Why is it easier to get into part time law

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thisistonyj

Why is it easier to get into part time law

Postby thisistonyj » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:04 pm

I noticed it was quite a bit easier to get into some schools in their part time program vs. their full time counter parts. Why is that? At the end of the day the degree is the same right?

seahawk32

Re: Why is it easier to get into part time law

Postby seahawk32 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:57 pm

I assume because less people apply for part time.

2ndCircuit

Postby 2ndCircuit » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:17 pm

no difference in the degree, the degree does not indicate day or evening division. easier may be based on various factors, less people applying, the school's understanding that older students have been out of school environment for a while. this also influences lsat score, which may be a bit lower since the longer departure from school setting. work experience is invaluable, helps understand certain aspects of law being taught, ex. contracts class may be easier to understand through visualization and work experience. not necessarily easier since most people in evening division already have full time jobs, families, and career paths laid out. hence they know what they want, they have more at stake, and will fight more to get the best grades in order to receive scholarship money usually awarded to the top ranking students.

Aeroneous

Postby Aeroneous » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:42 pm

On a related note, does a part time program hinder your job prospects when compared to full time? Since you'll likely be on a different timetable than the full time candidates, I would think it might be more difficult to secure a summer internship with a law firm.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Aeroneous wrote:On a related note, does a part time program hinder your job prospects when compared to full time? Since you'll likely be on a different timetable than the full time candidates, I would think it might be more difficult to secure a summer internship with a law firm.

Purely anecdotal, but I had no problem securing an internship last summer (my 1L year.) Mind you, my tune may change come this May. But seriously, no - the biggest problem most of my friends and I are having is deciding when to give up (or how to take a leave from) our day jobs, in order to take summer gigs.

2ndCircuit

Postby 2ndCircuit » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:46 pm

if you are working either part time or full time while attending school as evening student, then it may be a bit difficult to work out the times to fit in a summer internship. but it is not impossible, just takes adjustments and compromises from both the internship supervisor and the employer. but if you are not working and attending evening division then there is no reason why you cannot apply to summer internships that day students apply to. although there are some internships that target minority students and those are based on when you graduate, ex. can apply after 1L if day student for the summer and can apply after 2L if evening student because the internship is designed to fit two years prior to graduation.

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Aeroneous wrote:On a related note, does a part time program hinder your job prospects when compared to full time? Since you'll likely be on a different timetable than the full time candidates, I would think it might be more difficult to secure a summer internship with a law firm.

I started last semester in a part time program while I finished up publishing an article I had been working on my senior year of college. I've since switched into the full time program, but I know well of your concern. For firms, being an evening student can, in the early years, impact your job hunt. Sometimes positively, sometimes negatively. Assuming you are referring to NALP/biglaw, 1L summer jobs, while very very rare for full time students, are, barring some connection, out of the question for part timers.

Second year can be hit or miss. From what I gathered from NALP, about 30-40% of large firms will take part time students after the second year. So technically, as an evening student you could land 2 SAs before graduation. Once you've hit third year, you are basically 2L status and any firm that has a summer program will no longer care if you are in the evening program. The hard part for most working students is deciding when to give up on their current job to find something legal. Aside from large firms, most public service externships, small firms/solo practitioners, and judges don't seem to care all that much.

I think the part time program can be a fine option, and I certainly enjoyed my semester as an evening student. The crowd is certainly different, and probably far more intimidating than any 1L day section. I struck up a conversation with a classmate on the first day. He proceeded to tell me that he had his BA and MPA from Yale, and an MD from Harvard Med. Many of the students were very, very accomplished and had a perspective on life that typical 1Ls just don't have in most cases. I will admit, there was a bias against students who were in the program but were not working during the day. I was working on my publication anywhere from 20-30 hours per week, and I still felt it from time to time. I guess it makes sense, though, as most of the section worked a 40+ hour week, were likely married, and some of whom even had kids.

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:11 am

I recall reading that the USNWR recently started factoring part time attendee LSAT/GPA, and that schools have adjusted policy accordingly. I really wish that weren't the case, because frankly it would be nice to work, not be broke, take fewer class, and have a better shot at a higher-ranked law school (one you'd otherwise pay sticker for anyway).

asoli

Postby asoli » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:32 am

3v3ryth1ng wrote:I recall reading that the USNWR recently started factoring part time attendee LSAT/GPA, and that schools have adjusted policy accordingly. I really wish that weren't the case, because frankly it would be nice to work, not be broke, take fewer class, and have a better shot at a higher-ranked law school (one you'd otherwise pay sticker for anyway).

+1 I read the same thing. I believe well see part time stats get closer and closer to full time.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”