Scholarship off Waitlist

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TopSider11

Scholarship off Waitlist

Postby TopSider11 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Recently accepted to W&M with 14k/yr also in at OSU (in-state) expecting to get between 8k-12k/yr (based off LSN) and have Wake Forest at 28k/yr. Ive always dreamed of attending Notre Dame and would be really excited to get off their waitlist. That being said Im interested in big law but Im not really set on a location and would obviously like to keep my debt minimal. Im just wondering if there is any chance of getting scholarship money off of the Notre Dame waitlist? Ive also read about leveraging offers against each other which makes me think the William and Mary offer might help but at the same time wouldnt I have to make my deposit at W&M to keep it as a tool for negotiation? Any help would be really appreciated

cinephile

Re: Scholarship off Waitlist

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:59 pm

I don't know about Notre Dame specifically, but yes, it is possible to get a decent scholarship even if you were initially waitlisted. It may depend on why you were waitlisted though (ex. yield protect, etc.).

Yes, you probably would need to put down a deposit at the school with the highest scholarship amount in order to use it as leverage if you got off the waitlist later.

bball25

Postby bball25 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:01 pm

60K off the WL at ND in late June. I don't want to set you up for disappointment, but it can happen.

TopSider11

Postby TopSider11 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:53 pm

bball25 wrote:60K off the WL at ND in late June. I don't want to set you up for disappointment, but it can happen.

Thanks this gives me the slightest ray of hope but I wont count on it

TopSider11

Postby TopSider11 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Assuming I decide on wake, which is looking likely, would the larger scholarship from them help more in negotiating or would the smaller one from W&M help since they are more of a peer school to Notre Dame?

NYCbound35

Postby NYCbound35 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:07 pm

I got off the ND waitlist last June w/ 12k a year. I tried using WUSTL's 20k scholarship as leverage, but they weren't having it.

TopSider11

Postby TopSider11 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:15 pm

NYCbound35 wrote:I got off the ND waitlist last June w/ 12k a year. I tried using WUSTL's 20k scholarship as leverage, but they weren't having it.

Got it, so basically I shouldnt be waiting for them to throw money at me. Looks like I will really have to evaluate how badly I want to go to ND and see what makes sense with the scholarship offers I have.

bball25

Postby bball25 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Make a deposit at the school you want to go to out of the ones you have been accepted at when that time comes, and then if you get into ND you will have that decision. I was all set to go to another similar school and then changed my mind when ND made their offer.

TopSider11

Postby TopSider11 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:16 pm

bball25 wrote:Make a deposit at the school you want to go to out of the ones you have been accepted at when that time comes, and then if you get into ND you will have that decision. I was all set to go to another similar school and then changed my mind when ND made their offer.

I mean yeah I am pretty aware that a waitlist doesnt imply delayed acceptance I was just wondering if I would have more success with (possible) negotiations depending on which offer I accepted as in the bigger one from WF or the higher ranked school in W&M. Thanks for the help everyone

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”