Average full-ride vs. T14 sticker Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hookem12

Bronze

Average full-ride vs. T14 sticker

Post by hookem12 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Seen lots of differing opinions in the short time I've been on the forum, but I thought I'd throw this out here. I'm still waiting on some acceptances, but so far I have the option of receiving a full-ride to a lower ranking (but still good) school, such as Georgia or BC, or attending a T-14 where I'd definitely be paying sticker. I wouldn't need to take out loans to cover tuition and living expenses during my time in law school, but a full ride is just so tempting. What do you all think the best course of action is, with the main priority being job prospects after graduation?

iamrobk

Bronze

Re: Average full-ride vs. T14 sticker

Post by iamrobk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:39 pm

For me, it would depend on which T14 and which T1 school. If it's, say, Georgetown at sticker vs. UCLA full ride, I'd go UCLA. But NYU sticker vs. BC full ride? I'd probably go NYU.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:17 am

Depends on what kind of job prospects and your employ-ability without the JD. If you want a shot at a prestigious firm at 160k, T14. If you don't care about that kind of job, I'd say go for the full-ride if you have a decent non-law backup plan. If you strike out at your law goal, you can still fall back to your non-law job without much debt (you still have to take out loans to live for 3 years). Also don't forget T14 gives you a good chance to land a market paying SA that can net you 35-30k.

Having the numbers to get a full ride doesn't always translate to top 10%, so make sure you don't foreclose opportunities down the road by choosing the wrong school.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:27 am

Double check that the full ride scholarship doesn't come with stips (e.g. You have to maintain a certain gpa or class rank to keep your scholarship). If it does, that's a huge risk to take on, and I'd lean toward the T-14.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:28 am

r6_philly wrote:Depends on what kind of job prospects and your employ-ability without the JD. If you want a shot at a prestigious firm at 160k, T14. If you don't care about that kind of job, I'd say go for the full-ride if you have a decent non-law backup plan. If you strike out at your law goal, you can still fall back to your non-law job without much debt (you still have to take out loans to live for 3 years). Also don't forget T14 gives you a good chance to land a market paying SA that can net you 35-30k.

Having the numbers to get a full ride doesn't always translate to top 10%, so make sure you don't foreclose opportunities down the road by choosing the wrong school.
r6's response is credited. Just want to emphasize the "a shot." Of course, it will depend on which t14 you are talking about, but beware though that you still need to be at certain top percent at a t14 to get biglaw as well.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:31 am

target wrote: r6's response is credited. Just want to emphasize the "a shot." Of course, it will depend on which t14 you are talking about, but beware though that you still need to be at certain top percent at a t14 to get biglaw as well.
Thanks for the emphasis. I think Penn and up top 60% gives you a very good shot at landing a market paying big law gig if the rest of you is middle of the road (personality, interview skills, etc.).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”