2012 USNWR School Rankings

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
MobyDick
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby MobyDick » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Curious1 wrote:Hey Chicago is a great school. In fact all this pro-Chicago trolling has me thinking that Chicago is almost as good as Harvard, and if they decided to throw me a Rubenstein I may go.


There are certainly numerous advantages to Harvard, but depending on what you want to do with your JD, a Rubenstein might be the best option. At any rate, there are few better dilemmas!

Good luck.

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Like Scarlet, Illinois and Emory will take a tumble.

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Campagnolo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Not that it matters what I think, but anyone who passes up a Rubenstein for any reason whatsoever, is a fool.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Curious1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Not that it matters what I think, but anyone who passes up a Rubenstein for any reason whatsoever, is a fool.


I'm glad you led with that.

There are many reasons to pass it up (for Harvard). Here are 3.

1) The person is independently wealthy and the tuition doesn't matter
2) The person wants to go into academia
3) The person has a significant other/family ties in Boston

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Curious1 wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:Not that it matters what I think, but anyone who passes up a Rubenstein for any reason whatsoever, is a fool.


I'm glad you led with that.

There are many reasons to pass it up (for Harvard). Here are 3.

1) The person is independently wealthy and the tuition doesn't matter
2) The person wants to go into academia
3) The person has a significant other/family ties in Boston


The first one, if taken to the extreme, is the only one I think is remotely viable.

You can graduate from a T-5 without paying anything. That sounds like the best route because academia is far from guaranteed from Harvard and Chicago places a fair amount into academia as well.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Curious1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:15 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:Not that it matters what I think, but anyone who passes up a Rubenstein for any reason whatsoever, is a fool.


I'm glad you led with that.

There are many reasons to pass it up (for Harvard). Here are 3.

1) The person is independently wealthy and the tuition doesn't matter
2) The person wants to go into academia
3) The person has a significant other/family ties in Boston


The first one, if taken to the extreme, is the only one I think is remotely viable.

You can graduate from a T-5 without paying anything. That sounds like the best route because academia is far from guaranteed from Harvard and Chicago places a fair amount into academia as well.


But remember Harvard has one of the most generous loan repayment programs. So graduating from Harvard and going into academia is essentially free no matter how much money you had to borrow, because they will pay it for you.

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Curious1 wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:Not that it matters what I think, but anyone who passes up a Rubenstein for any reason whatsoever, is a fool.


I'm glad you led with that.

There are many reasons to pass it up (for Harvard). Here are 3.

1) The person is independently wealthy and the tuition doesn't matter
2) The person wants to go into academia
3) The person has a significant other/family ties in Boston


The first one, if taken to the extreme, is the only one I think is remotely viable.

You can graduate from a T-5 without paying anything. That sounds like the best route because academia is far from guaranteed from Harvard and Chicago places a fair amount into academia as well.


But remember Harvard has one of the most generous loan repayment programs. So graduating from Harvard and going into academia is essentially free no matter how much money you had to borrow, because they will pay it for you.


So you would rather have as your back-up plan the option to take a very low-paying academia job (assuming you could get one) out of Harvard just because you had to pay a ton of money to attend and really wanted academia rather than being debt-free out of UChicago and have more freedom of choice after graduation? (e.g. not take a low-paying job to qualify for loan forgiveness)

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Curious1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:21 pm

So you would rather have as your back-up plan the option to take a very low-paying academia job (assuming you could get one) out of Harvard just because you had to pay a ton of money to attend and really wanted academia rather than being debt-free out of UChicago and have more freedom of choice after graduation? (e.g. not take a low-paying job to qualify for loan forgiveness)


So I think it goes like this:

If Harvard --> academia, then free, because LIPP
If Harvard --> firm job, then take out/pay loans, but they're manageable because high salary

If Rubenstein --> academia, then free, because Rubenstein pays for it, but this is less likely
If Rubenstein --> firm job, then free, because Rubenstein pays for it

Personally, the lay prestige is worth very much the extra cost. But this is beside the point, because I'm not paying for it, and the people that are (parents) are even more gung-ho than me that I should go to Harvard at any cost, so I think I have my decision made.

I was making the point that if you wanted to go into academia, it becomes the same because they would both be free, and you would be MORE LIKELY to get an academia job out of Harvard. Thus, people who want to go into academia should choose Harvard.

And this is very definition of a champagne problem.

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Campagnolo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 pm

I can't imagine thinking that Harvard with loans, then Vault firm, then profit is better than Chicago, then exact same Vault firm, then profit from day one.

I don't care about this argument, because there have been to Ruby offers yet. I'm just saying that it's kind of a short-sighted position to think Haahvahd trumps.

And I'm out.

User avatar
IndyHCKM
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby IndyHCKM » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:57 pm

I may be biased, and this is somewhat off the main topic, but I thought Legends159 made a few good comments about the Rubenstein issue last year in this thread.

FYI the treasury department has just finished a 10 year study and concluded that $1 is still worth more than 1 prestige point. So go for the full ride. that's money in your pocket.

If prestige is important to you, Rubenstein gives you that. If you go to HYS you're just one among the whole class who are at HYS. You won't feel special cause you're not special. You actually aren't even special compared to non-HYS law students b/c being a law student is really freaking unprestigious. There is nothing prestigious about being in debt, being poor, and not having the legal training to even file a complaint pro-se.

Whereas at Chicago you're one among very few who have a full scholarship so at least you have that to hang onto on those cold days (3/4 of the school year) when you need something to cheer you up. And you can go out with your buddies and make it rain like a baller cause you don't need to worry about debt.

And years from now when you say you went to Chicago you can always say "I went to Chicago b/c they gave me a full ride" if you want to. But please don't cause being a lawyer is deucy enough. Though I really doubt anyone will care years from now if you said "I went to Chicago" v. "I went to Yale." Maybe 0Ls will care, so you can use that line to pick up chicks at undergrad bars (though I've yet to see an ugly w/ no game pick anything up by name dropping their law school -- seriously who thinks law students are cool--besides law students?)

pcwcecac
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:32 am

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby pcwcecac » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:04 pm

UCI top 20!

maybe 2014.....

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Renne Walker » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:02 pm

Keep in mind the rankings do not matter because All Law Students Go To Harvard. . . .true, watch any TV show (movies too) and the lawyers are always from Harvard. I think if a lawyer claimed to be from NYU, Penn, Columbia, they would fire the script writers.

Americans must think there is only one law school in the nation. . .not really, some might believe Yale and Princeton have law schools too.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby robin600 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Like Scarlet, Illinois and Emory will take a tumble.


LMFAO! I love this viral video, thanks for reminding me how hilarious it is.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Get this 0L shit out of the fucking forum for law students.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:09 am

I hate TLS.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:17 pm

After quickly running some numbers, I would say there is roughly an 80 percent chance that Chicago will overtake Columbia, but less than a 5 percent chance they would overtake SLS.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby mattviphky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Curious1 wrote:Hey Chicago is a great school. In fact all this pro-Chicago trolling has me thinking that Chicago is almost as good as Harvard, and if they decided to throw me a Rubenstein I may go.


yeah, totally. Me too.

User avatar
Dale
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:58 am

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Dale » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Over the last three years very little has changed. The addition of Texas and Berkeley dropping out of the T-6 is about it.

UVA-Duke-NW-Cornell-GTown have been lined up the same exact way for the past three years. One slight position change is Chicago overtaking NYU (both still T-6). I have noticed references to MVP, shouldn’t it be PMB. . . that just doesn’t look as cool (sorry B).

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Curious1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:03 pm

mattviphky wrote:
Curious1 wrote:Hey Chicago is a great school. In fact all this pro-Chicago trolling has me thinking that Chicago is almost as good as Harvard, and if they decided to throw me a Rubenstein I may go.


yeah, totally. Me too.


Welllllllllllll that settles the Harvard V. Chicago debate for me. Good luck to all the rest of you.

User avatar
instantwonton
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby instantwonton » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:33 pm

Curious1 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
Curious1 wrote:Hey Chicago is a great school. In fact all this pro-Chicago trolling has me thinking that Chicago is almost as good as Harvard, and if they decided to throw me a Rubenstein I may go.


yeah, totally. Me too.


Welllllllllllll that settles the Harvard V. Chicago debate for me. Good luck to all the rest of you.



While I personally love HLS and will 90% be going there (or possibly Yale if I get in), I do agree with the earlier post that referenced other threads about the Ruby's prestige. A lot of people get into HLS and only very few get the Ruby. I think the Ruby would definitely win if you were just looking at prestige.

User avatar
lovejopd
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby lovejopd » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:45 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Like Scarlet, Illinois and Emory will take a tumble.

The ranking of Emory is going down further?... :shock:

User avatar
PopTorts13
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby PopTorts13 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:20 am

Curious1 has a passion for Harvard, a Harvard Law fan if you will. There is no debating with those who wonder through life with rose colored glasses and their parents bank account paving the way for them. :roll:

Ruby Recipient>A simple Harvard admissions recipient

Then again, superficial ignorance is bliss.

User avatar
Jah'rakal
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Jah'rakal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:09 am

UCI would overtake UCLA




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, genjustice and 8 guests