NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NYC Law

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:24 am

Curious1 wrote:

In other thread didn't you say that you would go to HLS over Chicago with the Rubenstein because your parents were footing the bill? And this would leave them penniless? Holy shit.....

I've discussed it with them extensively. They vehemently insist that I take Harvard over any amount of money any school would give me. I was raised to believe that Harvard is the gold standard, and both of these things affected my (hypothetical) choosing of HLS over Chicago.

Trust me, this isn't just some "oh don't you have any money to go to Harvard?". It's a huge amount of money that could be used for many many things. I was lucky enough that my parents planned for this by saving, and like I said, I would consider myself indebted to them just like I would be to the government, except these are parents and I would be helping them out should they need to regardless.

So then if you're poor can't you just take need-based? Or are you one of the rich types that claims you're penniless just because you've run out of liquidated assets?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:25 am

Curious1 wrote:

In other thread didn't you say that you would go to HLS over Chicago with the Rubenstein because your parents were footing the bill? And this would leave them penniless? Holy shit.....

I've discussed it with them extensively. They vehemently insist that I take Harvard over any amount of money any school would give me. I was raised to believe that Harvard is the gold standard, and both of these things affected my (hypothetical) choosing of HLS over Chicago.

Trust me, this isn't just some "oh don't you have any money to go to Harvard?". It's a huge amount of money that could be used for many many things. I was lucky enough that my parents planned for this by saving, and like I said, I would consider myself indebted to them just like I would be to the government, except these are parents and I would be helping them out should they need to regardless.

Do they realize the Harvard is only the second-best law school? Yale is the platinum standard? That has to be disappoint.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:25 am

NYC Law wrote:
Curious1 wrote:

So then if you're poor can't you just take need-based? Or are you one of the rich types that claims you're penniless just because you've run out of liquidated assets?

I'm definitely hoping to qualify for need based aid but I think Harvard has a cap for that. And my parents' support is especially important because I'm a Canadian and can't qualify for federal loans.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:26 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:26 am

fatduck wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
fatduck wrote:$200,000 is worth $200,000, at present. how you acquired it is irrelevant.

So, if I'm rich because I've saved up a bunch of money.......I'm still rich? I don't understand.

Curious1 implied that it wasn't a big deal to spend $200,000 on grad school, because it had been saved up over many years. i was disagreeing.

Don't any of you have any money?

MTal

Postby MTal » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:32 am

NYC Law wrote:He gets tons of SBAs and works in Finance. Let's all drop out and live like Kings!
My SBA pickings have been slim as of late...I must again start listening to rap music and practicing break dance moves if that is to change.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:36 am

MTal wrote:
NYC Law wrote:He gets tons of SBAs and works in Finance. Let's all drop out and live like Kings!
My SBA pickings have been slim as of late...I must again start listening to rap music and practicing break dance moves if that is to change.

If you are getting into rap music you should check out the based god's album entitled "I'm Gay". so grimey.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:38 am

ITT egregious FOBish striving.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:40 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:44 am

hoos89 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:ITT egregious FOBish striving.

please tell me i am not the only person who gets annoyed by how many random ridiculous acronyms exist?

AYBABTU

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:44 am

hoos89 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:ITT egregious FOBish striving.

please tell me i am not the only person who gets annoyed by how many random ridiculous acronyms exist?

no, you're not the only one

tyro

Postby tyro » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:47 am

Curious1 wrote:I was being elitist before and I'm being elitist now.

I just don't see why someone in at H needs to have this kind of attitude. Some of your classmates are going to view you as a new money wannabe if you act like that.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:02 am

Wpw this guys posts a lot of the same stuff.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:49 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Curious1 wrote:...It's a lot of saving over many decades, bit of an Asian mentality that Americans can learn from. And it would leave pretty much penniless so I had better land that biglaw gig and support them hadn't I?

In the other thread, didn't you say that you would go to HLS over Chicago with the Rubenstein because your parents were footing the bill? And this would leave them penniless? Holy shit.....

Well fortunately he won't have to make that choice.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:35 am

Skimmed this entire thread, lots of LOL's. A few thoughts.

1. I don't know who this MTal guy is but someone who flunked out of a TTT obviously has a chip on his shoulder as this dude does. I think posters would take you more seriously if you went to a good school, got decent grades and still failed in life.

2. To the Asian dude who says he would choose Harvard at sticker over a full ride at UChicago (and therefore not saving his parents 200k). Your family is obviously wealthy, don't pretend they're not. I have a lot of Asian friends from Canada (went to a college that has a lot of you guys). You're almost all rich, speak Cantonese, and you are most likely from Vancouver. No need to be modest bro! You're rich!

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:53 am

I think this article is pretty good. I'm glad NPR picked up this story. And law school transparency gets a shout out too. This is one of the better articles. they focus on NYLS because of the class action suit.

The reality is that the great majority of people dont know that law schools lie about employment. So I'm happy that NPR has picked up the story. Just since the publicity has started, a few schools have started posting more accurate numbers. ( see the thread that collects posted employment numbers.). Many people, even those of us who understood that schools lied, have been surprised at these newer, more accurate numbers. I completely underestimated the number of students schools pay for a few months just so they can count those students as employed 9 months after graduation. I didn't know these fellowships existed until I started to learn about the whole scam.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:58 am

Ha, good lols this morning to wake up to.

I really cannot wait for courious1 to be a new-money gunner at HLS and get mediocre grades because normal human interaction is foreign to him, and it's HLS.

He/she will then move onto big law (if he can fake normalcy long enough to get through the interviews) and be on the quick path to 5 years of being an associate followed by a thank you, but GTFO. He will then be shipped off to a boutique, stuck in a nice office in the back where he can't have interaction with clients and spread his derp-te-derp-ness.

Congrats on the acceptance to HLS, and the tiger parents who forced you on that path your whole life, but how does it make you feel that there are hundreds of kids who drank and fucked their way through undergrad without ever even opening a textbook and are still going to be better off than you in 10 years?

ETA: Also, fuck Canada. I will laugh if after school you have visa issues and they deport your ass.

fo sho

Postby fo sho » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:11 am

STLMizzou wrote:Ha, good lols this morning to wake up to.

I really cannot wait for courious1 to be a new-money gunner at HLS and get mediocre grades because normal human interaction is foreign to him, and it's HLS.

He/she will then move onto big law (if he can fake normalcy long enough to get through the interviews) and be on the quick path to 5 years of being an associate followed by a thank you, but GTFO. He will then be shipped off to a boutique, stuck in a nice office in the back where he can't have interaction with clients and spread his derp-te-derp-ness.

Congrats on the acceptance to HLS, and the tiger parents who forced you on that path your whole life, but how does it make you feel that there are hundreds of kids who drank and fucked their way through undergrad without ever even opening a textbook and are still going to be better off than you in 10 years?

ETA: Also, fuck Canada. I will laugh if after school you have visa issues and they deport your ass.

0L on 0L trash talking is bad ass!

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:16 am

omg. candy for breakfast

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:37 am

Damn, sorry, had not had my coffee yet.

Sorry courious1, you are going to do great. I am just straight jelly of those stats.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:42 am

fo sho wrote:

0L on 0L trash talking is bad ass!

LOL Fo Sho is the HBIC from Mean Girls and Curious1 the newly found rich girl who is a total lil bitch

--ImageRemoved--

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:00 am

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 am

Curious speaks as if going into 200k debt is bad but completely wasting 200k of his parents hard earned savings and thus leaving THEM broke is totally ok.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 am

This thread was great.

Mtal, putting aside the fact that few people are going to attribute your bitterness to anything other than you choosing to go to a mediocre school and not trying hard enough (not to mention they'll prob wonder why you're still on tls), this is not news. In any what are my chances/choosing a law school/whatever thread, there is someone telling an OP set on a TT school not to go or to retake. This information is put out there in a manner far more appropriate/believable than by trolling class of threads or by claiming that ALL law schools will fail you, which is absurd. Tell that to Yale grads.

Also, lol at curious1. I'm happy for you that you get to live your Harvard dream, seriously, but claiming that you aren't pretty well-off when your parents have 200,000 just sitting around is pretty absurd. It's not that 200,000 makes you wealthy, but the fact that your parents could set that much aside while still paying bills, buying food, presumably paying for your undergrad, etc. means that they are at the very least 'well-off.' for perspective, I've always considered my parents lucky financially, and there's no way in hell they have 200,000 sitting around. Also, for people whose parents have a combined income of like 20,000 a year, the idea that being able to save up 200,000 is not a big deal is pretty laughable.

Again, I really am happy for you and I hope that Harvard does everything for you that you want it to.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:53 am

Is it too late to vote for Curious1 for Most Annoying Poster?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”