Two Underage Citations...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ShouldvebeenaCPA

Two Underage Citations...

Postby ShouldvebeenaCPA » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:14 pm

I know this topic has been exhausted, but I am paranoid and would like an honest, scare tactic-free answer to my question. I am applying to several T-14 law schools, but I have two city ordinance underage drinking citations that were issued a year apart (when I was 19 and 20). The first one was dismissed, the second is still pending but I will probably have to take a class and then get it expunged in a year. The second one was a bit unfair (obviously I won't say that in my addendum) as the cops gave everyone in the establishment, whether or not they were 21 or even drinking (I wasn't) some sort of citation (several over 21 year olds got PI's).

ANYWAY, point of the ramble is: is this going to affect me very negatively? I'm concerned because I have two, which would give the appearance that I am irresponsible; I'm actually just always in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have a 3.93, double major, and a slew of softs that are relatively impressive. And I am also nervous. Thanks for your help!

Magnolia

Re: Two Underage Citations...

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:14 pm

They're not really going to care. You have two drinking citations, not two DUI's or two murder convictions. Would it look better if there were only one citation? Yes. Are schools likely to reject you because you got caught drinking twice? No.

Just be honest and forthright in your disclosure. Accept responsibility, avoid excuses, etc. etc. At this point, there's nothing you can do about having them on your record. Just disclose and move on with your life.

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:42 pm

I don't know but it can't hurt you too much. Just make your personal statement about how you matured a lot and everything. I wouldn't doubt that somebody on the committee got caught being stupid when they were young. I also wouldn't doubt that most of them did do such a thing when they were young but didn't get caught. Seriously underage citations are a dime a dozen at least at my college. I tried a few cases involving underage alcohol consumption.

ShouldvebeenaCPA

Postby ShouldvebeenaCPA » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:21 am

See, I wouldn't be as worried if I had just one. But I'm afraid two might make me look like a foolish drunk. Hopefully the fact that I haven't failed school and volunteer will sort of offset that. Does anyone know of any T-14 schools that only ask about convictions?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:56 am

I wouldn't sweat it. My record is pretty identical and my cycle has been pretty good.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”