Unique situation - advice appreciated

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justbreathe1

Unique situation - advice appreciated

Postby justbreathe1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:48 pm

So, I’m in kind of a unique situation here. I’m just going to get straight to the point: For the last year or so, I’ve been working as a stripper at a gentlemen’s club. I suppose not too many top law school applicants have done this, and believe me, it wasn’t my first choice of jobs. But after graduating college with a useless liberal arts degree and being unable to find any kind of full-time employment, I went to the audition feeling down on my luck and out of other options. Though I do not particularly enjoy what I do and feel degraded a lot of the time, it is what it is. It pays the bills.

During my time as a dancer, I have started to really build a passion for the law. I see law school as my opportunity to get out of this nasty business and make something of myself. I have a pretty good GPA (3.75) and although I still have not taken the LSAT, I plan to put my all into studying so that I can hopefully get a good score and go to a good school. I’d like to take it in June or October and start school in 2013.

My question though is: Is my current job going to affect my chances of getting into a good law school and then down the line getting a job as a lawyer? I mean, putting “stripper” under your work experience on your resume doesn’t exactly look fantastic, and I’m worried that this has already marred my professional reputation too much. I don’t personally know any other dancers who have gone on to law school, so I have no idea how other people who have done this have fared.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

twenty

Re: Unique situation - advice appreciated

Postby twenty » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Though I do not particularly enjoy what I do and feel degraded a lot of the time, it is what it is. It pays the bills.

Definitely going to change after law school. :D

In all seriousness, I highly doubt any profession is going to limit your options in law school. 3.75 is a pretty impressive GPA, and with an equally impressive LSAT, you should be just fine.
Last edited by twenty on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:51 pm

I would say no. You aren't doing anything illegal, correct? You can always write an addendum stating why you fell into the job you did at the time.

Law schools will take you.

SouthernPride_10thAm

Postby SouthernPride_10thAm » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:54 pm

I'm not exactly sure if law schools discriminate against strippers, but it would be pretty heinous if they did.

omninode

Postby omninode » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:54 pm

Didn't hurt Diablo Cody.

justbreathe1

Postby justbreathe1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Thank you for advice. Yes, I would hope law schools don't discriminate, but I think I am more worried about what future employers will say. And after browsing these forums for a bit and seeing the amazing full-time jobs that most applicants to top law schools have managed to secure, I feel a bit lacking in comparison. But this does make me feel better.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:00 pm

I can't believe you guys fell for this

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:01 pm

justbreathe1 wrote:Thank you for advice. Yes, I would hope law schools don't discriminate, but I think I am more worried about what future employers will say. And after browsing these forums for a bit and seeing the amazing full-time jobs that most applicants to top law schools have managed to secure, I feel a bit lacking in comparison. But this does make me feel better.

Make the grades. The rest won't matter.

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:14 pm

I know a lawyer that was the biggest madam in both England and then Boston! You can do anything!

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:27 pm

justbreathe1 wrote:My question though is: Is my current job going to affect my chances of getting into a good law school and then down the line getting a job as a lawyer? I mean, putting “stripper” under your work experience on your resume doesn’t exactly look fantastic, and I’m worried that this has already marred my professional reputation too much. I don’t personally know any other dancers who have gone on to law school, so I have no idea how other people who have done this have fared.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Perhaps change it to Entertainer? This is a bad economy; stripping to pay the bills is better than not having money to pay the bills. Honestly, I don't think law school will hold it against you if you explain. And as for your future reputation, let's honest, rarely are there lawyers with completely clean records. It's either drug usage, or prostitution, or getting arrested, or cheating on their spouse in orgies... who knows? Yours is no less degrading than the rest of their stuff

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:35 pm

just dont put it on your app

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:39 pm

justbreathe1 wrote:Thank you for advice. Yes, I would hope law schools don't discriminate, but I think I am more worried about what future employers will say. And after browsing these forums for a bit and seeing the amazing full-time jobs that most applicants to top law schools have managed to secure, I feel a bit lacking in comparison. But this does make me feel better.

--ImageRemoved--

omninode

Postby omninode » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:44 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:I know a lawyer that was the biggest madam in both England and then Boston! You can do anything!

GO ON...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”