Year off from work before law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sks144

New

Year off from work before law school

Post by sks144 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi all,

I know it's common sometimes to have a gap year between under grad and law school, but I was wondering of anyone had any experience with taking time off after you have been in the work force, and then applying to law school?

I have worked in banking for 3 years after undergrad, but would like to take a year off before I apply to law school to move home and help my parents out with their family business (non law related)- I have already taken my LSAT, scored very well and have great recs

Mostly, it's very personally important to me to take a year and help my family- I know I may not have this opportunity again.

I was hoping the fact that work experience in itself isn't mandatory for most law schools (Northwestern excluded), that taking this time would not look bad to ad-coms.

Appreciate any advice & thank you in advance

Veyron

Gold

Re: Year off from work before law school

Post by Veyron » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:06 pm

A gap in your resume is bad for law school admissions but far worse for job applications. That being said, if you're helping with the family business, put that on the resume. Problem solved.

P.S. no need for flowers, really, just doing my job. Oh, you're too much.

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Veyron wrote:A gap in your resume is bad for law school admissions but far worse for job applications.
I don't think that's true for law schools and I believe it's only true for employment unless you have a decent excuse. I don't think everyone is looking for people at OCI who were in banking or management or consulting for two years.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Veyron wrote:A gap in your resume is bad for law school admissions but far worse for job applications. That being said, if you're helping with the family business, put that on the resume. Problem solved.

This. Just put, manager of such and such at company's name, on your resume.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Veyron wrote:A gap in your resume is bad for law school admissions
That's only if you were too high that year to hold down a job. If you take a year off to help a family business, try something new, travel, etc..., most law schools won't bat an eye (especially since a lot of people currently have a period of unemployment, especially recent grads). They like their students to have interesting backgrounds (as long as they also have good GPAs and LSAT scores).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Moriarty

Bronze

Post by Moriarty » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:54 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Veyron wrote:A gap in your resume is bad for law school admissions
That's only if you were too high that year to hold down a job. If you take a year off to help a family business, try something new, travel, etc..., most law schools won't bat an eye (especially since a lot of people currently have a period of unemployment, especially recent grads). They like their students to have interesting backgrounds (as long as they also have good GPAs and LSAT scores).
+1

In general, I don't think it's viewed negatively unless you have no explanation/have done something questionable in that year.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Most schools don't even ask for your resume, so any gaps wouldn't be looked down upon, since they probably wouldn't be looked at to be begin with.

Take time off to help your family. No worries.
Veyron wrote:A gap in your resume is bad for law school admissions but far worse for job applications. That being said, if you're helping with the family business, put that on the resume. Problem solved.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”