Schools that give a boost for work experience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BeerMaker

Schools that give a boost for work experience

Postby BeerMaker » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Besides Northwestern, what other schools really like work experience? I hear that some couldn't care less and others really like it. It would be nice to have a list of schools where WE gives you an advantage.

MrAnon

Re: Schools that give a boost for work experience

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:08 pm

BeerMaker wrote:Besides Northwestern, what other schools really like work experience? I hear that some couldn't care less and others really like it. It would be nice to have a list of schools where WE gives you an advantage.

Work experience doesn't matter much anywhere. Spend the time improving your LSAT, not working.

BeerMaker

Postby BeerMaker » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:11 pm

MrAnon wrote:
BeerMaker wrote:Besides Northwestern, what other schools really like work experience? I hear that some couldn't care less and others really like it. It would be nice to have a list of schools where WE gives you an advantage.

Work experience doesn't matter much anywhere. Spend the time improving your LSAT, not working.

You likely will not get into NU without WE. There are only a handful of students who are admitted each year w/o.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:18 pm

I think a lot of schools actually value softs. It seems that UIUC does anyways. I've seen people with scores at low 160 and low 3.00 get in there, which is kind of like... what...?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:19 pm

BeerMaker wrote:
MrAnon wrote:

You likely will not get into NU without WE. There are only a handful of students who are admitted each year w/o.

Thanks. That's 1 school out of 200, or 1 out of 14, depending on how you look at it. NU isn't everyone's dream school, and everybody with work experience thinks they are shoo in

T_SAN

Postby T_SAN » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Last edited by T_SAN on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:32 pm

T_SAN wrote:MrAnon- Way to avoid the original question and include worthless commentary. I'm sure he's aware the LSAT is important.

Beer- Northwestern is the only school I've heard of that gives WE some significant weight. WE at other schools seems to be more than less a tiebreaker/small boost.
I think I heard that they like WE at Harvard, but that's pretty much the definition of a tiebreaker, since H has more 4.0/173s applying than they know what to do with. They have to differentiate somehow.

Aside from that, Northwestern.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Schools, even NU, don't give "boosts" for work experience. At NU it is basically an additional requirement rather than something that would allow you to get in when you have both LSAT/GPA sub-median. I know Harvard is moving towards having work experience as a requirement as well though I'm not sure if they've had to back off from this plan since they pulled a ton of people off the waitlist last cycle.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:39 pm

T_SAN wrote:MrAnon- Way to avoid the original question and include worthless commentary. I'm sure he's aware the LSAT is important.

Beer- Northwestern is the only school I've heard of that gives WE some significant weight. WE at other schools seems to be more than less a tiebreaker/small boost.

Thanks for the attack. And for adding nothing.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:45 pm

Work experience matters and can make a difference. However, it depends on what type of work experience you do and if you do it really well...The fact that you have work experience means you will have the law school during OCI because employers will want to hire you. This can play a factor when schools decide who to admit.

Teach for America and Peace Core applicants have advantages in the application process.

But perhaps even more importantly, work experience is beneficial when you apply to jobs. Employers like people who have experience.

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:58 pm

sparty99 wrote:Work experience matters and can make a difference. However, it depends on what type of work experience you do and if you do it really well...The fact that you have work experience means you will have the law school during OCI because employers will want to hire you. This can play a factor when schools decide who to admit.

Teach for America and Peace Core applicants have advantages in the application process.

But perhaps even more importantly, work experience is beneficial when you apply to jobs. Employers like people who have experience.

I'd say TFA and Peace Core have advantages in the app process, but little effect during the OCI process as that isn't really the type of WE employers are looking for.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:07 pm

It gives a boost anywhere. If all things were equal and someone had more work experience, you better believe that the person with more WE wins 9.9 times out of 10.

Obviously focus on your LSAT and grades because it is most important in terms of admissions. But to say that WE doesn't give a boost is asinine.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:11 pm

TFA/Peace Corp experience shows interest in public service, a key component of public interest positions.

TFA/Peace Corp is good experience for firm jobs. TFA is highly regarded and well know. Teaching shows the ability to plan, speak in public, and ability to teach/consult. These are skills any employer would covet.

Peace Corp shows ability to work with others from diverse backgrounds, ability to adapt to new and foreign environments and foreign language skills. These are traits that you would want as an employer.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:27 pm

sparty99 wrote:TFA/Peace Corp experience shows interest in public service, a key component of public interest positions.

TFA/Peace Corp is good experience for firm jobs. TFA is highly regarded and well know. Teaching shows the ability to plan, speak in public, and ability to teach/consult. These are skills any employer would covet.

Peace Corp shows ability to work with others from diverse backgrounds, ability to adapt to new and foreign environments and foreign language skills. These are traits that you would want as an employer.

Bit of a stretch. TFA/Peace Corps show the ability to get involved in public interest when it matches up nicely with your self-interest. These programs offer a convenient, feel-good alternative to working a shitty job. And, hey, they look pretty good on a resume too.

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:13 pm

I think it depends on the circumstances and type of WE. Most people going straight from college to law school are not going to have full time WE, so I don't think most law schools will penalize people in that group for not having it. Most able-bodied people who have been out of school for several years are going to have full time WE, so I don't think law schools will reward people in that group for having it. For example, I was out of school for several years and have been working full time since graduation, but I don't feel it helped my cycle in any way given what was predicted. For people in the first group, I think any kind of significant WE would set them apart. For people in the second group, I think it would take something awesome about the WE to set them apart.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”