NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:04 am

Curious1 wrote:
tyro wrote:
Curious1 wrote:FWIW I think what you're doing is very valuable. In my opinion there should only be 6 law schools in the country, and certainly only 6 worth going to.

Yesterday you were bragging about how your parents will be paying for your law degree, now this?


Yeah ok I wasn't bragging about it. I was saying that maybe I'm biased in the Rubenstein/HLS debate because I'm not really concerned about debt, even if I would consider myself in debt to my parents instead of the government.

And I don't see how the quoted (even if taken seriously) contradicts the position. I was being elitist before and I'm being elitist now.


Brat, "now this" does not imply that your comment here contradicts something you said earlier. tyro is pointing to the fact that you're increasingly making yourself like a jackass, and it looks like you're on a roll! yawn, i'm all for elitism though, so continue.
Last edited by Guchster on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby MTal » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:05 am

kalvano wrote:
Don't pretend that this is some noble thing you're doing. If you really cared that much, you'd be out in the really real world trying to do something about it instead of running the same old tired schtick on TLS.
Fortunately or not, this is what my current time and resources permit me to contribute. The fact that I encounter such virulent opposition to points which are so blatantly obvious suggests that I am in the right place if my goal is to make a difference. I can also tell you that I have had countless posters pm and thank me for spurring their decision to not attend or drop out. Many of these posters have communicated to me that it felt like a huge weight was lifted off their shoulders once they carried out their decision.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:06 am

Damn you MTal for making TLS mad!

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby Curious1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:07 am

Guchster wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
tyro wrote:
Curious1 wrote:FWIW I think what you're doing is very valuable. In my opinion there should only be 6 law schools in the country, and certainly only 6 worth going to.

Yesterday you were bragging about how your parents will be paying for your law degree, now this?


Yeah ok I wasn't bragging about it. I was saying that maybe I'm biased in the Rubenstein/HLS debate because I'm not really concerned about debt, even if I would consider myself in debt to my parents instead of the government.

And I don't see how the quoted (even if taken seriously) contradicts the position. I was being elitist before and I'm being elitist now.


Brat. "now this" does not imply that your comment here contradicts something you said earlier. tyro is pointing to the fact that you're increasingly making yourself like a jackass, and it looks like you're on a roll! yawn, i'm all for elitism though, so continue.


Saying you should only go to a good law school, or that I would choose Harvard over the Rubenstein, is sounding like a jackass? Have you looked at what happens in the Lounge? What strange standards we have here.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:08 am

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
jcm043 wrote:
QrI had one of these moments. I'm going to a TTT or TTTT this fall. I know where I stand and I know what to expect when I get out. I think having a realistic understand of what your going into is what most people going to a TTT or TTTT don't have. I just plan to marry a girl with money.... 8)


You seem to understand but not really internalize how stupid you are being.

Word. But at least he has such a realiatic understand of the situation, making him oh so much wiser and better than the other geniuses going to his dump school.


Which probably makes him the dumbest person at the school.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:09 am

Curious1 wrote:
Guchster wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
tyro wrote:Yesterday you were bragging about how your parents will be paying for your law degree, now this?


Yeah ok I wasn't bragging about it. I was saying that maybe I'm biased in the Rubenstein/HLS debate because I'm not really concerned about debt, even if I would consider myself in debt to my parents instead of the government.

And I don't see how the quoted (even if taken seriously) contradicts the position. I was being elitist before and I'm being elitist now.


Brat. "now this" does not imply that your comment here contradicts something you said earlier. tyro is pointing to the fact that you're increasingly making yourself like a jackass, and it looks like you're on a roll! yawn, i'm all for elitism though, so continue.


Saying you should only go to a good law school, or that I would choose Harvard over the Rubenstein, is sounding like a jackass? Have you looked at what happens in the Lounge? What strange standards we have here.


The fact that you're rich and are going to harvard while stating that only the top 6 schools should exist, with all practical impossibilities aside, makes you sound like an epic douche. HTH.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:10 am

MTal wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Don't pretend that this is some noble thing you're doing. If you really cared that much, you'd be out in the really real world trying to do something about it instead of running the same old tired schtick on TLS.
Fortunately or not, this is what my current time and resources permit me to contribute. The fact that I encounter such virulent opposition to points which are so blatantly obvious suggests that I am in the right place if my goal is to make a difference. I can also tell you that I have had countless posters pm and thank me for spurring their decision to not attend or drop out. Many of these posters have communicated to me that it felt like a huge weight was lifted off their shoulders once they carried out their decision.

Your epic narcissism is pretty fun to watch.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:11 am

romothesavior wrote:
MTal wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Don't pretend that this is some noble thing you're doing. If you really cared that much, you'd be out in the really real world trying to do something about it instead of running the same old tired schtick on TLS.
Fortunately or not, this is what my current time and resources permit me to contribute. The fact that I encounter such virulent opposition to points which are so blatantly obvious suggests that I am in the right place if my goal is to make a difference. I can also tell you that I have had countless posters pm and thank me for spurring their decision to not attend or drop out. Many of these posters have communicated to me that it felt like a huge weight was lifted off their shoulders once they carried out their decision.

Your epic narcissism is pretty fun to watch.

And I thought I was full of myself. Damn.

Gotta hand it to MTal though. He gets people riled up and keeps threads going multiple pages every time.
Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:12 am

romothesavior wrote:
MTal wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Don't pretend that this is some noble thing you're doing. If you really cared that much, you'd be out in the really real world trying to do something about it instead of running the same old tired schtick on TLS.
Fortunately or not, this is what my current time and resources permit me to contribute. The fact that I encounter such virulent opposition to points which are so blatantly obvious suggests that I am in the right place if my goal is to make a difference. I can also tell you that I have had countless posters pm and thank me for spurring their decision to not attend or drop out. Many of these posters have communicated to me that it felt like a huge weight was lifted off their shoulders once they carried out their decision.

Your epic narcissism is pretty fun to watch.


He gets tons of SBAs and works in Finance. Let's all drop out and live like Kings!

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby Curious1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:12 am

NYC Law wrote:The fact that you're rich and are going to harvard while stating that only the top 6 schools should exist, with all practical impossibilities aside, makes you sound like an epic douche. HTH.


Oh I'm definitely not rich. My parents have just saved up for a long time so I can go to law school and not have to worry about the cost.

And again, I was clearly not being serious when I said there should only be 6 schools. Obviously that would lead to an epic shortage of lawyers.

But, don't let me hijack the thread. Carry on.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:13 am

Curious1 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:The fact that you're rich and are going to harvard while stating that only the top 6 schools should exist, with all practical impossibilities aside, makes you sound like an epic douche. HTH.


Oh I'm definitely not rich. My parents have just saved up for a long time so I can go to law school and not have to worry about the cost.

And again, I was clearly not being serious when I said there should only be 6 schools. Obviously that would lead to an epic shortage of lawyers.

But, don't let me hijack the thread. Carry on.


Thinking that you're not rich when your parents can drop $200,000 on grad school is the very definition of being rich.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby Curious1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:14 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:The fact that you're rich and are going to harvard while stating that only the top 6 schools should exist, with all practical impossibilities aside, makes you sound like an epic douche. HTH.


Oh I'm definitely not rich. My parents have just saved up for a long time so I can go to law school and not have to worry about the cost.

And again, I was clearly not being serious when I said there should only be 6 schools. Obviously that would lead to an epic shortage of lawyers.

But, don't let me hijack the thread. Carry on.


Thinking that you're not rich when your parents can drop $200,000 on grad school is the very definition of being rich.


...It's a lot of saving over many decades, bit of an Asian mentality that Americans can learn from. And it would leave pretty much penniless so I had better land that biglaw gig and support them hadn't I?

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:16 am

Curious1 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:The fact that you're rich and are going to harvard while stating that only the top 6 schools should exist, with all practical impossibilities aside, makes you sound like an epic douche. HTH.


Oh I'm definitely not rich. My parents have just saved up for a long time so I can go to law school and not have to worry about the cost.

And again, I was clearly not being serious when I said there should only be 6 schools. Obviously that would lead to an epic shortage of lawyers.

But, don't let me hijack the thread. Carry on.


Thinking that you're not rich when your parents can drop $200,000 on grad school is the very definition of being rich.


...It's a lot of saving over many decades, bit of an Asian mentality that Americans can learn from. And it would leave pretty much penniless so I had better land that biglaw gig and support them hadn't I?


AND racist?

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby Curious1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:16 am

AND racist?



Being "American" is a race now?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:17 am

Curious1 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:The fact that you're rich and are going to harvard while stating that only the top 6 schools should exist, with all practical impossibilities aside, makes you sound like an epic douche. HTH.


Oh I'm definitely not rich. My parents have just saved up for a long time so I can go to law school and not have to worry about the cost.

And again, I was clearly not being serious when I said there should only be 6 schools. Obviously that would lead to an epic shortage of lawyers.

But, don't let me hijack the thread. Carry on.


Thinking that you're not rich when your parents can drop $200,000 on grad school is the very definition of being rich.


...It's a lot of saving over many decades, bit of an Asian mentality that Americans can learn from. And it would leave pretty much penniless so I had better land that biglaw gig and support them hadn't I?


In the other thread, didn't you say that you would go to HLS over Chicago with the Rubenstein because your parents were footing the bill? And this would leave them penniless? Holy shit.....

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby fatduck » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:18 am

$200,000 is worth $200,000, at present. how you acquired it is irrelevant.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:19 am

MTal wrote:
kalvano wrote:
MTal wrote:
kalvano wrote:And obviously, sitting in your mother's basement in your Spiderman underoos, drinking Mountain Dew Code Red and eating candy bars while posting angry topics on a message board is the best way to fight the power. Fuck that guy who started Law School Transparency, he ain't got nothing on you.

We all contribute however we can. The important thing is that word get out about what is happening.


Maybe if you'd spent half as much time looking for a job as you do trolling the boards, you wouldn't have had to drop out and become a bitter bitch.

I have a job, I work in the financial services industry...series 7/63 licensed broker, thank you.

Like all things in life, the above post clearly revolves around genitals. To translate: "I have a bigger intellectual and economic penis than you all." - MTal

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:19 am

fatduck wrote:$200,000 is worth $200,000, at present. how you acquired it is irrelevant.


So, if I'm rich because I've saved up a bunch of money.......I'm still rich? I don't understand.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby MTal » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:20 am

Curious1 wrote:
...It's a lot of saving over many decades, bit of an Asian mentality that Americans can learn from. And it would leave pretty much penniless so I had better land that biglaw gig and support them hadn't I?

If this isn't sarcasm, then you are an idiot. You're much better off taking that 200k and buying some rental property. Unless you are going to HYS, the chance that you won't get biglaw is way too big for you to gamble such an amount. 200k in rental property on the other hand can guarantee you a very nice fixed income for many years.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby fatduck » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:20 am

Helmholtz wrote:
fatduck wrote:$200,000 is worth $200,000, at present. how you acquired it is irrelevant.


So, if I'm rich because I've saved up a bunch of money.......I'm still rich? I don't understand.

Curious1 implied that it wasn't a big deal to spend $200,000 on grad school, because it had been saved up over many years. i was disagreeing.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:20 am

Curious1 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:The fact that you're rich and are going to harvard while stating that only the top 6 schools should exist, with all practical impossibilities aside, makes you sound like an epic douche. HTH.


Oh I'm definitely not rich. My parents have just saved up for a long time so I can go to law school and not have to worry about the cost.

And again, I was clearly not being serious when I said there should only be 6 schools. Obviously that would lead to an epic shortage of lawyers.

But, don't let me hijack the thread. Carry on.


Lol @ Curious1

Bro, not knowing when to STFU in certain threads and saying things in a particular fashion are part of the things that make you sound like a douchebag--kinda like MTal. But it's all good, it's the internets, so go ahead an piss on everyone--but be prepared to be called a jackass.

And props to MTal for dropping another drama nuke on TLS.
Last edited by Guchster on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:21 am

MTal wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
...It's a lot of saving over many decades, bit of an Asian mentality that Americans can learn from. And it would leave pretty much penniless so I had better land that biglaw gig and support them hadn't I?

If this isn't sarcasm, then you are an idiot. You're much better off taking that 200k and buying some rental property. Unless you are going to HYS, the chance that you won't get biglaw is way too big for you to gamble such an amount. 200k in rental property on the other hand can guarantee you a very nice fixed income for many years.


Did you just not read anything at all in this thread?

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby Curious1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:22 am


In other thread didn't you say that you would go to HLS over Chicago with the Rubenstein because your parents were footing the bill? And this would leave them penniless? Holy shit.....


I've discussed it with them extensively. They vehemently insist that I take Harvard over any amount of money any school would give me. I was raised to believe that Harvard is the gold standard, and both of these things affected my (hypothetical) choosing of HLS over Chicago.

Trust me, this isn't just some "oh don't you have any money to go to Harvard?". It's a huge amount of money that could be used for many many things. I was lucky enough that my parents planned for this by saving, and like I said, I would consider myself indebted to them just like I would be to the government, except these are parents and I would be helping them out should they need it regardless.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:24 am

NYC Law wrote:
MTal wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
...It's a lot of saving over many decades, bit of an Asian mentality that Americans can learn from. And it would leave pretty much penniless so I had better land that biglaw gig and support them hadn't I?

If this isn't sarcasm, then you are an idiot. You're much better off taking that 200k and buying some rental property. Unless you are going to HYS, the chance that you won't get biglaw is way too big for you to gamble such an amount. 200k in rental property on the other hand can guarantee you a very nice fixed income for many years.


Did you just not read anything at all in this thread?


LOL. I'm starting to wonder if MTal failed out of Lawl school cuz he just couldn't read.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:24 am

Flips88 wrote:Let those TTTT schools cook their employment numbers.

Image

Thank you Based god.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests