NPR Exposes the Law School Scam Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MTal

Silver

NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Post by MTal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 pm

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/16/145179563 ... nt-numbers

On a related note, it seems many here take issue with style, if not the substance of my posts. They accuse me of being too strident and "uncivil" in my posts. Here is my response:

I don't couch my posts in terms of respect or civility, because the law school deans and to be frank, the applicants who refuse to listen, deserve none. The law school scam is literally destroying lives, and that is NO exaggeration. Thousands of students are graduating with mortgage sized debt and no career prospects, again, NO exaggeration. When the stakes are so high, the situation needs to be outlined in as stark terms as possible, and as such, the need for respect and civility becomes secondary.

Again, the law school deans who are fleecing students are utterly undeserving of respect. They are building their upper class livelihood on the backs of the naive young, enticing them with false promises which in almost all cases never pan out. As for the students themselves, they deserve to hear the truth in as stark terms as possible, even if that means shattering their dreams of practicing international law from NYLS. I would expect, and indeed did expect such harsh language when describing the true state of the legal profession. Thanks to those who were willing to be honest with me, I chose not to continue and now have a wonderful job and career. I owe those who were willing to be completely honest with me a huge debt of gratitude.

Helmholtz

Gold

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:03 pm

MTal wrote:http://www.npr.org/2012/01/16/145179563 ... nt-numbers

On a related note, it seems many here take issue with style, if not the substance of my posts. They accuse me of being too strident and "uncivil" in my posts. Here is my response:

I don't couch my posts in terms of respect or civility, because the law school deans and to be frank, the applicants who refuse to listen, deserve none. The law school scam is literally destroying lives, and that is NO exaggeration. Thousands of students are graduating with mortgage sized debt and no career prospects, again, NO exaggeration. When the stakes are so high, the situation needs to be outlined in as stark terms as possible, and as such, the need for respect and civility becomes secondary.

Again, the law school deans who are fleecing students are utterly undeserving of respect. They are building their upper class livelihood on the backs of the naive young, enticing them with false promises which in almost all cases never pan out. As for the students themselves, they deserve to hear the truth in as stark terms as possible, even if that means shattering their dreams of practicing international law from NYLS. I would expect, and indeed did expect such harsh language when describing the true state of the legal profession. Thanks to those who were willing to be honest with me, I chose not to continue and now have a wonderful job and career. I owe those who were willing to be completely honest with me a huge debt of gratitude.
"Chloe Gilgan enrolled at New York Law School in 2005, with one thing in mind: getting a good paying job."

Stopped reading there. Turns out that shitty bottom-dwelling law schools will do almost anything it takes to steal people's money. Who knew.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:04 pm

Interesting article.

FWIW I think what you're doing is very valuable. In my opinion there should only be 6 law schools in the country, and certainly only 6 worth going to.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 pm

What the hell is a three figure salary?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:11 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:What the hell is a three figure salary?
$100-$999/yr. Actually not bad if you graduate from NYLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:12 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Turns out that shitty bottom-dwelling law schools will do almost anything it takes to steal people's money. Who knew.
Certainly not those posting in the NYLS class of 2015 thread, and when I TRIED letting them know, I was told to shut up and given a board warning.

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:14 pm

What school did Mtal fail out of? I am too lazy to search and find out

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:15 pm

Sounds like she got off cheap . . . "Three years after graduation, Gilgan says, the only three-figure number she's staring at is her student debt. The only job she found was doing work that did not require a law degree. Gilgan is convinced New York Law twisted its job numbers."

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:16 pm

Curious1 wrote:Interesting article.

FWIW I think what you're doing is very valuable. In my opinion there should only be 6 law schools in the country, and certainly only 6 worth going to.
lawl.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 pm

MTal wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Turns out that shitty bottom-dwelling law schools will do almost anything it takes to steal people's money. Who knew.
Certainly not those posting in the NYLS class of 2015 thread, and when I TRIED letting them know, I was told to shut up and given a board warning.
I have a feeling that if they're on TLS, they already know whatever you're going to tell them (and think they can beat the odds or whatever; I can't really defend them, but if they want to go to NYLS or San Diego Law or whatever and discuss it on here, more power to them).

jcm043

New

Post by jcm043 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:36 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
MTal wrote:
I have a feeling that if they're on TLS, they already know whatever you're going to tell them (and think they can beat the odds or whatever; I can't really defend them, but if they want to go to NYLS or San Diego Law or whatever and discuss it on here, more power to them).
I had one of these moments. I'm going to a TTT or TTTT this fall. I know where I stand and I know what to expect when I get out. I think having a realistic understand of what your going into is what most people going to a TTT or TTTT don't have. I just plan to marry a girl with money.... 8)

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:40 pm

MTal wrote:
Good god you are whiny.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:45 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:45 pm

Let those TTTT schools cook their employment numbers.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:45 pm

The legal market is saturated, but it isn't THAT saturated.

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:48 pm

Quit sounding like a bitter, angry law school dropout who lost the game, and then maybe more people will listen.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:51 pm

This is dumb

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:54 pm

STLMizzou wrote:What school did Mtal fail out of? I am too lazy to search and find out
A T2, presumably Cardozo.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:55 pm

NYC Law wrote:
MTal wrote:
Good god you are whiny.
Whining entails complaining about something you can't change. In this case, Helmholtz asked a question and I answered it.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:57 pm

MTal wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
MTal wrote:
Good god you are whiny.
Whining entails complaining about something you can't change. In this case, Helmholtz asked a question and I answered it.
Helmholtz's rhetorical question was rhetorical

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:59 pm

MTal wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
MTal wrote:
Good god you are whiny.
That is not what whining entails. Nor did he ask a question he meant to be answered.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:02 am

is your entire statement sarcastic or just not well thought-out?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:04 am

NYC Law wrote:
STLMizzou wrote:What school did Mtal fail out of? I am too lazy to search and find out
A T2, presumably Cardozo.
I thought he went to Boalt.. Not sure where I heard that though.

I came online specifically to post this. Not that I think it hasn't been covered here, but I just think it's cool that LST was mentioned in the article. This should hopefully draw some attention to that fine website. It was cool that they posted it on a night when there is a debate and many people are paying attention to news. I saw it on Twitter and jumped on it.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:08 am

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but an opinion like this is just dumb.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:09 am

johansantana21 wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but an opinion like this is just dumb.
Check her LSN. Though apparently somebody was too good to apply to Yale.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”