2012 USNWR School Rankings

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Dale
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:58 am

2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Dale » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:23 am

Does anyone know when the 2012 USNWR law school rankings will be released?

Any guesses on what schools might go up, or down? Assuming HYS have the top three locked up, I suppose the first question might be if one of the T-6 schools will drop out. Penn and UMich are tied for 7th, will one own the #7 spot or perhaps jump up a notch. Will UVA or Bloat break the #9 tie? Will the T-14 go back to 14 schools? Is it possible that one school will drop out of the T-14? If Jack Nicholson were reading this I’m sure he’d say. . .I want answers!!

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby traehekat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:25 am

They will most likely come out some time in March. Not to beat a dead horse here, but fluctuations in rankings mean nothing. HTH.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:25 am

lolwut

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:36 am

I realize this is frivolous conjecture, but I'm hoping Georgetown drops out of the T14. I like chaos and it would throw things off a bit.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Guchster » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:50 am

bernaldiaz wrote:I realize this is frivolous conjecture, but I'm hoping Georgetown drops out of the T14. I like chaos and it would throw things off a bit.


Image

Eliyahu7
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:03 am

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Eliyahu7 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:52 am

Sources predict that Northwestern will jump up to number 9

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:33 am

Dale wrote:Does anyone know when the 2012 USNWR law school rankings will be released?

Any guesses on what schools might go up, or down? Assuming HYS have the top three locked up, I suppose the first question might be if one of the T-6 schools will drop out. Penn and UMich are tied for 7th, will one own the #7 spot or perhaps jump up a notch. Will UVA or Bloat break the #9 tie? Will the T-14 go back to 14 schools? Is it possible that one school will drop out of the T-14? If Jack Nicholson were reading this I’m sure he’d say. . .I want answers!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

American_in_China
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby American_in_China » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:38 am

I think Gtown will take a hit to be honest- logically speaking, they have the huge class size, so it'll be harder for them to maintain medians. School like Vandy, with 200 people and UT can fill their classes with southerners relatively easily, since UT dominates Texas and Vandy is the go to for most southern applicants that want to practice in the South. If Gtown doesn't take a hit, then I think GWU will. Just too many students in DC, which is already a prime market for all of the T14. Somewhere down the line, the schools in that market are gonna start hurting.

Other than that, I can't see a big shakeup. I think NW might get a boost from its new ED.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:40 am

American_in_China wrote:I think Gtown will take a hit to be honest- logically speaking, they have the huge class size, so it'll be harder for them to maintain medians. School like Vandy, with 200 people and UT can fill their classes with southerners relatively easily, since UT dominates Texas and Vandy is the go to for most southern applicants that want to practice in the South. If Gtown doesn't take a hit, then I think GWU will. Just too many students in DC, which is already a prime market for all of the T14. Somewhere down the line, the schools in that market are gonna start hurting.

Other than that, I can't see a big shakeup. I think NW might get a boost from its new ED.

And other than the order of a list, NOTHING will change.

User avatar
zdamico
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby zdamico » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:54 am

Chicago and Columbia will switch.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby sparty99 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:54 am

I really see Wisconsin moving up and mirroring their football team ranking. I see Georgetown maintaining T14 status with the presidential election approaching. All the pretentious liberals will want to be in the city for Obama's re-election.

Some of my sleeper picks include UCLA. Dean Moran was named one of the Top 100 Influential Hispanics by PODER Hispanic Magazine. I think this will get them at least a two spot increase. Expect Minnesota to replace Illinois and Northwestern will have the strongest increase, breaking into the Top 10 and benefiting from a rebound in the Chicago market and a new TopShop on Michigan Avenue.

Other than that, I can't see a big shakeup.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:59 am

sparty99 wrote:I really see Wisconsin moving up and mirroring their football team ranking. I see Georgetown maintaining T14 status with the presidential election approaching. All the pretentious liberals will want to be in the city for Obama's re-election.

Some of my sleeper picks include UCLA. Dean Moran was named one of the Top 100 Influential Hispanics by PODER Hispanic Magazine. I think this will get them at least a two spot increase. Expect Minnesota to replace Illinois and Northwestern will have the strongest increase, breaking into the Top 10 and benefiting from a rebound in the Chicago market and a new TopShop on Michigan Avenue.

Other than that, I can't see a big shakeup.


well done, would read again

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby KevinP » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:05 am

I'm guessing Illinois is going to drop a few spots.

User avatar
Antilles Haven
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 am

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Antilles Haven » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:51 am

US news ranking conjecture: shit we cared about as -1Ls

User avatar
Errzii
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:09 am

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Errzii » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 am

why is this in the law school students forum lol

User avatar
downing
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby downing » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:26 pm

My school will probably drop by another two spots for no particular reason, except that that's been the trend.

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby I.P. Daly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:44 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:I realize this is frivolous conjecture, but I'm hoping Georgetown drops out of the T14. I like chaos and it would throw things off a bit.


Has one of the following schools ever dropped out of the US News top 14?

University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, in Berkeley, CA.
University of Chicago Law School, University of Chicago, in Chicago, IL.
Columbia Law School, Columbia University, in New York, NY.
Cornell Law School, Cornell University, in Ithaca, NY.
Duke University School of Law, Duke University, in Durham, NC.
Georgetown University Law Center, Georgetown University, in Washington, DC.
Harvard Law School, Harvard University, in Cambridge, MA.
University of Michigan Law School, University of Michigan, in Ann Arbor, MI.
New York University School of Law, New York University, in New York, NY.
Northwestern University School of Law, Northwestern University, in Chicago, IL.
University of Pennsylvania Law School, University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia, PA.
Stanford Law School, Stanford University, in Palo Alto, CA.
University of Virginia School of Law, University of Virginia, in Charlottesville, VA.
Yale Law School, Yale University, in New Haven, CT.

User avatar
D'Angelo
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:29 am

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby D'Angelo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Image

User avatar
Kendi
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Kendi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:17 pm

Many schools took a real hit the last time around (dropping -10 places), I wonder how many will bounce back. Then there are those hoping to become (or get back to) Tier 1.

User avatar
MobyDick
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby MobyDick » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:26 pm

zdamico wrote:Chicago and Columbia will switch.

+1

Chicago also has an outside shot of overtaking Stanford. They now have identical GPA medians, and Chicago's LSAT median is a point higher. But, of course, Stanford is Stanford.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Curious1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:27 pm

MobyDick wrote:
zdamico wrote:Chicago and Columbia will switch.

+1

Chicago also has an outside shot of overtaking Stanford. They now have identical GPA medians, and Chicago's LSAT median is a point higher. But, of course, Stanford is Stanford.


Oh God here comes the Chicago trolling again. Does the admissions office pay people like you and Taipeimort to come on here and post obsessively, or do you just collectively have the biggest inferiority complex ever?
Last edited by Curious1 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Ok first off, don't reference A Few Good Men if you can't do it properly. Jack never says "I want answers." He asks if Daniel Kaffee if he "wants answers." To which Danny replies, "I want the truth."

Second, what everyone else said about the rankings.

User avatar
MobyDick
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby MobyDick » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:37 pm

Curious1 wrote:
MobyDick wrote:
zdamico wrote:Chicago and Columbia will switch.

+1

Chicago also has an outside shot of overtaking Stanford. They now have identical GPA medians, and Chicago's LSAT median is a point higher. But, of course, Stanford is Stanford.


Oh God here comes the Chicago trolling again. Does the admissions office pay people like you and Taipeimort to come on here and post obsessively, or do you just collectively have the biggest inferiority complex ever?


One post in a rankings speculation forum does not qualify as obsessive. I'm aware that Stanford will most likely remain 3rd, which is why I called it an "outside shot," but it is worth noting in an arena like this that Chicago's numbers jumped significantly--enough so that they will at least have to be considered against Stanford.

(Perhaps I should contact Taipemort and ask about his U Chicago admissions gig. I could use a few extra bucks)

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby Curious1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:41 pm

MobyDick wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
MobyDick wrote:
zdamico wrote:Chicago and Columbia will switch.

+1

Chicago also has an outside shot of overtaking Stanford. They now have identical GPA medians, and Chicago's LSAT median is a point higher. But, of course, Stanford is Stanford.


Oh God here comes the Chicago trolling again. Does the admissions office pay people like you and Taipeimort to come on here and post obsessively, or do you just collectively have the biggest inferiority complex ever?


One post in a rankings speculation forum does not qualify as obsessive. I'm aware that Stanford will most likely remain 3rd, which is why I called it an "outside shot," but it is worth noting in an arena like this that Chicago's numbers jumped significantly--enough so that they will at least have to be considered against Stanford.

(Perhaps I should contact Taipemort and ask about his U Chicago admissions gig. I could use a few extra bucks)


Hey Chicago is a great school. In fact all this pro-Chicago trolling has me thinking that Chicago is almost as good as Harvard, and if they decided to throw me a Rubenstein I may go.

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: 2012 USNWR School Rankings

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Ranking is hardly driven by the statistics of the students.

Stanford's student statistics (LSAT/GPA) aren't what has kept it in the top 3 schools.

If schools were ranked purely on LSAT / GPA, Berkeley and UMich would take a huge tumble.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 11 guests