TLS has lost its collective mind

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Younger Abstention

Re: TLS has lost its collective mind

Postby Younger Abstention » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:10 am

Mtal's point isn't bad. The problem is he lacks sufficient standing to make the claim.

Errzii

Postby Errzii » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:19 am

Is it wrong that law schools put out deceptive/misleading employment data? Yes, BUT people are also responsible for doing their own research about the schools they choose to attend. TLS is evidence that reliable information is readily available for anyone who seeks it. If anyone is willing to invest 100-200k without gathering any more information other than what schools themselves claim I say it's at least partially their fault and they have to take responsibility. If a law school is being sued for misinformation that's probably a red flag not to fucking go. That being said, I don't think it's anyone else's business what these people do after they've committed to a decision. Insulting them after they've already made the decision is trolling in my book.

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:39 am

paul34 wrote:
MTal wrote:
NYC Law wrote:It's never been acceptable to post that shit in on-topic threads for entering classes. Keep your trolling contained to general threads like this one.

It's never been acceptable to make people aware of fraud that is being perpetrated on them?

That isn't the point, MTal. The point is that there are rules for those particular threads. You should respect those rules. If you disagree with them, fine, but start another discussion about your disagreement and reasons which you feel justifies changing the rule. I don't know the reason for that particular rule, but if I had to guess, it's most likely to keep those threads on topic and not a thread in which others crap on that particular school.

So you're saying it's ok for NYLS to perpetrate it's utterly shameless scam to the tune of 200k/person for the sake of "keeping threads on topic"?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:44 am

MTal wrote:
paul34 wrote:
MTal wrote:
NYC Law wrote:It's never been acceptable to post that shit in on-topic threads for entering classes. Keep your trolling contained to general threads like this one.

It's never been acceptable to make people aware of fraud that is being perpetrated on them?

That isn't the point, MTal. The point is that there are rules for those particular threads. You should respect those rules. If you disagree with them, fine, but start another discussion about your disagreement and reasons which you feel justifies changing the rule. I don't know the reason for that particular rule, but if I had to guess, it's most likely to keep those threads on topic and not a thread in which others crap on that particular school.

So you're saying it's ok for NYLS to perpetrate it's utterly shameless scam to the tune of 200k/person for the sake of "keeping threads on topic"?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:12 am

paul34 wrote:
MTal wrote:

That isn't the point, MTal.If you disagree with them, fine, but start another discussion about your disagreement and reasons which you feel justifies changing the rule.

He's already done plenty of those.

MTal wrote:So you're saying it's ok for NYLS to perpetrate it's utterly shameless scam to the tune of 200k/person for the sake of "keeping threads on topic"?

No, none of us are saying that. There is just no need for you to jump into a school's application thread to try to show these people "the light." We are all adults who make our own decisions, consequences and all. Ultimately, your rants all lead to the same question: why do you care what other people are doing? How will the debt these people incur affect your life in the slightest? You go on and on about how great your job is and how great your life is since you dropped out of law school. It's fantastic that you found success somewhere else (being sincere). But there is really no reason for you to keep peddling this anti-law school rhetoric when you are no longer involved in the profession and you are not effected by what others do, however ill-fated their decisions may be.

Redzo

Postby Redzo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:35 am

I'm MTal and I'm here to help! By ridiculing you and telling you how stupid you are! Up, up and away!

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:54 am

MTal wrote:So you're saying it's ok for NYLS to perpetrate it is utterly shameless scam to the tune of 200k/person for the sake of "keeping threads on topic"?

Fixed again.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:00 am

The people at NYLS have nothing to complain about.

New York Law School is very similar to New York University School of Law. In fact, if I didn't know TLS, at first glance, I would have thought they were the same. If you can't use that too your advantage, then you shouldn't be a lawyer.

inthebeginning

Postby inthebeginning » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:05 am

He's clearly trying to get people NOT to go to NYLS so he can get off the waitlist.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:15 am

I wish I went to NYLS. NYC is the bomb.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:34 am

I'm not sure that everyone on this forum knows that going to a school like new York law school is a terrible idea. If everyone knew that, why are people still going at full tuition? (my guess is that they believe they will get a great job with a high salary after they graduate.) Personally I care about letting other people know why it is a terrible idea, because I am not sure they actually understand the level of deception. I know I have recently seen posts here where people still believe the employment data posted on a school's website.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:16 am

I love this forum. What is best about it is the large population of vigilantes. Dark Knights who are protecting us from the TTTTs lurking in dark alleyways. And then to get a gift like this, the hero expressing his frustration to his constituency. Priceless. I think there needs to be a forum for frustrated vigilantes so MTal and the others can vent to similarly frustrated vigilantes: the guys trying to warn people about the dangers of buying a condo or owning an Audi. I would read that forum.

omninode

Postby omninode » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:01 am

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:
Grizz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Cool

Story

Bro

I love that this happened. Oh, how I love it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:19 am

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:I love this forum. What is best about it is the large population of vigilantes. Dark Knights who are protecting us from the TTTTs lurking in dark alleyways. And then to get a gift like this, the hero expressing his frustration to his constituency. Priceless. I think there needs to be a forum for frustrated vigilantes so MTal and the others can vent to similarly frustrated vigilantes: the guys trying to warn people about the dangers of buying a condo or owning an Audi. I would read that forum.

Enjoy debtor's prison.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:39 am

To be fair, have you guys read that NYLS thread? I'm honestly not sure if it isn't some gigantic ironic performance art exercise.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:I love this forum. What is best about it is the large population of vigilantes. Dark Knights who are protecting us from the TTTTs lurking in dark alleyways. And then to get a gift like this, the hero expressing his frustration to his constituency. Priceless. I think there needs to be a forum for frustrated vigilantes so MTal and the others can vent to similarly frustrated vigilantes: the guys trying to warn people about the dangers of buying a condo or owning an Audi. I would read that forum.

Enjoy debtor's prison.

That made me laugh, could I beg a bowl of gruel, Guvna?

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:20 pm

Debt from Condo/Audi purchases can be discharged in bankruptcy. Debt from attending law school cannot.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Its fine for Pless/UIUC to come on and drum up interest in UIUC by saying pretty much anything they want unchecked but oh my god if Mtal goes off topic but says some genuinely useful things lets throw him off the board.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:00 pm

MrAnon wrote:Its fine for Pless/UIUC to come on and drum up interest in UIUC by saying pretty much anything they want unchecked but oh my god if Mtal goes off topic but says some genuinely useful things lets throw him off the board.

Pless may have been an ass, but he kept his posting to UIUC threads only. If he went into a thread for those applying to Indiana or Minnesota or Wisconsin and started talking about UIUC, he probably would have been told to stop as well. There are plenty of places on this board to criticize schools like NYLS (see both this section and the "Choosing a Law School" section, and probably the "Ask a Law Student/Recent Graduate Section if one is a law student/recent graduate and wants to criticize their school, and in the employment forum if directly related to employment).

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:15 pm

MTal wrote:

Debt from Condo/Audi purchases can be discharged in bankruptcy. Debt from attending law school cannot.

so, do you also work at soup kitchens and save young immigrants from indentured servitude? Or is the extent of your crusading helping upper middle class kids avoid crappy law schools?

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:17 pm

keg411 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Its fine for Pless/UIUC to come on and drum up interest in UIUC by saying pretty much anything they want unchecked but oh my god if Mtal goes off topic but says some genuinely useful things lets throw him off the board.

Pless may have been an ass, but he kept his posting to UIUC threads only. If he went into a thread for those applying to Indiana or Minnesota or Wisconsin and started talking about UIUC, he probably would have been told to stop as well. There are plenty of places on this board to criticize schools like NYLS (see both this section and the "Choosing a Law School" section, and probably the "Ask a Law Student/Recent Graduate Section if one is a law student/recent graduate and wants to criticize their school, and in the employment forum if directly related to employment).

Oh I see, so perpetrating fraud is perfectly acceptable as long as it's done in the "right" thread, but exposing fraud and creating awareness of it is totally unacceptable if it's done in the "wrong" thread?

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:28 pm

the fact that it's mtal posting shouldnt in any way discredit the ultimate message. it's a totally valid point. the title is correct in that youre gouging the messenger despite an otherwise fine argument

when mtal says "youre dumb" for attending a t2 at sticker i fail to see the convincing argument to the contrary.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:41 pm

The only trolls on this board are those who post in one thread about how wonderful their school is then go off in another and post under an anonymous moniker about how they can't find any work. This is unhelpful to future law students and provides a misleading impression about schools.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:48 pm

MTal wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Mtal, tact is the ability to make a point without making an enemy. This should be relevant to your interests.

You think I care about making enemies? I am equally as proud of having enemies as I am of having friends. Both of them define me.

Lay off the Nietzsche, big fella.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:48 pm

MTal wrote:Oh I see, so perpetrating fraud is perfectly acceptable as long as it's done in the "right" thread, but exposing fraud and creating awareness of it is totally unacceptable if it's done in the "wrong" thread?

The mods/admins have the ability to make anything they desire acceptable or unacceptable. There are certain standards of decorum on TLS and one of those is that it isn't okay to criticize schools in the accept/reject/waitlist and Class of 201X threads. You have tons of other forum space to make these kinds of arguments. If the mods/admins wanted to they could decide that criticizing any law school is against the rules, but they haven't.

From an exposure standpoint, these people have plenty of opportunities to see how bad things are. There are news articles from respected outlets being printed and hundreds of threads about it on TLS. There are other forums that are even harsher than TLS. In my mind I think they are turning a blind eye to the rest of TLS and generally just posting in the thread for that given TTT. Going in to that thread isn't going to change a damn thing and is just going to make them defensive and even less receptive to the message. I could be wrong though. It could be that going into those threads is the best way to "help" them. But it doesn't fucking matter since the mods/admins have made that sort of thing off-limits.

In the end, why do you give a damn if you're violating forum rules? Just spread your message in the way you see fit and if they mods/admins don't like it, fuck 'em.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”