.


Do MD's even qualify you for the patent bar?

User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby surfer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:Do MD's even qualify you for the patent bar?


Yes, you even qualify with a Bachelor's in Botany among other things (Biology, Physics, Engineering, etc.)

http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/grb.pdf

User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby surfer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:43 am

btw384 wrote:Unfortunately, you will soon learn that nobody at TLS cares about your questions. They are only here to tell you to retake your LSAT and to scare you away from law school in general. Many of the posters are not current applicants, but butthurt 2L/3Ls who had a bad law school experience and are doing everybody the (non-)favor of scaring them away from attending because the economy is terrible and because some dude with a blog claiming to be a Biglaw attorney told them not to attend and rabble rabble rabble.

As per your question, I don't know anyone on the boards who is applying with an MD, but I wish you luck in your search.
[/quote]

Thank you for your response. Are there any other law school boards? In med school, we had studentdoctor.net, and I think for the most part, it was a great source in information. I haven't found the equivalent for law applicants.

phillyboy101
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:39 am

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby phillyboy101 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:51 am

Funny as it is, botany would actually be a very good field as far as IP is concerned. Novel ways to maximize agricultural production to match population growth. This is honestly the best law school board out there to answer your question, there unfortunately isn't too too much IP information since it's such a niche.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:25 am

surfer wrote:Thank you for your response. Are there any other law school boards? In med school, we had studentdoctor.net, and I think for the most part, it was a great source in information. I haven't found the equivalent for law applicants.


There is. Google "JD underground".

2ndtime
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:24 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby 2ndtime » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:01 am

Anecdotally, there seem to be about one or two physicians in the typical law school class. Physician-lawyers are not at all uncommon, and the m.d. degree doesn't seem to provide much of a boost, if any, in legal employment. I do not have any objective data to support the above statements, however. I suggest that you look at the American College of Legal Medicine and the American Board of Legal Medicine. You will see that there are many MD-JD joint degree holders in those societies.

As far as qualifying for the patent bar exam, a science or engineering undergraduate major will usually give you enough credits to sit for the exam, but pre-med courses alone will not. I don't know if medical school classes will apply towards the biology or chemistry credit requirements, should you not have enough undergraduate credits.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:01 am

btw384 wrote:Unfortunately, you will soon learn that nobody at TLS cares about your questions. They are only here to tell you to retake your LSAT and to scare you away from law school in general. Many of the posters are not current applicants, but butthurt 2L/3Ls who had a bad law school experience and are doing everybody the (non-)favor of scaring them away from attending because the economy is terrible and because some dude with a blog claiming to be a Biglaw attorney told them not to attend and rabble rabble rabble.

User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby surfer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:31 am

2ndtime wrote:Anecdotally, there seem to be about one or two physicians in the typical law school class. Physician-lawyers are not at all uncommon, and the m.d. degree doesn't seem to provide much of a boost, if any, in legal employment. I do not have any objective data to support the above statements, however. I suggest that you look at the American College of Legal Medicine and the American Board of Legal Medicine. You will see that there are many MD-JD joint degree holders in those societies.

As far as qualifying for the patent bar exam, a science or engineering undergraduate major will usually give you enough credits to sit for the exam, but pre-med courses alone will not. I don't know if medical school classes will apply towards the biology or chemistry credit requirements, should you not have enough undergraduate credits.


I'm done posting on this thread. You guys are so strange. If you think an MD doesn't qualify you for the patent bar, then you're nuts. It doesn't matter for me anyway because my undergrad was in Physics. It's also ludicrous to think that an MD wouldn't be beneficial for an attorney who works in health care or IP. Stop answering questions that nobody asked.

I also think you're wrong with your estimate of "one to two" doctors in a typical law school class. Maybe in the top ten, but outside of that, I don't think that's accurate.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:50 am

surfer wrote:
2ndtime wrote:Anecdotally, there seem to be about one or two physicians in the typical law school class. Physician-lawyers are not at all uncommon, and the m.d. degree doesn't seem to provide much of a boost, if any, in legal employment. I do not have any objective data to support the above statements, however. I suggest that you look at the American College of Legal Medicine and the American Board of Legal Medicine. You will see that there are many MD-JD joint degree holders in those societies.

As far as qualifying for the patent bar exam, a science or engineering undergraduate major will usually give you enough credits to sit for the exam, but pre-med courses alone will not. I don't know if medical school classes will apply towards the biology or chemistry credit requirements, should you not have enough undergraduate credits.


I'm done posting on this thread. You guys are so strange. If you think an MD doesn't qualify you for the patent bar, then you're nuts. It doesn't matter for me anyway because my undergrad was in Physics. It's also ludicrous to think that an MD wouldn't be beneficial for an attorney who works in health care or IP. Stop answering questions that nobody asked.

I also think you're wrong with your estimate of "one to two" doctors in a typical law school class. Maybe in the top ten, but outside of that, I don't think that's accurate.


You sure are a dick for someone who flamed out of the easier career to get a job in.

User avatar
surfer
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby surfer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:53 am

Desert Fox wrote:You sure are a dick for someone who flamed out of the easier career to get a job in.


You guys really make me laugh.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:23 am

surfer wrote:It's also ludicrous to think that an MD wouldn't be beneficial for an attorney who works in health care

Why? I'd rather practice in a firm that does healthcare law (finance, admin, insurance, etc.) for the time you are in med school. I'd probably be much better than you at it when I'm done. That's law for ya.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 am

Grizz wrote:I'd probably be much better than you


TLS, a bunch of Type-A personalities. Them is fighting words.

+100 for trying to take on the ego of an MD.

indo
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby indo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:03 am

Desert Fox wrote:
surfer wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Why do you want to go to law school?


I'm planning to become a patent attorney.


Do MD's even qualify you for the patent bar?



they do qualify

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby sunynp » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:31 am

This thread is useful. I think the reaction of " but you have an advanced degree, why would you want this job?" is probably the same thing lawyers get when they apply for a job that doesn't require a jd."

I wonder how doctors do in law school? Med school and law school are completely different. They might have connections to get health care jobs, so maybe grades aren't really a concern.

bmore
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Anyone applying with an MD?

Postby bmore » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:41 am

Sorry you got raked instead of getting the answer to your question. But your response that law school wouldn't cost a lot ignores that you are leaving behind an MD's income while in law school. (You say you may return to medicine later).




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media, vintageblazers and 6 guests