NPR Exposes the Law School Scam Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Errzii

Bronze

Re: NPR Exposes the Law School Scam

Post by Errzii » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:02 am

His/her perception of money is a little distorted but other than that I don't see what the big deal is.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:17 am

You fools are derping all over mtals thread. Cut it out.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:31 am

Curious1 wrote:Interesting article.

FWIW I think what you're doing is very valuable. In my opinion there should only be 6 law schools in the country, and certainly only 6 worth going to.
There are some people I wish I could meet, and make fun of, in person. The OP and above poster are 2 of them. But I guess when you have no looks and no personality you sure have time to read a lot.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:07 pm

i appreciate Mtal's efforts. I'm not a fan of the TTT/T distinctions, because some of those schools really can be solid investments for their respective markets. However, some can be straight scams. I think that if even one NYLS applicant who sees MTal bashing NYLS decides that retaking is a better option than 200k in debt, then MTal just made the world a better place. I try to type long, personal responses to people who ask about applying with low numbers, because I hope to God that at least one of these people will realize that huge debt to a school like NYLS is probably not a great idea. Sure I don't piss on people like MTal, but if he has to annoy 1,000 people to save 1, I am ok with him.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:18 pm

MTal is the "plaintiff's attorney" of TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Well I just wastwed like 20 minutes at work LOLling at this thread.

So great. Mtal I don't really get your angle. You want to make a difference in law school student's lives but you don't have time to do anything substantial? Why even waste the time if people don't listen? Plenty of websites out there. Don't mind me though, love the threads.

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:53 pm

I'm going to defend MTal. The situation for graduates from third and fourth tier schools is nightmarish for the most part. Prospective law school applicants come to TLS to learn about schools. They go to all sorts of threads and absorb TLS's general consensus. If a stern warning prevents even one potential student from an avalanche of non-dischargeable debt, isn't MTal's action worth it?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:04 pm

Perdevise wrote:I'm going to defend MTal. The situation for graduates from third and fourth tier schools is nightmarish for the most part. Prospective law school applicants come to TLS to learn about schools. They go to all sorts of threads and absorb TLS's general consensus. If a stern warning prevents even one potential student from an avalanche of non-dischargeable debt, isn't MTal's action worth it?
I don't think the "xxxxx Law School Class of 20##" threads or the "xxxxx Law School 20## Applicants" thread is the appropriate place to do that. There needs to be a place where people actually applying to and attending these schools can exchange information and build community without being bombarded by dispassionate haters, since some people will be attending these schools even if the TLS consensus is against it. You can bet that if people could just go into any thread and try to convince people that a certain school sucks I'd be in all the NYU applicant and "class of" threads right now. TLS already has plenty of places to talk about how a particular school sucks, it's not like someone's going to come to these forums and not be exposed to the harsh reality of the law skool world.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Perdevise wrote:I'm going to defend MTal. The situation for graduates from third and fourth tier schools is nightmarish for the most part. Prospective law school applicants come to TLS to learn about schools. They go to all sorts of threads and absorb TLS's general consensus. If a stern warning prevents even one potential student from an avalanche of non-dischargeable debt, isn't MTal's action worth it?
I don't think the "xxxxx Law School Class of 20##" threads or the "xxxxx Law School 20## Applicants" thread is the appropriate place to do that. There needs to be a place where people actually applying to and attending these schools can exchange information and build community without being bombarded by dispassionate haters, since some people will be attending these schools even if the TLS consensus is against it. You can bet that if people could just go into any thread and try to convince people that a certain school sucks I'd be in all the NYU applicant and "class of" threads right now. TLS already has plenty of places to talk about how a particular school sucks, it's not like someone's going to come to these forums and not be exposed to the harsh reality of the law skool world.
I think it's exactly where it should be posted. Dumbasses should listen.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:18 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
why on earth would you do that?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:20 pm

IAFG wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
why on earth would you do that?
You just don't understand rigor.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Lol, do you even know which thread you're in? You're always pissing me off with your inane shit. I can't believe I'm defending MTal, but that's why our special TJLS snowflake has been creating these dramabomb threads to terrorize all of tls instead.

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:28 pm

I have found that Desert Fox is correct roughly 98.5% of the time

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Guchster wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:I don't think the "xxxxx Law School Class of 20##" threads or the "xxxxx Law School 20## Applicants" thread is the appropriate place to do that. There needs to be a place where people actually applying to and attending these schools can exchange information and build community without being bombarded by dispassionate haters, since some people will be attending these schools even if the TLS consensus is against it. You can bet that if people could just go into any thread and try to convince people that a certain school sucks I'd be in all the NYU applicant and "class of" threads right now. TLS already has plenty of places to talk about how a particular school sucks, it's not like someone's going to come to these forums and not be exposed to the harsh reality of the law skool world.
Lol, do you even know which thread you're in? You're always pissing me off with your inane shit. I can't believe I'm defending MTal, but that's why our special TJLS snowflake has been creating these dramabomb threads to terrorize all of tls instead.
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think bildungsroman is right. I am a bit conflicted because I agree with mtal that the "message" is an important one (although I think mtal is a douche). I have gone back and forth on the issue a few times, but I think drawing the line at "Class of" and "Applicants of" threads is a good place to do it. If someone makes a "What are my chances?" or "Where should I go?" thread, then rip the school to pieces. But there has to be a line somewhere.

Part of the rationale for drawing it there is because we all draw the line on which school is "worth it" differently. Is it okay for T6ers to bombard a T20 "Class of 20xx" thread? What about a T50's thread? Or a TTT? I've actually reported a person for trolling my "WUSTL 2L Taking Questions" thread. Time, place, and manner and all that good stuff. I don't mind being told my school sucks, and I think TTTers deserve to be told their school sucks often. But I think we all enjoy having a place for students at our individual schools to exchange information without the hordes of TLS naysayers shitting it up, and that should be preserved as much as possible.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Guchster wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:I don't think the "xxxxx Law School Class of 20##" threads or the "xxxxx Law School 20## Applicants" thread is the appropriate place to do that. There needs to be a place where people actually applying to and attending these schools can exchange information and build community without being bombarded by dispassionate haters, since some people will be attending these schools even if the TLS consensus is against it. You can bet that if people could just go into any thread and try to convince people that a certain school sucks I'd be in all the NYU applicant and "class of" threads right now. TLS already has plenty of places to talk about how a particular school sucks, it's not like someone's going to come to these forums and not be exposed to the harsh reality of the law skool world.
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think bildungsroman is right. I am a bit conflicted because I agree with mtal that the "message" is an important one (although I think mtal is a douche). I have gone back and forth on the issue a few times, but I think drawing the line at "Class of" and "Applicants of" threads is a good place to do it. If someone makes a "What are my chances?" or "Where should I go?" thread, then rip the school to pieces. But there has to be a line somewhere.

Part of the rationale for drawing it there is because we all draw the line on which school is "worth it" differently. Is it okay for T6ers to bombard a T20 "Class of 20xx" thread? What about a T50's thread? Or a TTT? I've actually reported a person for trolling my "WUSTL 2L Taking Questions" thread. Time, place, and manner and all that good stuff. I think we all enjoy having a place for students at our individual schools to exchange information without the hordes of TLS naysayers shitting it up.
There's a whole thread that agrees with this perspective (and obvs. I wouldn't want someone pissing in my new acceptance cereal, so I agree as well). http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=175810

My point is that MTal actually listened and is starting shit here to accomodate the poor TTTToilet paper doomed to a lifetime of financial instability "Class of TJLS" threads.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:45 pm

romothesavior wrote: Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think bildungsroman is right. I am a bit conflicted because I agree with mtal that the "message" is an important one (although I think mtal is a douche). I have gone back and forth on the issue a few times, but I think drawing the line at "Class of" and "Applicants of" threads is a good place to do it. If someone makes a "What are my chances?" or "Where should I go?" thread, then rip the school to pieces. But there has to be a line somewhere.

Part of the rationale for drawing it there is because we all draw the line on which school is "worth it" differently. Is it okay for T6ers to bombard a T20 "Class of 20xx" thread? What about a T50's thread? Or a TTT? I've actually reported a person for trolling my "WUSTL 2L Taking Questions" thread. Time, place, and manner and all that good stuff. I don't mind being told my school sucks, and I think TTTers deserve to be told their school sucks often. But I think we all enjoy having a place for students at our individual schools to exchange information without the hordes of TLS naysayers shitting it up, and that should be preserved as much as possible.
As long as people are being polite and citing to facts/sources, why should TLS protect c/o threads from evangelizing?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:49 pm

IAFG wrote:
romothesavior wrote: Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think bildungsroman is right. I am a bit conflicted because I agree with mtal that the "message" is an important one (although I think mtal is a douche). I have gone back and forth on the issue a few times, but I think drawing the line at "Class of" and "Applicants of" threads is a good place to do it. If someone makes a "What are my chances?" or "Where should I go?" thread, then rip the school to pieces. But there has to be a line somewhere.

As long as people are being polite and citing to facts/sources, why should TLS protect c/o threads from evangelizing?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=175810

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:49 pm

IAFG wrote:

because even polite and well-supported discussion (also: LOL) invites debate, which derails the thread's purpose (connecting with peers/upperclassmen at your school)

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:52 pm

fatduck wrote:
IAFG wrote:

because even polite and well-supported discussion (also: LOL) invites debate, which derails the thread's purpose (connecting with peers/upperclassmen at your school)
If it does derail it, maybe it was in need of de-railing.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:53 pm

IAFG wrote:
fatduck wrote:
IAFG wrote:

If it does derail it, maybe it was in need of de-railing.
this makes no sense

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:56 pm

fatduck wrote:
IAFG wrote: If it does derail it, maybe it was in need of de-railing.
this makes no sense
If people are on the verge of making a huge mistake, why shouldn't MTal go to them and say so? If he's wrong, wouldn't it be pretty easy to smack him down?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:25 pm

IAFG wrote:
fatduck wrote:
this makes no sense
If people are on the verge of making a huge mistake, why shouldn't MTal go to them and say so? If he's wrong, wouldn't it be pretty easy to smack him down?
so then the "xx c/o 2015" thread becomes a smackdown of people like MTal (who will, of course, accept defeat and stop bothering everyone, right? and then no one will ever bother the thread again? right) instead of a community thread for the school. it's like saying there's nothing wrong with people going into the NFL 2011-2012 thread every day and posting long-winded essays about how hockey is so much better than football, and replying to every post with a comparison to hockey that demonstrates the inferiority of football. yea, someone could point out that hockey-lover is an idiot, but in the meantime it gets really frustrating to use the thread to talk about football.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:27 pm

fatduck wrote:
IAFG wrote:
fatduck wrote:
this makes no sense
so then the "xx c/o 2015" thread becomes a smackdown of people like MTal (who will, of course, accept defeat and stop bothering everyone, right? and then no one will ever bother the thread again? right) instead of a community thread for the school. it's like saying there's nothing wrong with people going into the NFL 2011-2012 thread every day and posting long-winded essays about how hockey is so much better than football, and replying to every post with a comparison to hockey that demonstrates the inferiority of football. yea, someone could point out that hockey-lover is an idiot, but in the meantime it gets really frustrating to use the thread to talk about football.
Yeah, plus mistake is relative. I mean, someone who has a guaranteed job out of a school and a trust fund as well and wants to go to law school and isn't that concerned isn't making that big of a mistake. I know that's an extreme example, but still. Plus it's like the people said above about how people go around trolling about how if you're not going to Harvard you shouldn't go, Taipeimort says if you're not going to "T5" :roll: you shouldn't, while others say T20. What is and isn't a mistake is too hard to really quantify.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:30 pm

fatduck wrote:
IAFG wrote:
fatduck wrote:
this makes no sense
I mean I don't really care about the quality of the content of the NU c/o 2013 thread or whatever, so in my eyes the cost is low, but your analogy is bad because no one is hurting themselves by liking football better than hockey, it's a far more subjective determination, etc, etc. It is objectively a bad idea for the vast majority of NYLS admits to proceed.

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:31 pm

But if hockey really is better than football then those people have a right to know!! If even one person is saved from being bored by football then it is ok :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”