Sending in Apps Now (LATE!)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sandiego222

Sending in Apps Now (LATE!)

Postby sandiego222 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:49 am

Just how bad is it to send in apps this late?

Personal circumstances have affected the geographic location in which I would like to apply. As a result, I am considering schools like Berkeley and Stanford....

I know that Berkeley in particular emphasizes applying early, but how much of an impact does this have? Is there any hope for someone who falls along their median GPA/ LSAT?

rinkrat19

Re: Sending in Apps Now (LATE!)

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:04 pm

It's hard to quantify, but your odds are CONSIDERABLY worse. People start getting accepted before Christmas (at some schools) and multiple batches of acceptances have been sent out by this point.

If you must apply this year, go ahead and apply. But be prepared to either settle for a much lower school than you were aiming at, or to wait a year and apply next cycle. (I reccommend the latter. Waiting never hurt anyone.)

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:14 pm

I guess it depends on the school?

If you can wait: do wait and increase your chances.

If you can't wait: send it. while your odds may have decreased if you're on the border, a qualified candidate is still a qualified candidate.

Good luck, and hope you get into one of the two at least =)

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Do you have fantastic numbers? If so, I think you'll be alright. If you're borderline, wait if you can.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:19 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:a qualified candidate is still a qualified candidate.

Timing also affects scholarship money at schools that have begun handing out awards already (some schools, like Northwestern, don't even start thinking about money--except for ED candidates--until March.) You might get in, but you may not get the scholarship you would have gotten if you'd applied early.

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You might get in, but you may not get the scholarship you would have gotten if you'd applied early.

Yeah, this be true.

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:22 pm

That's a very good point Rinkat.

Um, SanDiego, do you need scholarship money? Or are you doing loans? If you're doing loans, you can just go. Otherwise, it might be a little tight this year ^^;

SouthernPride_10thAm

Postby SouthernPride_10thAm » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:26 pm

You could always do university of toronto or montreal.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:29 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:That's a very good point Rinkat.

Um, SanDiego, do you need scholarship money? Or are you doing loans? If you're doing loans, you can just go. Otherwise, it might be a little tight this year ^^;

What kind of dog is it? Is your dog?~ :D I have two poodles (Black & White) :lol:

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:41 pm

lovejopd wrote:

What kind of dog is it? Is your dog?~ :D I have two poodles (Black & White) :lol:

actually, it's not mine; it's a look-alike of my friend's dog. they're alaskan... something, but gosh they're adorable ^___^ <3

are your poodles miniature or big?

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:46 pm

puff0ffluff wrote: do you need scholarship money? Or are you doing loans? If you're doing loans, you can just go. Otherwise, it might be a little tight this year ^^;

Wow...

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:21 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
puff0ffluff wrote: do you need scholarship money? Or are you doing loans? If you're doing loans, you can just go. Otherwise, it might be a little tight this year ^^;

Wow...

hey, some people aren't as lucky as others when it comes to scholarship money. they do what they can, so give them some credit -_-;

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:37 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:

Wow...

hey, some people aren't as lucky as others when it comes to scholarship money. they do what they can, so give them some credit -_-;
Are you physically capable of typing a post without adding a smiley?

If not, that would be a valuable skill to work on.

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:
lovejopd wrote:

actually, it's not mine; it's a look-alike of my friend's dog. they're alaskan... something, but gosh they're adorable ^___^ <3

are your poodles miniature or big?

Toy size <10 pounds! I was under the impression that you are Asian female(Chinese or Korean-could be wrong please do not get offended) because emoticons used in Asia are somewhat different from ones used in the States(^_^ vs. :-) or lol)!

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
puff0ffluff wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:

Wow...

Nothing wrong with the use of a smiley/emoticon when you consider the obsessive/habitual use of "lol, LMAO" on Facebook/TLS, which is a variation of smiley in the States. :lol:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:18 pm

lovejopd wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
puff0ffluff wrote:hey, some people aren't as lucky as others when it comes to scholarship money. they do what they can, so give them some credit -_-;

Nothing wrong with the use of a smiley/emoticon when you consider the obsessive/habitual use of "lol, LMAO" on Facebook/TLS, which is a variation of smiley in the States. :lol:
I hate that too. Just because [B] is obnoxious doesn't mean [A] isn't equally obnoxious.

I use smileys. But not in EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. POST. when they add nothing to what I wrote.

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:46 pm

^_^ o-o *_* c_c k_k

i like smileys. freedom of speech and press. deal with it or don't go to law school.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:35 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:^_^ o-o *_* c_c k_k

i like smileys. freedom of speech and press. deal with it or don't go to law school.
There is no first amendment argument when you're posting on an internet message board owned by a private party. Just FYI.

And at least I have the (figurative) balls to call someone out on the forum proper, rather than in private messages.

Also FYI, those aren't smileys. Those are random pairs of letters separated by an underbar. There is no human emotion or facial expression represented by the letter 'k'

kingofspain

Postby kingofspain » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:24 am

Does anyone have actual data on acceptance rates relative to date of submission?

I'm 100% sure admissions offices everywhere track how many applications they get throughout the cycle each year and can predict pretty closely how many they should expect during each part of the cycle. So the idea that they would not have enough spots left late in the cycle to accommodate the rush seems off to me.

But again: I'd really like to see data but can't find any. Anyone?

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:46 am

kingofspain wrote:Does anyone have actual data on acceptance rates relative to date of submission?

I'm 100% sure admissions offices everywhere track how many applications they get throughout the cycle each year and can predict pretty closely how many they should expect during each part of the cycle. So the idea that they would not have enough spots left late in the cycle to accommodate the rush seems off to me.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:49 am

Rinkrat needs a hug.

larsoner

Postby larsoner » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:03 pm

kingofspain wrote:Does anyone have actual data on acceptance rates relative to date of submission?

Check out the Northwestern thread. The OP posted some nice graphs on acceptance rates for those who applied in December, January and February.

Edit: Sorry I lied. Check out the UChicago applicants thread.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”